Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools charging "non-refundable, administration charge" when offering places to 1st years

Options
  • 09-11-2021 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

My school has been offering places to new 1st years over the last few weeks. We have a 'points' system and not everyone who applies gets a place. The email that goes to parents says that in order to accept the offer of a place a "non-refundable, administration charge" of xxEuro should be included with the acceptance form.

Yesterday and today we have had a lot of parents querying this and asking specifically if the offer of a place for their child is conditional on paying the xxEuro.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this? Also curious as to why this is being questioned yesterday and again today (I must have missed a newspaper report or something over the weekend).

And before anyone says it, I am aware of the 2018 Admissions Act

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

That's soooooo a noooooo

Will I need to pay a fee as part of admissions?

Some schools have been doing this in recent years, but it will now be banned. The new legislation prohibits the charging of fees for an application for admission to a school, or for continued enrolment.

(Exceptions are included in relation to fee-charging secondary schools, the boarding element in boarding schools and admission to post leaving or further education courses run by secondary schools.)

In addition, no charge may be made for instruction in any subject of the school curriculum or for recreation or other activities where all pupils are expected to take part.

Voluntary contributions may be sought from parents, but only on the basis that a child’s place in a school is not dependent on making a contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

I thought this was still common enough.

Any other schools doing this and what is the reaction from parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

I would talk to your principal about that. Parents (or prospective parents) should not have access to teachers in the school to query issues like this. It is a health and safety risk at the best of times, never mind with covid.

What happens if you are a teacher who is an acquaintance of parents, or teachers who are parents of kids in the school. There's no harm in them asking you if you are talking to them. Friends have asked me questions about procedure before and I'm happy to give my opinion (usually a rant).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

‘Yesterday and today we have had a lot of parents querying this and asking specifically if the offer of a place for their child is conditional on paying the xxEuro.’

I assumed from the ‘we’ above that it was in the school rather than socially.

• Advertisement

Ya I suppose it could be .

Either way, it's a bit shnakey .

Although in our kids primary they asked for contribution at start of year which pays for copybooks and pencils and other stuff, we could say no if we want but it takes the hassle off me from having to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Shnakey isnt the word ,shower of @@@@s

Advertisement