Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PV sizing and real world planning experience

• 12-11-2021 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

(I know there is a planning section, but this feels like the better place to put it with the most experience)

Looking at PV panels on the house, and I'm guessing, like most people, any reasonable sized system that would have any returns would break the 12m2|50% rule. Given what I was reading about legislation going through at the moment(apart from installations around airports), what are your real world experiences with planning? Has anyone applied for it, been rejected, anyone been contacted by their local authority?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

No one, and I mean NO ONE, adheres to that 12m2 rule. It's an outdated provision from 2012 or thereabouts. installers do look at the "distances from edges/roof apex" , but in general they will attempt to get as many panels on your roof that you ask for - within reason. Installers do have to take photos and if they are right close to the edges, they could be denied the BER grant from SEAI, so they do tend to not take the piss.

As for planning permission, there is none. It's all down to the BER grant as I said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

I have a large roof. I contacted the local County Council and they laughed about the whole requirements in my case. The guy said it was a joke but told me I should put in for planning. He did also say they fully expect it to change, that was 2 years ago now but I dont think they have chnaged.

I ended up putting up 19 panels but as I was maybe at 20% coverage of the roof so I didn't put in any planning. The panels are on the back roof as well so can't be seen from the road. If it was at the front and changed the appearance of the house compared to the rest of the houses I would of, but as hidden I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Or just cover it fully and say yeah but woman in Limerick case...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,247 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

As someone said, people shouldn't be held to a completely outdated rule

If you plan to sell in the next few years you might have a problem, but you can probably apply for retention then anyway.

Advertisement