Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone interpret this pingplotter result

Options
  • 09-11-2021 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭

Problem: I am getting intermittent packet loss with virgin every few minutes. It happens on all devices, regardless of how they are connected to the router.

Screenshot, the screenshot on the left shows pingplotter pinging a server (call of duty) when everything is fine. The screenshot on the right shows Pingplotter when the packet loss happens.

My thoughts: I don't really get why pingplotter is showing 100% packet loss from the router even when everything is fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

your uploaded img is blurr due to size, IP's unreadable. repost

What is second IP from top? What is you home network layout? double NAT?

100%PL might indicate there is just no responce from hop due to security settings (ICMP disabled)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I have no idea why that picture uploaded in such low quality. Here is a higher quality one. https://ibb.co/V3FdPV0

The second IP is 109.255.160.1 - I don't think I use doublenat, but I use powerline adapters by Devolo that are also hotspots on a mesh system. Importantly my girlfriend reports the same packet loss on her mac, and she is on wifi direct to the virgin router.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I have no idea why that picture....

32 ultra-wide ????, Canadians scaled down i'd say :D

As soon you say "powerline adapters" in combination with "network issues" i say - kill them and do you testing again over Ethernet directly to router

34 inch ultra!

As I said. We get the same packet loss on the system when using WiFi. So I don't think it's them.

I also used the same system in the old apartment. But I'll see what I can do about testing it direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Work laptop? I would assume its blocking responses from the local 192 addressing showing the first 2 hops as failed. You would need to fix that to get a handle on where the 40% loss is coming from(modem/virgins network).

• Advertisement

Right just in case anyone else is looking. The issue ended up being the Hub3, not my specific Hub3 because Virgin replaced it, just the Hub3 in general.

There was irregular intermittent packet loss, as often as 10 times per hour, but usually more like 3-4 times per hour. It was enough to interrupt a video call, or ruin online gaming. Virgin were pretty useless about fixing it.

Eventually, I ran a pingplotter target to the actual router itself - I should have done this sooner. Once I realised I was getting Packet Loss even from the router I knew the problem was inside the house. Either something electrical in the apartment is interfering with the Hub3 or the Hub3 was somehow getting overloaded by two people and 10 devices! In any case I ordered a new router, put the Hub3 in Modem mode and as of today for the first time I have no packet loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I'd say it's probably related to the Intel Puma 6 hardware bugs since the Hub3 is a Puma 6 unit.

Advertisement