Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elon Musk on aliens and AI?!

Options
  • 31-10-2021 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

The guy is trying to imply that there's aliens out there and that they might be watching us and all that. He doesn't directly say that we should be afraid of them and that there's going to arrive on Earth soon, but that's what he's implying.

He's also trying to imply that artificial intelligence could turn on mankind very shortly. The idea of AI turning on mankind is an interesting concept for a movie, but it should end there. But the bottom line is that we all know and something composed of metal and plastic can never have motive to do something like that unless instructed by man itself. It's like as if he's trying to get people to become distracted from the more pressing issues like poverty and climate change. And anyone who watches the countless youtube videos about this stuff seem to think he's a genius for such speculation.

Of course interviewers have to indulge him with questions that allow him to pedal more attention in the wrong direction. It's as if he's saying "this is the real issue everyone needs to be afraid of". Of course he also acts as if he's an authority on coronavirus and undermines what the experts say, without pointing out alternative solutions. He recently took a cheep swipe at Joe Biden for not praising some charity thing he did. I'm not quite sure how much of an attention seeker he is but he seems to have an incredibly annoying personality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭B2021M

He may have an annoying personality but do you understand much about AI and its capabilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 In Actuality

Do I need to? The bottom line is that a robot can't experience pleasure and therefore and has no reason to use its imagination... not to mention that it doesn't have imagination. It just doesn't make sense to me. As I say, great for a movie, but please enlighten me if there's something I'm missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

Where are the aliens stories coming from?

I've seen the flir videos and fravors witness report. But it's there anything new?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭B2021M

I'm no expert either but my understanding is that several experts in this field are very concerned about this issue. The technology is advancing at an incredible pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Musk is a serial click baiter. It's best to ignore his drivel. I don't think you understand what a self aware AI means. AI is one of the most atrociously abused acronyms that exists. People use AI as if it exists. It doesn't and it is not clear that humans will ever create one. Not only do we not have the conceptual framework of 'how' you would go about it, we arent within centuries of having the technical prowess to do so, if the quantum interaction in tubules theory of consciousness is close to being right.

An AI would be something conscious that it exists, would be self aware and therefore most certainly would have it's own internally generated motives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

There are a lot of people with real knowledge of AI who have serious concerns about a future scenario where we lose control of it. Check out the open letter on artificial intelligence, it breaks down some of the concerns surrounding AI from potential moral decisions to skynet type situations. It might sound far fetched but if researchers in the field are thinking along those lines it is obviously worth some attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Isn’t this the man who named his kid after random scrabble tiles?

Musk is the greatest attention hawk on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I think we're living in a simulation

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Worrying about the dangers of AI is in the same league as worrying about what could go wrong if we had faster than light space travel.

Given our current understanding and theories of physics, the amount of energy required for even short range interstellar travel is just prodigious. There and back in a lifetime or two, requires more energy than mankind has generated since the first flame. I am extremely sceptical that inter stellar travel is achievable and so doubt the Earth is infested with extra terrestrial visitors. It all looks rather boring and gloomy when it comes to prospects for IS tourism.

AI is as well developed and likely as FTL travel.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭fael

I'm a bit puzzled that you think there are no aliens? I am convinced there are other life-forms out there. The odds of us being the only inhabited solar system are very small.

On the subject of AI, I think you are a but undereducated on the subject (I don't mean that as an insult). Perhaps try to do some research, Life 3.0 by Max Tegmark is a good book to get a nice introduction into AI. Well written and also very accessible for if you don't know anything about it yet. I just want to point out, like someone above here, that true AI does not exist yet. All the companies that refer to their AI normally mean a form of a neural net or machine learning. AI at the moment is a marketing buzzword.

A majority in the field of AI also feel that it could be a threat to humankind, and that we should have proper mechanisms in place to make sure we don't destroy ourselves by inventing AI.

Musk is a complete weirdo, and his fanboys on Twitter etc are absolute morons. Imagine hero worshipping a privileged billionaire oddball?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Taking a swipe at Joe Biden wasn't enough. He's got to go after Bernie now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Manipulation of the stock market for personal gain is his game, expect to see him sell big before the house of cards comes down.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

He has to announce in advance of any large holdings in Tesla that he will sell. He just likes being an edgelord on twatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

His carry on during the Thai cave rescue showed him to be a cnunt of the highest order and he looks like an utter creep.

Advertisement