Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three SIM deals

• 17-11-2021 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

I'm getting rid if FTTH connection as I'm only in the place on weekends.

Was looking at this.....

3 Prepay 20

Am I correct that I can just put this in my phone and run it as a hotspot?

Is the data genuinely unlimited?

If I was to put the SIM in a router, what would people recommend?

Also, does this work by me topping it up by €20 each month and then I can stop it when I like?

Cheers.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭RonTon

I dunno ,for the hassle I’d keep the FTTH , I see some of the providers have introductory offers of €30/month if you can get something similar I’d stick with it .

I have a 3sim in a b818 modem/router connected to a mesh system ,works great but I’d change in an instant if I could .

you top up account every 28 days ,easy to do

but I don’t have option of FTTH ,check comreg.ie and see what masts are close

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Yeah you can put a sim in a phone, run it as a hotspot and yes the data is unlimited. Yes you can just use it on a month by month basis.

The main downside to this is that if there are no devices connected to the hotspot, the phone will disable the hotspot (power saving feature) and you will have to manually re-enable it each time you want to use it, which I found quite frustrating after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭EarWig

So most people would use a router not a phone. Which router would be best for the 3 Prepay 20 SIM?

I'd keep the ftth on the cheapest option of 150 mb speed.

Then eir offer mobile sim to be added to the account for ten euro a month..it has unlimited texts ,calls and unlimited data..you can have up to five of these sims on your account.

• Advertisement

FTTH is categorically out. I don't want the hassle of cancelling at the end of the discount period. I know we all differ on this.......

Yes there is something odd about the attitude towards mobile broadband on this forum.

If you’re only using it on weekends you could try 48.ie, 100GB data limit. They’ll send u a free sim with 1GB on it to test. Dunno what new customers are paying, I’m on €11p/m.

Any router with a sim slot will do (once it’s 4G compatible), I have a TP-Link which I’m happy with. Try adverts.ie for a second hand one.

Yes this is the Midband section after all.

Don't care for watching my usage either, so 48.ie is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Providing you have good coverage in the area and inside (!) with good 4G router yuo can have desent setup.

Huawei B593(severely outdated model) should get you tops ~50DL

B525 could manage tops ~150DL

B818 could go beyond

All three models have option for external antenna if coverage/signal issue inside.

All three models have standard phone (RJ11) connection - can be used as home phone to use out credits. Could be limited to SIM free devices only as ISP's could have locked that in their firmware.

Congestion, signal quality and all consequenses related to that, comes as free, "standard" feature to all mobile broadband users :D

And do test before you switch over, just to reduce frustration, not to find yourself on 5-10DL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I used to be with THREE with their All You Can Eat €20/month, sticking the SIM card into a router, worked a treat giving me 50mb speeds... and I live in the countryside.

Stopped it in favour of Imag!ne broadband once it became available. Used to give 250mb speeds... now it just averages at 50mb.

Wish I had FTTH though... :(

• Advertisement

I tested my GOMO sim in an old router and got 60 down and 30 up. That was in the morning.

Got to laugh though that the upload speeds exceeded VM's 250 offer.

I would like more data than 120gb though.

Maybe my FTTH provider will blink and make me an offer I can't refuse before the cancellation period runs out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Will have to check the GoMo thread but are they acting on the FUP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Ported to 48 a while ago, get about 10 - 30Mbps down avg, data is 100GB per month got in on the 8.99 p/m. Think you can PAYG with 48 also. Never any issues always on. What i like about 48 is you can give other 48 users your unused data like say if another family member ran low, its called flexi data. I only use it on phone not in any router or for any other devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Three have friends and family that gives you 20% off for three or more devices (10% for 2)

Means my SIM only and broadband is €24 per month. (Wife's phone is on the plan too)

If you are near a mast (check site viewer) and put the router at an upstairs window in direction of the mast, you can get excellent speeds - mine rarely goes below 10mb and usually is in the 25-30mb range.

Is 48.ie €9 a month now? I’m on €11 p/m. I wonder can I get them to put me on €9. Maybe I’d have to sign up again with a new SIM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

No it's still 11 euro.OP said he joined a while back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

its the 10.99 / 11 still good value for 100GB and free calls and texts to any network

Advertisement