Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting VRT back on purchased car

• 19-11-2021 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Quick q - if I buy a car that was imported, and VRT paid by the prev owner, and I move to the UK i.e. converting it back on to UK plates, can I claim back the VRT?

I'm going on the assumption that what I've paid the previous owner for the car included the cost they had to build into their price with the vrt.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,429 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes you can, however be sure that the car didn't qualify for VRT exemption when it was originally imported in here, if it did you would get nothing.

Here's how you apply for refund...

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/export-repayment-scheme/what-is-the-vrt-export-repayment-scheme.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭SwordofLight

Didn't think about that one, thanks !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Just make sure that you attend VRT export examination in NCT centre before the car leaves Ireland.

Otherwise you won't be able to claim vrt back.

All of this is actually pretty straight forward process which includes mentioned above VRT export examination, and then sending filled in forms (available on Revenue website) together with a proof that car was exported within 30 days (i.e. ferry ticket) and proof that it was registered in the UK (i.e copy of V5C)

I've done that with 2 cars back in 2017 and 2018 without any hassle.

Got more refund than I expected.

Turns out that on top of VRT refund sum which you can calculate on VRT export calculator available on revenue website, you also get interest accumulated during the time car was registered in Ireland.

My understanding of this is that i.e car get's a €2000 VRT paid in 2015 when imported, and now in 2021 when exported €1000 VRT refund is due. That pretty much means that this €1000 which is now being refunded was held by revenue for 6 years, and that's why interest on that sum is due.

I'm not certainly sure on technicalities, but what I'm sure is that this interest is being added to the refund sum.

Advertisement