Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know the politicians and the Government are delusional and so out of touch when

Options
  • 04-11-2021 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

They think there will be a million electric cars on the roads whitin the next 9 years lol. Not a hope as much as I would love the see far less dinosaur cars on outer roads and more electric cars it's just not realistic or feasible. A far more sensible target would have been 100000 or 200000 then if it match that or exceeds it they can say they succeeded unlike in 2030 when we get there and there are not even 500999 electric cars on the roads. They will have failed to meet there targets set. Big mistake.

So what does everyone else think of this and what give aways tell you that these politicians are living in a fairy land of there own?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Remember all the promises made 9 years ago? Me neither

They ban cutting turf,prefering to import it by boatload to be moved by truck to same bogs and tipped onto existing turf and used here instead

What am i missing here??

Their proposals for rural bus services are so underwhelming:

I just see this as an admission that Rural bus services are simply not viable in any meaningful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Politicians promise stuff all the time that are outlandish to make them look good but this particular promise is about the funniest thing i've ever heard from any government. I'll be shocked if they even reach 250,000 electric cars by that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A Tullamore to Tullamore bus lol. What does it do drive from one end of Tullamore to the other lol? 10 min trip lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Fingerboard to Condron Concrete would be 5.4km...but I think that text in report is a typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

When they think a second hand scheme for electric cars is the solution to an emissions crisis...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

VW reckon 40% of production will be EV by 2028 I think it was, you'd imagine the general market will broadly follow that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,057 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Mininum unit pricing for alochol. Not so much the idea, but the pretence that it was being done for health reasons and nothing to do with profiteering publicans.

Of course it was...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They make these outlandish promises now so that they’ll get votes now.

when they can’t and don’t deliver they’ll blame all the other parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Inspecting Irish trawlers unloading fish caught in Irish waters when they pull in to port but not doing this to any foreign vessels at any Irish port. Foreign trucks load the fish and away they go back to base with zero inspection with zero economic benefit to Ireland.

Not allowing a LNG terminal to be built so that the country would have both a storage facility for gas and additionally the ability to access the gas market without going to Russia every time.

Banning nuclear power generation in the country yet accepting the very same power from UK and France.

Rural broadband scheme, by the time it's complete the speeds promised will be obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Really quite ludicrous to think there will be a million EV cars on the road

Charging stations are few and far between. The majority of people have on street parking so no chance of a home charging port

Is this a Green Party idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

They expect people to borrow and pay interest to fund all this retrofitting and EVs. They want average citizens to become indebted to meet their fantasy plans of 1m EVs on the road and 500k retrofits by 2030. Insane stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'd give a million EV,s a much better chance than a reduced national herd, neither FF or FG will seriously confront farmer's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Unless they count electric bikes and scooters, there's not a hope of anything close to 1m EVs, it's pie in the sky nonsense. It would require pretty much every new car sold in Ireland to be an EV for the rest of the decade.

I have no issue with a target of EV's outselling ICE cars in a few years time but manufacturers are nowhere near ready for that yet, never mind 100% EV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

its doable, but the state would have to step up to it, but under modern political and economic ideologies, its more than likely not doable, so......

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's only a delusion if they actually intended for it to happen to begin with. Same as any other climate target they spout this week, it wont be met, they know it wont be met, they wont even try to meet it and they won't care when they dont meet it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Voting themselves pay rises while people sleep on the streets.

Proposing wolf reintroduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The deep retrofit stuff is a huge mis-step imo. You're talking €35,000 to €75,000 to do this work... subsidising this via grants is just handing taxpayers money to the already wealthy and with payback times that make no financial sense in most cases. It's great that we've increased the standards for new builds but if they want to encourage more to upgrade existing insulation and heating systems it would be far more beneficial to remove the VAT (or even apply a negative VAT rate) to the building materials rather than running expensive and bureaucratic rebate schemes whereby the grants just get absorbed into tradesmen's profits.

As a simple example: paying someone to insulate your attic costs anywhere from 1 - 2k depending on the square footage with a grant of €400 available. That €400 would pretty much cover the cost of the rockwool to insulate most standard 3/4 bed houses and there are no doubt thousands of homes in Ireland where the homeowner would happily do the job themselves (or persuade a handy friend or family member to do it for them) if the material costs were effectively covered for them but simply don't have the spare grand or two to pay someone to do it for them (and it's not like the trades are short of work atm!).

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Meirleach

Man that whole wolf reintroduction idea is a mess. I do think we need some larger predators especially to keep the deer population in check.

But surely you'd start with Lynx, deer are one of their preferred prey and they hate people and open ground making it way less likely that Lynx would damage livestock or people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Leo reckons anyone on €50k shouldnt be paying tax at the high rate.

How long has he had the power to implement this? And yet he hasnt. Spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Have Lynx ever been in Ireland before do? What about Fox's would they mot hunt dear?

How many Wolf's are in Ireland now?Is it just a few in the Zoos I suppose and maybe in the park in Cork or wherever it is.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It's easy to know that crusty gobshite of an Eamon Ryan has never had to commute beyond the city centre, has never worked a day of his life in a farm or had to travel to Dublin from rural areas for hospital appointments.

He is eating kale and asparagus in cloud cuckoo land.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

get rid of VRT tax and many will happily buy an EV

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

When the Leftie politicians think we're all going to lose our minds, hoist the red flag and vote for them to march us into the equal squalor for all that East Europe revolted against 30 years ago.

"Trots. Ignoring mass murder by their heroes for 100 years."

How much does VRT bring in annually? If they got rid of it they'll just gouge it out of you somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We no longer have vast expanses of wilderness.

COP26, an excuse for a piss up. How many trips a year by plane or private helicopter, other transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Allinall

How much are each of them drinking, do you know?

• Advertisement

I did my attic during the summer and the rolls of insulation cost about €450 but I couldn't claim the SEAI grant because I didn't get some contractor in who would've charged me 3 times the price for the same job. It's all a scam.

Advertisement