Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have truck driver wages increased in Ireland similar to UK

• 12-11-2021 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Any views on truck driver wages and if they have increased in Ireland similar to UK ?

would an hourly rate of €18 (before tax) be realistic for day work for example?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Depending on the truck and type of work, artic men make more than rigid but not always, adr drivers are making good money, you're probably talking 600 up to 1200 take home depending on the hours and type of work

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The UK is a third country with a totally different labour market and economic outlook, so why would it be a good comparison??? EU drivers can take up a driving position in Ireland within days and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GoOnTaigh

good comparison as we share a land border to start and are free to work there

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

But you are asking about Irish wages and EU drivers not British drivers have a right to work here. Irish GDP per capita is 40% higher that the UK and Ireland has been a net exporter for 40 forty years while the UK has been a net importer over the same period. You have different currency and different economic drivers, a different central bank and the list just goes on.... But if you are happy to compare yourself to an economy with a 40% lower GDP per capita and cost of living 13.97% lower cost of living, that is your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,095 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Wages were pushed down on across the EU in driving after the Eastern European countries joined, firms, especially Hungarian ones spread out rapidly, never mind individual drivers.

That is gone for Britain so workers wages are rising, doesn't apply here.

Given the price of diesel lorry firms here are under serious pressure and the transport crisis is going to appear here next year.

• Advertisement

Read my question again, I asked about Irish wages and have they increased like they have in the uk. £20 p/h plus in UK and with a higher exchange rate to euro that looks attractive. The only GDP I’m concerned with is my take home pay. Let’s not pretend access to the UK market for Irish drivers is similar to mainland Europe, it’s simply not. Let’s not politicise my question. Thanks

Agreed, cost of living for all is rising in Ireland, inflation, fuel, food, energy prices. How is the truck driver going to pay? Answer, the lorry firms in Ireland, the suppliers and untimely Joe public like the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,095 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There is going to have to be steep increases in haulage rates to cover the current fuel increases.

Society is going to get some hop

100% - and to cover the increase rates for drivers

Advertisement