Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Series Rugby.

Options

Comments

Has been a while since you'd have seen such lack of precision on the basics from NZ though in consecutive matches (though not for all the game obviously)

Some of it down to the opponents, some not - maybe they are just a bit tired

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

They are key losses though, the 2 areas where NZL needed a boost was Centre and the Second Row. With Retallick and Whitlock they just look lethargic and look as old as they are and in the centre you have a world class winger at 13 and a newbie at 12. Still something doesnt feel right with NZL, yes NZL have games where they look lethargic but they have this almost super human ability to respond in these positions but the last week that just hasnt been seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

After the turgidity of the Lions series and other matches last year (including Ireland), it is great to see France, Ireland and New Zealand playing an exciting brand of rugby - in fairness NZ always do. SA have the capability but too often their matches turn into a hand wrestle. Looking forward to the 6 nations. We need luck with injuries to be able to compete with France and England

I don’t think luck will be required to compete though, simply playing well will surfice .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Smashing game of rugby. France and New Zealand seem to bring the best out of each other and for the game of rugby.

Compared to the turgid Lions S Africa matches this year this was wonderful to watch.

The game seems to have gone away from box kicking with the new games rules..thanks be to jesus for that.

No trophies handed out now and still 2 years for NZ to come good. Not sure though if Barrett or Mo'ounga are the right fit for 10. Neither have the kicking game to offer that bit of control especially now with the 50 22 rule.

France are building nicely but still doubts about them closing out tight games.

Great 6N to look forward to. Tightest year ever with 5 of the 6 very competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It’s worth noting that France didn’t dominate NZ today the way that we did last week. But they also have moments of magic that we can’t produce. And England look to be refunding some form. This 6Ns will be fascinating. I can’t wait.

EDIT: I don’t see Wales or Scotland competing in the 6Ns. Neither look all that good at the moment.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

Clearly you guys need to go steal some good Islander players. 😉

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

I'll get my coat.

That's basically France for you, they are never going to be the kind of team that did what we did to NZL but they make up for it with moments that no-one outside of possibly Fiji can produce. Im still not sold on England, they are getting some results but are doing so in a plucky way rather than the way that makes them fearsome. If they go on a run they could be dangerous but for now the jury is still out for me.

Wales you simply cant rule out because its almost better to be a lucky side than a good side and they are a lucky lucky side. They have 2 away games and they only need to strike lucky in one of them to be in contention provided they do the job at home.

Scotland dont have a prayer based on what I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Wasn't England minus some lads? I would admit to not knowing feck all about some of their players!

Wales getting that try when Oz stopped playing! Holy dogturd! I thought it was a good call .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭swiwi_

ive decided the new laws are good. The 50/22 and the goalie dropout are worth persisting with and I think they will TBH. The NH sides were much expansive than the past and it generally paid off

Today they were, although I would attribute the win more down to SA’s terrible game management rather than England being very good (they conceded 18 penalties).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭TRC10

Well done Australia beating Wales 28-22 in Cardiff.

Good win for them

Dave Rennie having a go at the match officials post match. Reckons they’ll get an apology for the performance next week. He may be in for a shock when all they get is a sanction for his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What a dumbass, two days after Erasmus got shat on from a height.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Great results for France and Ireland against the ABs. I think we actually showed more finesse than the French who put in some shuddering tackles. New Zealand looked very tired though. Hard to say what it all means.

I don’t see Atonio play very often but from the little I’ve seen of him I’m not massively impressed with his scrummaging despite the monstrous bulk he brings. France’s scrum seemed to improve after he left today. Their lineout was wobbly enough at times. Lordy, Jaminet is such a smooth kicker.

Post edited by Ardillaun on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I must confess I knew virtually nothing about Freddie Steward before today. He was brilliant for England, surely one of the best full-backs around at the moment, but his team were darn lucky to win. Their forwards were knocked around the place in a way one sees rarely. That South African six-man front row mincing machine looks like a problem for anybody now. Are the three on the bench even better than the starters? A great problem to have.

On quite different and more perilous tacks, is it me or does de Allende play noticeably better for his country than his club? Just asking for a friend. And does anyone chat gently with François Steyn regarding the possibility of perhaps a little weight loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The Kiwi v France was classic. Brilliant rugby!

Woki was outstanding! I know nothing about him, but he is some athlete. France have a serious pack and that's minus Olivon. They deserved that. They still do seem to make some frustrating errors. Missed touch on clearing kicks and Dupont was mugged a couple of times at the breakdown.

NZ really did look tired. Bridge was their best player, imo. Barrett had a bad outing. The last couple of weeks, they've been beaten hard at the gainline and just haven't had much time to create much. But, they will learn from it and move on. It's best that they struggle now rather than 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Ire v Arg match thread here

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Such a pleasure to watch 80 minutes uninterrupted by the TMO. There were no doubt a few microscopic errors that could have been picked up after 20 minutes of analysis but who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

There is a world of difference between the two situations. Still not great.

Personally I think if we're gonna ban slap downs, we should ban them regardless of if the ball goes forward or back. And I also think that one went forward. 7 points instead of a yellow card and penalty the other way is a huge swing.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,038 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nah it clearly went back, he was standing still, reached out and it bounced almost on his left foot.

Yep 100% went backwards. In real time I thought it went forwards but on replay it seemed quite clear to me. Correct decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

That Tomkins try was an absolutely disgraceful call by the referee. Wales just get all the breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I agree. Don't think the current coaching set up is good enough. Who would you bring in? Scott Robertson is the obvious choice. Leon Macdonald maybe?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

But we're not going to ban slap-downs! They're an important part of the game and the most basic rule of rugby is that the ball cannot travel forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Have to say it's been a tough couple of months to be an ABs fan. First time we've lost 3 matches in a year since 2009 I think. But it's been brutal for the players. Basically on tour for 3 months. Should be good for them though as long as they learn lessons from it and make changes for the world cup.

Advertisement