Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is quite cheap for a pint

Options
  • 09-11-2021 6:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭

So according to this site Ireland is basically the same price for a pint as most of the world

Would like to know where they were drinking said pints or is it just makey uppey stuff, they obviously never visited Temple Bar or pretty much any bar methinks. Next week I will be enjoying 3 euro pints in Spain, 2 euro ones if I go to some back lane bars wondering why it's so expensive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Blah blah how do i subscribe to my own thread, oh you have to make another comment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

For the amount I drink, price of a pint here doesn't matter to me. People cribbing about some places being 50 or 70c more expensive than elsewhere amounts to a fiver difference over a night, so what.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Site seems very suspect to me. Average price of a pint in Spain is the same as Ireland? Absolutely not true.

It reads to me like they chose the price of a specific branded pint or something, rather than the actual average price of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yeah, I don't know about their data, but pints in Ireland are absolutely not more expensive than comparable countries.

Like, yeah you can go to Estonia and get a pint for 2 euro, but then they earn a fraction of what we do too. Go to the USA or Australia and you'll be paying a lot more.

Beer is a luxury item. Its price is linked to the amount of disposable income people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Ireland is cheaper than many other countries, but it's the calculation you have to understand.

If you a tourist and you are Irish drinking in Spain, Spain will be cheaper, but in terms of your earnings, you will spend less time earning the price of a pint here than in Spain.

Look up the Economists Big Mac index for the methodology of this.

Here, you may need to work for 15 minutes at average industrial wage after tax to earn enough for average pint.

In Spain it may be 20 minutes.

• Advertisement

While prices have jumped in the U.S. over the past ten years, it depends where you go. And the promotions are insane... can still get a can of Tecate for a dollar on promotional nights. Which is a rip off compared to parts of Mexico where you can get three cans of Tecate for a dollar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

What is the price in Ireland at the moment? Havent been back in 2 years.

In England everything shot up in prices. Pints are £5.00 pretty much across the board which is about €5.70-85. Unfortunately I am living in a very "well to do" area (doesnt mean I am). In 2010, there was a pub in another town selling pints at £1.40.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Comparing Temple Bar to an average price pint in Spain isn't a valid comparison.

You will easily spend €5 on a small-ish glass in touristy areas of Barcelona and Madrid. Equaling or beating Temple Bar in direct comparison. Your €3 pint, if in a city centre, is in the equivalent of going to either Wetherspoons (mass market chod) or The Snug (risking your life) which are a hell of a lot closer to €3.

And then there's the adjustment for average income.

Our drinking out prices are pretty average, adjusted for income. Our off-sales prices are obscenely high, particularly for wine and sparking wine - and its not entirely down to tax either.

There are of course places where its a lot cheaper across the board even adjusted for spending power, e.g. Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Pints in West of Ireland - Guinness 4.30 / 4.40 Lager 4.50

Post edited by 6541 on

I remember in 1989 two pubs in my village. £1.39 for Guinness in one pub and £1.40 in the other.

I only remember it as my father would comment that he always got back a penny in one pub as the other was his more usual local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You'd find it difficult to get a pint for under a fiver in Barcelona. €6.50-€7 is the norm in the central area. Madrid is better at about €4-€5. Marbella is expensive too in any of the main district with €6-€8 fairly normal

Go outside the tourist areas into more rural spain and you'll get a pint for €2.50-€3.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just returned from Normandy.

Pint varied from €8-10

Coffee was €4-5 Normal meal in average restaurant was €20-25

Also used to leave in Holland and 20 years ago it was cheaper than ireland for almost everything but I find its gone dearer now

Makes me think that Ireland is not too bad and comparisons to Spain do not mean everywhere.

I was in Berlin a few weeks ago and very reasonable. Although Berlin was noted as being the cheapest EU capital at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

How much bigger is the larger?

I remember around mid the 90's a pint of Smithwicks was around 1.80 punts in the North West, my job at the time paid around 4.35 per hour. From memory it seemed that it was early 2000's that prices went up, probably a combination of minimum wage, more money/credit around, increased costs and people willing to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,032 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Prague last week I was paying 1-2 euro...would recommend!

Oslo on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I pay 4.80 for a pint of plain in my Dublin GAA club. It pays for the clubhouse staff and whatever's left goes back into the club. Its a pretty fair price.

I've been charged anywhere between €10 and 25 for a half litre of beer in places like Abu Dhabi, Singapore, Copenhagen. If you let yourself be rode for pub prices in Ireland (6 or 7 quid), its your own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I was in Prague in early 2000's; going by the universal price of a pint index it was around a euro (good meals were also cheap). I'm surprised it hasn't gone up more.

I heard Norway was brutal, alright. How do they get through those awful winters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

My Dad had a pal who swore he'd stop drinking Guinness if it went over 2/6, maybe 20c without adjusting for inflation.

Now six or seven Euro, with a fiver only in the rarest of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Site is clearly garbage.

Interactive map at the top shows both Ireland and the UK as "between 3.46 and 4.84". Finland is the same.

Yet the bar chart halfway down shows Ireland as 5.5 and the UK as 6.2. And Finland as 6.20, for some reason keeping the trailing zero there.

Site seems to be a Canadian version of bonkers. If they can't even keep their figures consistent on the same page good luck to anyone relying on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Minimum wage has doubled since coming in 20 years ago so it makes sense that pints have doubled in price too in that 20 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Been to Prague many a time - very cheap, first time there many years ago it was hard to spend money it was that cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 24,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Parts of Spain are the same especially for wine where you can pay €1.50 a glass and not crap wine or in a dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,032 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's still really reasonable tbh! Some very fun spots

Then again what is the minimum wage in the Czech republic? I think it's about 3.50 when converted to euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

60 cent for a pint in Czech Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Where rare? The pub on the Liffey close to O Connwl Bridge?

Advertisement