Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer in the Civil Service 2021 (Nationwide)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭furrybones

Oh that's brilliant. I was told your service doesn't carry over which is a bit ridiculous, glad to hear it does!

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

I was top 5 for my county so I was interviewed pretty quickly.

In the CO booklet it states "It is not envisaged that appointments will be made from this competition after 31st January 2023."

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Moomooland

So far PAS has called 92 OOM for Cork and 24 OOM for Limerick to stage two

• Registered Users Posts: 48 newbraces

I moved from local authority to CS and my service carried over but it was not based on my salary so I took a big hit in pay. I was on pt 4 of the grade 4 salary scale (in Local authority) and they gave me pt 4 of the grade 3 salary scale (in CS) which was a lot less. They said it goes on your years of service not salary. I was able to carry my annual leave of 27 days though…

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Vologda69

I moved from public service 8 months ago. Just realised my 26 days leave entitlement is now gone to 22. Wonder would it be too late to get peoplepoint to look into it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 newbraces

No I don’t think so. Just ask your last employee for a copy of your verification of service form and the annual leave should be in it along with your start date and pt on the scale. If it’s not just ask them to confirm what your leave entitlement was. You can then forward that to HR then and if they don’t update your leave balance send it to the union for advice. But I’d say they will update your leave, they probably just overlooked it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Fisherman32

.Does anyone know How long till you hear back from PAS once you send your Garda vetting back? Is the wait long? Has anyone a rough/approx-time frame

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sugarcoat321

I got mine back within 7 days. I was already in the civil service so had done garda vetting previously so maybe that was why it didn't take long and I have never lived abroad either.

From the time my garda vetting came back and I started in the new job it was around 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭doc22

How did you carry 27 days the max a CO is entitled to is 26....

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭garryowenman

I recently went for interview with Limerick county council for the clerical officer position. I passed my interview. I have come 12th in the panel. The panel is for one year does anyone if i have much chance of being called?

• Advertisement

3 year cycle? You can carry days over for 2 years but you have to use them all in the 3rd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Kirbi

It is in the civil service, but public service orgs often have different terms & conditions of employment. In particular, Councils / Local Authorities are known for having more annual leave than the civil service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Sorry I think this question may have already been asked, I can’t locate it though but can somebody moving from local authority to their civil service keep their salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭doc22

The 27 days is the annual entitlement from the local authorities which was carried over, a CO in the CS isn't entitled to that, the fact they allowed increments for grade IV service is unusual as it's not analogous to a CO but rather EO is another weird one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Emmah82

Hi @imagusaran ,

Your post is so informative and detailed thank you so much for sharing.

I have my interview next week for the CO open call 2022 . I am hoping to leave the retail sector after 20 years and am very nervous for the interview in particular I heard they ask about your MS office skills which I would say I'm comfortable with but have never used Mail Merg or alot of the formulas. Can you remember if they asked you about this..

Any interview tips would be greatly received. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 46 imagusaran

Hi @Emmah82

Yeah they did ask about Microsoft Office. My interview was over a year ago now but this is what I remember from the top of my head:

Microsoft Word: They asked how often I use it, how comfortable I am with using tables and do I have any experience in using it for 'long' documents.

Microsoft Excel: They definitely did ask me about it but I can't remember what the questions were exactly. I think they asked me about my experience/how often do I use it and maybe a couple of other questions.

Microsoft Outlook: Again, asked for experience. They also asked a question around BCC - know what this is and try decipher if they're asking you about it cos this is one where you will be caught out! I only knew what answer they were looking for cos everyone had talked about it on the boards thread for the panel I was on! They asked me something like, if you were to email a customer and you wanted your manager to see it without the customer knowing, what would you do. I said I would do one of two things. First, I would send it to my manager before I send it to the customer so they can see it that way. Second option would be to BCC my manager into the email I am sending to the customer. I could tell by their faces that I had given them the answer they were looking for!

If they ask you about a particular tool that you're not sure about, I would say to you to maybe watch some YouTube clips to try and get it into your head what they're about. If you can't do this, I would be totally honest with them and say they you don't use it in your everyday working life so you are unsure but that you would be more than willing to learn more about it if you need it for the job. They would rather you be honest than you giving them waffle!!

In terms of interview tips, I actually did up a doc for a friend who did his interview for this panel and I also sent it to someone here who dm'd me, both passed the interview and my friend started his new job recently enough. I'll try and see if I can dig it out later and can send it to you privately on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

just to add onto what you said for @Emmah82

including the password protection of attachments.

use the STAR method in your replies to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Emmah82

Hi @imagusaran , thank you so much for coming back to me . great tips and I will most definitely look at a few YouTube clips to find out more about mail merge and pivot tables. if you find that document it would be gratefully received

• Registered Users Posts: 46 imagusaran

Hey @Emmah82 I've sent that on to you there and there is a bit included on the STAR technique another poster mentioned above

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ConorL76

Hi! Any chance you could send on that interview advice doc to me? Would be GREATLY appreciated if you could!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WHIreland

Does anyone know where the other thread is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

Hi mate is there any chance you could pass that on to me as well? Would really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭bunawillanlad

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Elzbellz

Hi, could anyone tell me how many certified sick leave days you get when you have done 8 months of probation as CO?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Booella69

Its one year probation and my contract stated 12 certified sick days

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jmd1234

Do you mind me asking where you called to interview I’m 112 for Meath for EO recruitment. Many thanks

would anyone know how long approximately would it take to be called for interview after filling out the location preferences (forms)?

@furrybones can I pick your brains? Did you have to fill out the location preference form before or after your interview? Thanks 😊

• Advertisement

Thanks for that 😊

Advertisement