Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC - 200fps+

Options
  • 11-11-2021 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

Forgive me but I don't know too much about this stuff and it's a Christmas present for an 11 year old. I'm hoping, mainly due to the cost, that this will last a good few years and can be used outside of gaming for school work/projects/programming/vide editing etc. All I've been told really is they need something that will run games at, I think 200fps? Been loking around and came across below on Amazon - Is this any good/reliable company/upgradeable in the future?

ADMI Gaming PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2GHz, RTX 3060 12GB, 16GB 3000MHz, 240GB SSD, 1TB Hard Drive, 600Mbps Wifi, Windows 10.

I presume the Windows 10 can be updated automatically to Windows 11 for free as he did ask for Windows 11 but I didn't find anything with it pre-loaded. Thanks for your help on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I've been out of the pc gaming market for years but I keep hearing about this crazy high fps requirements. I mean isn't 60fps about the highest a reasonable monitor can display anyway?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Everyone looks for 120/144Hz plus screens these days. 60MHz is only the bargain basement option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

But does it actually make a difference. The human eye can only detect up to 60fps as well. Seems paying over the odds for something that makes negligible distance to the average gamer

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I, for one at least, can see the difference. A high refresh rate monitor would also normally have adaptive refresh rate as well, which helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

Where did you get that info from? Someone with normal vision can detect at least 200 fps but probably more.

The USAF, in testing their pilots for visual response time, used a simple test to see if the pilots could distinguish small changes in light. In their experiment a picture of an aircraft was flashed on a screen in a dark room at 1/220th of a second. Pilots were consistently able to "see" the afterimage as well as identify the aircraft. This simple and specific situation not only proves the ability to percieve 1 image within 1/220 of a second, but the ability to interpret higher FPS.

http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html

A better argument woud be how much FPS is actually benifical in games.

I've tested it with 4 monitors and it is easy to tell between 60hz,144hz and 240hz just be moving the cursor 360hz was very difficult to tell apart from the 240hz monitor though.

240hz is probably as much as is needed for a competetive advantage. And honestly 144hz is enough for it to look great visually. After using a 144hz+ monitor for 5 years I'd have no problem going from my current 240hz back to 144hz but going to 60hz would only be accecptable in very slow paced games.

Another thing to note is beware of monitors that have high refresh rates but do not have the pixel response time to back it up. Check reviews before buying.

• Advertisement

Which games? There are many games that won't achieve that frame rate no matter how much money you spend on a PC.

However esports games(valortant for example) would run at 200fps on something even lower spec than what you have linked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭davegilly

COD Warzone?

With the system linked 120 fps at 1080p or 1440p would be possible. You're not going to get 200+ without spending way more, very few people play that game at such high frame rates. 120 fps would put him at a higher frame rate than the majoritoy of people playing.

What monitor would he be using with the system? I'd recommend 1080p 144hz or 1440p 144hz. Any frames over 144 would be a waste and not be displayed. Only someone playing at the very highest level of competion would benefit from more frames.

Here's some video of what you can expect in various games with a Ryzen 5 3600 and RTX 3060

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYnwKCdhf_8

Advertisement