Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Rules and Score Entry through Golf Ireland App

Options
  • 17-11-2021 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

How does it work with winter rules and entering a score through the golf ireland app, is 6inch placing still ok for handicap? Assume dropping off to the side couldn't be counted as a qualifying round. bunkers out of play.

What about when we rest a hole and play 17 holes some weeks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Counting scores can only be either the Front 9 by itself, Back 9 by itself or the Full 18 played.

Placing on fairways is fine and can be counted. However, if it’s placing in the rough then counting isn’t possible. If though it’s clean and REPLACE in the rough it can be counting scores.

Having to bring your ball to the rough (if you hit fairway) isn’t counting as you’re picking a preferred lie in the rough.

EDIT: the 17 holes actually might be fine for a counting comp now

Post edited by callaway92 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Thanks for the reply.

Our course will more than likely bring in dropping off to the side from December to march, I'm assuming if I played off a mat from the fairway it could be counting. Would really like to keep entering scores, feel I concentrate better when there is something at stake but need to weight that with using a mat which is horrible in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Your club Competitions Committee will need to decide and then enable score entry for the Golf Ireland app.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Gringuss

@Snotty - If it's strictly fairways that you need to use a mat on then you could continue to submit general play, however as per my club - the marked off areas where you need to use a mat also include some first cut running alongside the fairway - hence no more qualifying golf. Golf Ireland stipulate that it's only preferred lies (use of mat) on areas cut to fairway height or less can continue to be handicap counting. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 13 weapon of grass destruction

I'm new enough to golf where I'm not sure on some rules. This year is the only time I've played winter golf. I was told by numerous people that your handicap won't get adjusted during winter golf because of pick and place and forward tees. But yet I was cut 2.1 strokes by golf ireland for winning 2 club Stapleford competitions. The forward tees or yellow tees are the exact same as the ladies tees on 4 holes, and no shot starts from the white tees where my handicap was earned. The course is far easier to play during winter. With the pick and place and the forward tees on every hole should the competition scores be submitted to golf ireland? Many friends from other clubs have said there club doesn't send them in. Appreciate any feedback cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

All tee boxes are rated, you would have less shots usually on the more forward tees.

15 handicap index

White tees playing handicap (PH) 16

Yellow Tees PH 15

If placing only on the fairway it can be qualifying and handicap can be affected. If placing in the rough it’s not possible to qualify. There is a local rule that can allow either drop or replace in the rough and qualify but I’m unsure of the exact rule if it’s drop or replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

You should talk to your club handicap secretary for clarification as they'll have applied the adjustment and can explain your situation properly.

Regardless of tees and non-counting rules, if you produce an exceptional score (or run of scores). You can be cut manually by the handicap secretary at any time and this is separate from the top 8 of your last 20 scores. This would be considered a general play cut.

It covers situations where someone has improved dramatically and their handicap isn't reflective of current playing ability.

It's correct to say your handicap won't get adjusted during non-counting (winter) conditions for normal scoring. However, any circumstance with exceptional scoring is reviewed and often results in a general play cut. An exceptional score can be in any format counting/non-counting. You could also be cut on observation of your play but this is very rare, the secretary would almost have to see you go eagle, birdie, birdie 😁.

FYI, there are provisions for winter golf to be considered counting for handicap purposes (more info on Golf Ireland site). A lot of clubs don't do this as they only play 12/15 hole comps and have placing everywhere. So their winter golf is considered non-counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

forward tees means nothing when it comes to whether or not round can be counted or not. as long as the tees are rated, they can be counted and all tees should be rated for all courses (afaik)

it is unlikely that Golf Ireland cut you. Non counting scores don't get submitted. Are they on your record?

What I suspect has happened is that your club has cut you on observation. Your first port of call is to query with them. I do believe though that they should have communicated this with you though and not just applied cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Our course does not have handicap counting rounds during the winter months, is that the case in all clubs around the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Yep. Most links courses will still be counting but parklands are generally non-counting during the winter months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..and to add to that, it came up on another thread that once with annual comp season is over you should not be submitting casual rounds via the WHS system either on that course

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

We are still playing qualifiers in Blessington Lakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Advertisement