Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yearly PV Generation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

West Clare, 6.1kw system (2.1kw WSW, 4kw South with significant shading in winter).

4.90MW for 2022.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

South facing 4.83kWp system, Dublin Fingal, 2022 Calendar Year

5.072MWh generated (4.47MWh estimated by PVGIS SARAH2 estimate)

1.035MWh exported (79.6% solar self-consumption)

2.584MWh imported (95.5% night rate)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

8.94 MW generated for 2022.

6kw hybrid South/South West

2.5kw standard inverter South West

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

System installed in March 2022 as 3kW inverter, about 3.5kW of panels. Upgraded in December 2022 to 4.5kW of panels. Some teething problems with voltage.

I'm very annoyed because we generated 1.99MWh! So close....

Reckon we'll exceed 3MWh in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

2022 4.8kW E/W 10kWh battery. Charged battery at night rate in winter. EV and Zappi.

Production: 4192.6 kWh (Last year: 4194.5)

Highest: 31.8 (June), Lowest 0.6 (Dec)

Total Consumption: 8501 kWh

Export: 562.4 kWh (predicted: 1105.1) (Exported 354kWh while away in July)

Import: 4833 kWh (856 Day, 3977 Night) (Day import down from 20240 last year)

Savings @ 33.4c/9.6c : ~945 Euro (assuming 700 units used at night rate/car charging)

The 10kWh battery made the Energia EV plan feasible and I moved to it in September just before the big rate rise. Consumption (and thus import) was lower this year than last year reflecting holidays taken and less wfh. Holidays also meant export was a lot more than expected.

For 2023, I am adding another 10kWh. With 20kWh I should cut day import even further to about 400 units or less.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I can't argue that too badly for the 11.5kW system, making just under 2/3 of my power. Only Feb and March generated more than I used, but there was enough overlap that the currently-under-construction-pool pumps should still be within generation capacity so I'm not wasting any generation. (The primary goal is cost minimization, not power independence or environmental responsibility. Thus any excess production per month is a waste of install dollars)

You'll note the massive bumps of usage in the summer. We had a hot one. The aircon units are twenty years old and highly inefficient, but at over $10,000 apiece to replace, there's no economic sense in replacing them until they truly break. (Which, given they already have had holes in the piping sealed probably will be within the next year or two). The cost of electricity saved doesn't equal the cost to replace.

The power company bumped its prices this year, by about 20%. As I had to net import only one third of my power for the year, to a large extent I was immune to 2/3 of the rate hike. However, the payment plan expenditure for the solar install was still 40% more than the dollars saved on the electricity not purchased from the power company, so this is definitely still a long-term issue. Eventually the company will raise its rates sufficient to close the gap, or in about 28 years (unless I pay off faster) the panels will be paid off and it's free electricity and the money gap starts to close.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

South facing 4.83kWp system, Dublin Fingal, 2023 Calendar Year

4.807MWh Generated (4.47MWh estimated by PVGIS SARAH2 estimate)

652kWh Exported (86.4% solar self-consumption)

3.172MWh Imported (97.3% night rate)

2.613MWh Natural Gas used

Post edited by Jonathan on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

7kwp South/South west & 2.9 kwp west

Generation for 2023 : 8,495 kwh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

For calendar year 2023 (compared with 2022):

Generated: 4.91mWh (5.18MWh)

Self consumed: 3.33/3.26 MWh (3.71/3.60 MWh) [depends on which consumption value you read]

Total consumption: 5.5MWh (5.39 MWh)

Export 1.58 MWh (1.47 MWh)

Import 2.23 MWh (1.79 MWh)

5.5kWp SSE facing in Limerick. 5kWh battery, PHEV, GFCH. 2 ppl working from home.

(I think 2022 is missing a fair chunk of January, so usage is likely the same)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Interesting to compare between both years.

More night rate due to EV?

Also gas use? Is it just me or is that really low? (Average use is 11MWh according to bonkers)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭curioustony

Very different strategies between the two years. Bigger (not large) battery and a good cheap rate meant purchase shifting and water heating in 2023. Self consumption was also kicked to the side in favour of maximizing FIT payments.

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

Increase of night rate percentage is likely due to doubling of battery from 5kWh to 10kWh in Sept 2022.

New EV is slightly more thirsty (no HP), but increase is mainly due to higher mileage over 2022.

Yes, very low gas usage. GFCH. House thermostat set to 19°C, but we tend to only heat downstairs and heat rising keeps bedrooms at around 18°C. Boiler is controlled from HA via a generic thermostat I've set up based on temperature/humidity sensors I have in each of the rooms. Boiler running around 50°C flow temps which ensures it is always in condensing mode. Water is heated via solar thermal/immersion.

House has two people WFH 3-4 days a week. On those days we find it handier not to heat the whole house until the evening and just give herself a fan heater for her office connected to another HA generic thermostat.

Post edited by Jonathan on

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Scoopsire

That's impressively low gas usage have you a super insulated/airtight house or is it mainly HA management that's helping?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭DC999

3.73MWh from a 4.8mWp E/W split

From the highs of 585kWh in June and same in July (with a kWh bizarrely) to lows of 68kWh in Dec. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭DC999

Good on ya for low gas usage! We use about the same of 3000kWh of gas a year. We’ve a similar approach with using electric heating to supplement.

Gas boiler comes on for 3 hours a day (morning, when kids get home from school, close to bedtime). That’s ~10kWh per hour, or 900kWh per month. But that heavier usage is only needed for 3 cold months. The rest of the months are either solely electric rads or electric rads supplementing even more of the gas boiler.

I want to reduce the gas we burn. Plus it’s a 20 year old boiler so will help preserve it’s life (as it’s working much less hard). And we tend to heat the sitting room to a higher temp and rest of rooms much lower, which suits us. I'm fine in a cooler WFH room. A hot water bottle on my legs works perfect.

We've a small house but very leaky heat wise and low BER. I wait until November to turn on the boiler, electric rads are fine until then. Boiler will be off by end Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mr Q

6,615kWh for me. 8kWp total in 2023, 4 East and 4 West at about 15 degrees.

Total consumption of 9,679kWh. All electric house and an EV. The EV used 4,780kWh.

4,390kWh consumed from the PV, 2,225kWh sent to grid. 5,289kWh purchased, almost all night rate.

Best month was May with 1,083kWh. Worst was December with 92kWh.

Post edited by Mr Q on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

About 6 months into this Solar PV journey, so here's my 2023 half-year stats.

System Details:

• Panels: 2.1 kW
    • Orientation: South
    • Battery: 6 kWh

Stats:

• Generated: 649 kWh
    • Exported: 225 kWh
    • Imported from Grid: 373 kWh

Best Month: September (159 kWh)

Worst Month: no surprise ... December (46 kWh)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

still delighted with the perf of the system

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭johndoe11

6001kwh produced for me from 8.8kwp east/west. Slight more west facing than east by about 20 degrees. Was installed in early February 2023.

Total consumption: 9,635kwh

Solar: 6,001kwh

Import: 6,223kwh

Export: 2,605kwh

Heat pump usage: 4,902kwh

Expect export to much less in 2024 as now have 15kw battery. Main aim is to reduce the heat pump which I only recently started playing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

South Roscommon, 8.16Kwp, facing 210° at 35°, 9.6kWh battery

A poorer year than '22 and down about 600kWh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

2,583kWh from our 2.5kwp array in Dublin 12, worst year (3rd full year) since install.

Have only paid 720e for the panels to-date so definitely quids in (smart meter only installed in December).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

That was with the solar as a service company wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Yes, gone in before the significant price increases - 2,400e over ten years @ 19.99 per month for 2.5kW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

6.2Kwp Monaghan

Less produced this year than last

July and Aug worse than May and June!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭fuse

South Dublin - 5.67kWp

6 panels East - 8 panels west

5kWh Battery

I'm not sure why in the latter months my battery Charging (green) is higher than the actual solar input... and then the discharge figure is higher again!

There's an Eddi in the mix there somewhere so possibly causing the confusion. October and Nov imports were high because I was playing around with Eddi config and messed up a bit.

No. Regular semi-detached built in 1999.

Since purchasing it we've;

• topped up the attic insulation to 300mm
    • reslabbed the external walls/ceiling in the kitchen/living room with insulated PIR board during a renovation
    • upgraded all the windows to low-e double/triple glazing and got a new composite front door

BER is now A3. Without the PV, the BER would probably be a B2.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Scoopsire

Thanks Jonathan. In a slightly older semi myself but needs work so really useful info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

2,606 kwh from a 2.5kwp system facing south located in Galway.

Array was installed in mid May 2021, system has produced 7.25 MW to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

I have a 7.4KW evenly split east west ,

total for 2023

Yeild 5226.9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭allinthehead

3.62kwh from my diy setup. 3.2 kwp SE, .8 NW, .8 W vertical.

3.73 kwh from the grid mostly night rate, including Ev.

700 kwh ish returned.

Total bill for the year was €240. Currently €560 in credit due to government credits.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

Advertisement