Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Irish farces of the 21st Century

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They've given soft-soap "interviews" to all sorts of religious cranks, crazies and charlatans on TLLS over the years, but when Dawkins was on in the Pat Plank era the audience were practically hissing at him, you'd wonder where they get these people

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You don't hear it mentioned anymore because, eventually, they worked. They're in use to do payroll and HR weekly now without any major hitches.

The HSE had to bring in a single system to replace tens of individual systems, they just got an awful implementer.

The systems were renamed also, think its just called "HSE SAP Payroll" or similar, but it is the PPARS project.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

good to hear, I had a cousin who was working on it at the time, and I remember him being totally flabbergasted, as the bulk of the work was almost complete when the whole noise started.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

tubridy went hard on him too as he did with terry pratchett

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yeah I had the misfortune to see that too. Tubbers is a right little bollox, sanctimonious creeping Jesus type and I expected nothing less from him. In the Plank era though it was the studio audience hostility which was something else, and they had all sorts of nasty text messages scrolling along the screen the whole time too (sinister, that, as it gave the guest no right to reply at all). Made us look like a nation of knuckle-dragging morons, but it was TLLS I suppose 😛

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Closing our own peat bogs in Offaly and such places only to end up importing the stuff from Latvia, about 5,000 miles away if I remember right.

Complete idiocy.

A flight to Los Angeles from Dublin is about 5000 miles so you're quite a bit off there

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The time Dawkins was on with Kenny the audience was full of Iona types, though I'm not sure if they were officially a thing then (2006) there were definitely a good few of them there. That long haired, long winded gobshite who Pat had to interrupt to tell him to get to the point is the husband of Breda O Brien who was one of those who later RTE paid put over the Panti Bliss thing.

• Advertisement

RTE paying out licence payers' money to that disreputable bunch - now THAT was a farce!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭McGarnigle2020

A country in a housing crisis suddenly finding some spare houses down the sofa for 4000 Syrian refugees and that not being any sort of national political scandal. Or the time we found a 700K 1 bed flat in Rathgar for a Kurdish lad who arrived 2 years prior, via Canada no less.

A country losing its mind and going 40 billion into debt in a ham fisted attempt to fight a virus that, as per HSPC.ie and Newstalk, killed a little over 500 people who had a realistic chance of living a longer few years (11% of all Covid deaths have occurred in an ICU, the remainder typically occurring among people already so desperately ill a transfer to ICU was too late in the day already)

Briefly legalising yokes. Not only funny, but the loophole was closed in a day with a late night Dail and Seanad session, yet any loopholes around housing etc take months to push through.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭McGarnigle2020

I've only ever heard suggestions we should do something because they do it in Scandinavia or Germany. Rent, health, childcare, transport. Never hear anyone say "in Italy the bin collection...." "in Poland the roads...."

The UK have plenty of sensible things we could adopt but it seems to be uncool to suggest following them, particularly with Boris in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Double checked, turns out it was just over 3,000kms. A bit off indeed.

Advertisement