If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Selling Land / Entitlemants query

  • 01-11-2021 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭ monseiur

    Hi all,

    Just looking for some advise for my OH uncle. His fram is 99% low level bog, marsh etc. in the Ballycroy/Achill area, his farm is in two seperate plots.

    He is considering selling one plot about 350 acres of his 750 acres (due to health reasons) He has 190 very low value entitlements, at the moment (he has sheep only) He does not qualify for the ANC grants but gets some payment based on the 170 units. Basically his question is can he sell the 350 acres and still hold on to all of his 170 units or do they go with the land.



  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭ monseiur

    Apologies, I made a bit of a dogs dinner of my query, obviously I know very little about the subject, hopefully someone on here will know .

    Basically what I was trying to ask is if he sells some of his land - say 40% of his total farm, will 40% of his 170 entitlements have to go with the land he sells.

    He was advised by his niece to contact the dept. of Agriculture but he's reluctant in case he open's a can of worms - inspections etc. Due to his health his fencing etc. has been neglected over the last two years and some need upgrading/replacing.

    The plot he hopes to sell has not been grazed since 2019


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭ emaherx

    750 acres is 303 hectares, he needs 1 hectare per entitlement.

    350 acres is 141 hectares, so 303 - 141 is 162 acres remaining, which is not enough land for 190 entitlements.

    However he can either sell the surplus entitlements or lease them annually. (Leasing them annually might not be an option in the near future though)

    The above assumes that all of the remaining land is eligible land. If he doesn't want to talk to the department an Agri advisor would be worth while.

  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭ green daries

    Yes a teagac advisor will be quite good in this instance as they will either have the answer or have the ability and back up to answer your questions and any different scenarios that comes up .also a good straight acutioneer will know what the best way to reach top value of the land for sale

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ alps

    He needs a good advisor.

    This is a VERY valuable piece of ground.

    His 190 entitlements will be heading in the direction of returning 50k per year.

    Environmental schemes, rewetting, abandonment, carbon sales are all about to become a huge income stream on a plot like this.

    He also needs advise on the fair deal scheme urgently.