Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IVF baby mix-up - yikes..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Hallmark Movie to be released in 12 months starring Katherine Heigl...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I think the outcome is as good as it gets under the circumstances. The babies are too young to notice the swap, the couples will try stay in touch, great story to tell when they are all older. Imagine if they hadn't found out until the kids were 3 or 4 or even older!

There will probably be a nice financial sweetener in it as well (US sue culture)

the mother used to say they gave her the wrong baby in the hospital...

.. maybe she was right

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a hard one. I joked about it when one of our kids was about 6 months old that maybe they had swapped it in the hospital, and my wife dead seriously said, " I wouldn't care, I'm not swapping back". The maternal bond surpasses all notions of genetics.

I'm guessing in this case perhaps "they noticed the baby girl had jet-black hair and a much darker complexion than anyone in their family." basically means the child was clearly mixed-raced or black. The couple themselves have dark hair, so black hair shouldn't set off alarm bells unless it's very typical African or Asian jet-black.

So if she felt from day one that it wasn't her child, then she probably struggled to bond well with it, making it somewhat easier to swap back when the time came.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Babies all look the same anyway. Horse on ta fcuk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

It's true, but you're not supposed to say it out loud! 😂

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,792 ✭✭✭sporina

i've a brother who is an absolute nightmare... sooo different from my other 3 bros... I only said at the weekend "its hard to believe that him and "John (oldest Bro - f{false name}) have the same genes"..

maybe Mum actually was given the wrong baby..

never really thought about it till now.. 🤔

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Apart from the obvious there is something very weird about that - two separate labs mixed up the embryos where the only connection was one doctor. Why were they moving embryos around at all?? Or, if I am reading between the lines correctly, why was this doctor moving embryos around from one clinic to another? Very shady.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

i wonder were the two babies the same age, or how long would embryos be stored before they are used?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

That is a great question, I hadn't even thought of that angle. If more than one enbryo result from an IVF cycle some of them are frozen for future use so you are correct that they might not have been similar ages. OMG imagine finding out the newborn baby you had wasn't yours and your own child was much older (for example) 😮

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And with IVF success rates, there was no guarantee that both women would actually have a successful pregnancy to begin with. Could have been one child and nothing to swap with.

major sympathy for all involved anyway.. it would mess my head up if it wer me.

I've a six month old baby girl born from IVF. I can not even fathom how traumatic finding out the baby wasn't yours would be.

Horrible story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

It could be worse, they could mixed-up the sperm. Instead of trading babies, the women would have to trade husbands.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There might be another possible reason for that conundrum .............😛

lol doubt that..

nah - i think he's just a bad egg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I think I heard on the news that they were born a week apart, so they were lucky that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

My granny handed over a 1 day old uncle of mine with red hair to be bathed and they handed her back a new uncle with black hair.

They then had to go swap all the babies around until she at least had one with red hair. There were multiple red heads, so we will never know. It bothers him since he found out. My mum suggested he get a DNA test, but he wont because he thinks its better not knowing than finding out he was swapped at birth :)

Id say he is a changling :) Hes totally different to the rest of them.

Obviously a fake story. After being faced with the ignominy of a having to rear a ginger child she was given a swap with a normal child and you expect us to believe she didn't immediately take her chance and leg it before they realised their mistake?

Not plausible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

:)

All my uncles, aunts and cousins are red heads. All of us have suffered the curse. Hes more carrot head than red head though :) Definitely an outlier.

• Advertisement

also ginger baby getting a bath? none of this adds up

Well "bath" could have been code for a bucket around the snout of the local water pump:

'Sure, isn't it better for them now?' Dan said.

Like wet gloves they bobbed and shone till he sluiced

Them out on the dunghill

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Feels like something out of an American sitcom where it's revealed that a whacky friend of one of the parents caused an accident and switched the embryos messing everything up. The audience of course would have been in on the mess up, but it's not revealed to the parents until the season finale that the babies were switched, thus show season ends on a cliffhanger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Would be interesting to know how long both sets of parents held on to their changelings until they swapped them back.

So nice to have another sob story in the news, just heart breaking.

Maybe the news should just consist of journalists chatting to people to whom nothing unusual happened that day 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Tragic story but hearing her saying one of the reasons she was suing was because of other people's trauma. They I remembered it was America🙄

This is about two sets of parents and their “artificial” offspring. How much more irrelevant and mundane does it get?

Oh you probably have some thrilling anecdotes to make this about yourself.

Do you not understand the concept of how news works? It's an unusual story. No need to get so triggered by it if you don't find it interesting yourself

I actually can’t be bothered with your desperate attempts to elicit attention. Good luck though.

• Advertisement

I find the story newsworthy. I would propose that someone commenting on a story which they have no interest in would be more indicative of someone trying to "elicit attention"

Advertisement