Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I want to lock keys into car - VW Jetta

• 17-11-2021 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

VW Jetta MK6, is it possible to lock the key into the car. I want to park the car in a train station where it will be collected later on in the afternoon by a family member using the spare key to unlock the car. I will be leaving at stupid o'clock AM so this way saves someone having to get up early to drive me to the station and can collect the car at a more convenient time. I don't want to take the key with me travelling for fear I might lose it (away for 2 months) due the huge expense of replacing it.

In the old days you would push down the button and lift the door handle etc.

Comments

I’ve no idea but it sounds like a thing to try out during the next lockdown 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Can you open just the boot using the fob?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Pop the bonnet, lock the car and place the keys on the engine and bobs your uncle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jaysus.

Just get a taxi to the station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭standardg60

Was thinking the same, lock the car with the boot open, put the key in the boot and close it. If it won't lock with the boot open do the same with the bonnet and put the key under the bonnet somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Open the drivers door, press the button on the door to lock central locking, then pull handle of drivers door outwards as you close the door, this should leave the button down when it closes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Unlock the car, open a door, press lock on thr keyfob, put the keys where you want to hide them, shut the door.

And just like that, the keys are locked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I could and pay €50-€90 for a 30km journey which is totally not worth it.

I am able to open the boot, lock the car and then close down the boot door which locks - perfect, I can let the keys in the boot and this is a perfect workaround, thanks guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭ForestFire

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,145 ✭✭✭✭beertons

• Advertisement

Not even that complicated.

Unlock the car as normal with the key.

Open a door and leave it open.

Lock the car as normal with the key (but keep the door open).

Put the key into the car where you are hiding it.

Shut the door that you had left open.

All the doors will be locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Does this model Jetta have the 'hold down the Lock-button on the Fob and any open windows will close ?

Just leave a window open, get out and shut the door, hold down the lock button....and as the window closes drop the key down onto the floor of the Car.

Or just lock the car as normal, and post the key back to your home address before boarding your Train, Flight, etc.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Could you not just pick the car and put the key behind the wheel. Or even get a small magnet and stick it to the exhaust

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jorry

Did this before, but unintentionally....

Lock the car normally with key fob, open the boot with the fob boot button, place key fob in boot, close boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Wouldn't work with my car. Doors wont lock with the fob with a door open.

Maybe using the manual key backup is the best way to lock the keys in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Same as that for me, doors won't lock with a door open. My method is to open the boot, proceed to lock the car doors, place key in boot, close boot and it is then locked thus securing key inside car until the other driver can collect the car with the spare key to bring it home.

A Jetta definitely will. I've done it before, plenty of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Op has a Mk6 Jetta. Came out in 2011ish. Just tried this on a '12 Octy (surely the electrics are comparable, if anything the Octy would be even less secure) and it does not work.

I dunno, i do this almost daily locking trade cars out for lads picking up after hours and stuff mostly VW product. Has never not worked. Just tried it on my admittedly much newer 2019 Golf as you had all given me the fear of doubt and it worked.

I cant understand how it wouldn't.

Unlock the car, open a door, press lock on the keyfob with door open, put the key inside, shut the door. Door is now shut, car is locked, keys are inside.

I made a youtube of it.

https://youtu.be/giSFSiAcPhg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Doors will lock off the remote with any door except drivers open.

• Advertisement

Eh, you did that with the boot, not the driver's door as you claimed previously?

None of my posts say drivers door?

Ah c'mon, we all know when you said open a door you weren't talking about the boot.

You must have tried it with a door open before using the boot, does it work with a door open or doesn't it?

We may as well be definitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

It only works if you do it by accident at the worst possible time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭monseiur

Lock car as normal with fob. Then unlock with fob and open front passanger door only, do not touch the drivers door, hide keys in car and close door. The car will automaticall lock within 2 minutes. It's a inbuilt security thing that's in all VAG cars with central locking. I learned the hard way !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I have been thinking the same... How come we have 2 threads from 2 different OPs about the same subject, started on the same day. Methinks someone is having a laugh at the expense of the forum.

Just checked my own 05 vag there, it will lock with any door open bar the drivers.

May be different with newer cars though.

Well my particular Mk7 doesn't do it because it has keyless entry and the car knows the key is in it so it wont lock it in with the key in the passenger compartment. On a non keyless car, the process in the video will work with the doors too.

I have my Octavia back today, i'll record it later.

• Advertisement

Ah that's interesting, so even with keyless you can lock it by putting the keys in the boot?

Funny that it doesn't sense the key there.

Advertisement