Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you spend on Christmas?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People dont have the cojones to do this as they get piled on by people blethering on about the 'magic' and so forth.

'Santy' is probably the greatest driver of greed and overconsumption in kids in the West. Families going to loan sharks just to buy whatever tat because of a commercial idealised image of Xmas.

That's just fcuked up.

Around €500 in total for gifts. Though, we usually ask the recipients for ideas! We only buy for our parents, children and their partners and a treat for ourselves, usually a day out, a concert or an overnight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭neenam

I was asked to be in a secret santa. Managed to get out of it thankfully with some expenses next year, it was stressing me wondering what to get. I still have a ss for work, but something generic like nice chocolate should do. I'll get something for the mother and something that the rest of the fam at Christmas can do together - Catan, other board games and hopefully an outing together. My kind of Christmas, the only fuss is really the dinner and the decos.

I'd like to get away from the crackers with the tat that just gets thrown away after use, but other family members will want them. There are DIY crackers are possible to make, just need to buy the snaps if I get the time to make them (would be good to make with children to help if they're around) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbtHIhkaY_8

IMO Christmas is for children, I don't mind getting them presents - just there's no need to go over the top with the expense - a lot of children value the experience gifts with a family member, they'll more likely remember that than material things bought for them. Though in saying that there are 1-2 things from childhood that most of us have always valued (and probably still do) so I'd still put some thought in getting a nice present for a child, quality > quantity.

Oh and will be tucking into some books that I've neglected to read, old and new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I wouldn't spend Christmas.

Advertisement