Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye Surgery Cork - Your/Friends/Family experience

Options
  • 11-11-2021 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Finding it really hard to get reviews about Optilase and Optical express.

What they offer, pricing etc.

Has anyone here had their vision corrected in Cork?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Yes I got LASIK in Optilase in 2019. Both Optilase and Optical Express offer free consultations. You should really go to both and make a decision afterwards. I actually rathered Optical Express after the consultation as Optilase were a bit pushy but they worked out a few hundred cheaper.

I have no complaints about the surgery. Pre and post op care was excellent. Mine came out at 3490€ but got 200€ off as I took a cancellation. They have a refer a friend policy if you do decide to go with them. If I refer you I get 100€ and you get 100€ off your surgery. Let me know if you'd be interested in that or if you have any other questions. They offer different payment plans and the cost depends on your prescription.

Definitely go for the consultation anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bhail

Thanks for replying!

I've booked in for a consultation with Optilase in a few weeks time. Did you go to Mahon?

Optical express said nothing is available. Call back in a few weeks too.

Did optilase try and sell a more expensive type of surgery or did they tell you that you are suitable for LASIK from the off?

How did the day and the day after go regards transport recovery etc.

If I do go with them will happily do the reference thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Optical express is in Mahon and Optilase is in Opera Lane so just double check which one you've booked! I went to both.

No LASIK is their first port of call as the recovery time is shorter so if you're suitable for LASIK you'll get LASIK. If your cornea is too thin or you play a lot of contact sport they may recommend LASEK instead. I don't think there is much difference in the price. i just found them pushy in that they rang me a few times after the consultation.

The day itself was fine. I was in for 1 - 2 hours before the surgery retesting my eyes, making sure nothing had changed etc. Was in the operating room for 10 mins and the whole procedure took 4/5 minutes maybe. Super quick! You'll definitely need to be walked/driven home. I couldn't keep my eyes open after surgery. Eyes felt gritty for a few days and the eye drop routine is a bit intense but I can't say I had any real pain. Just tiredness and light sensitivity. I could see perfectly within a few hours which was crazy.

Best of luck with the consultation!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Went with Optilase prob about 7 or 8 years ago. Was the best thing I ever did. Huge difference for sports and lifestyle.

Was definitely more expensive than the advertised hook. Starting at 499 or some such shite. Can't remember but it was def 1500 or more. Got just one eye done. I went to get two but they said as I wasn't that bad, -1.75 in both, if I got one done it would do distance and the uncorrected one would do reading so best of both worlds and no glasses needed. They were right and I've never thought about getting the second one done. Operation was amazing to watch. Over in minutes and as I got a lift home I was able to see things I had never seen without glasses in 20 years. Couldn't recommend it enough.

Thanks for all the details.

Sorry I messed up my questions.

Google maps says there are two optical express locations in Cork, model farm Road and Mahon. I wanted to see what Mahon was like, as that was the one I would probably choose.

• Advertisement

Thanks for answering. 7/8 years is obviously a long time for proper feedback.

Having that sharp vision, I hear it feels/is sharper that what you see with glasses.

Glad you said about sport. I play different sports, nothing serious though, so good after propee recovery there was no concern there.

Do you remember how long from consultation to surgery you waited?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Not sure on the wait. Think once I decided they gave me an appointment within a few weeks.

Think they recommended 6 or 7 weeks off my sport as I was at greater risk of infections but for most sports it was 4. I chose it for off season anyway.

Sharpness was/is great I ended up with better that 20/20 and looking out the window now can clearly see cars a mile away.

Advertisement