Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boyfriend sending flirty text

• 30-10-2021 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Random2016

Hi..I need your advise please.

I suspected boyfriend was up to something as he got protective of his phone and seen him smile when he opens messages. I've Queried it and he has said he texts his friend who I know. One night I read the message exchanges. Wrong I know but my gut felt something was wrong. I didnt tell him this. I seen some messages where he offers to have a feel he's free any time...she tells him about her auld rabbit and he said that's hot! Anyway there was a few messages I find totally inappropriate and it's eating me up. Problem is I'm pregnant with his baby and don't know what the best way to go about this is. I have asked him if he find her attractive which he Denys...we are in the process of finalising our future home with out kids and I don't know what to do. Please advise. I'm worried sick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

They sound like jokes to me tbh, just from the way you've described them

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Random2016

If there jokes why hide them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It's a boundary-crossing moment. You'd think that in a relationship one shouldn't have to explain that sending messages about copping a feel and vibrators to the opposite sex is inappropriate and disrespectful to you, yet here you are.

But I'm also wrong for looking so I dunno what to do

Did he hide them? He told the OP he was texting this girl. She just said he 'got protective'

He could have been looking up Christmas presents for her at the time...

• Advertisement

He said they were texting about covid numbers...

Not looking Xmas presents as he isn't actually good at using the Internet

OK, well if he lied then that should be a massive red flag..

Also only just realised what you meant by 'auld rabbit'

Yeah. The man needs to cop himself on very rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I don't think he did hide anything though. Rather you invaded his privacy.

Notwithstanding, as a result you are now stressed and worried and unsure. All of which is not good for anyone involved.

If you need to find out more about the texts you are going to need to tell him you accessed them, which will create its own trust issues.

I don't have any real advice except try to look after yourself and try to keep perspective. People flirt with other people all the time. It's nice to feel wanted/attractive etc. It does not mean infidelity or lack of love/fidelity etc

Thank u for ur reply..how do I go about it..do I ask to see her text randomly or do I tell him I snooped? 😔

He is cagey with his phone..he never opens messages when we are sitting beside each other he denied been attracted to her he denied flirting, I know I breached his trust but I felt him a bit distant after my 2nd child was born

• Advertisement

I'm not saying the OP's partner is having an affair, we don't have evidence for that. But all know that guarding one's device is the first sign of suspicious behavior. I've been cheated on before, and my (ex) girlfriend started protecting her phone like they contained nuclear launch codes all of a sudden - and it's one of the first things I noticed was off.

OP's intuition led her to suspect inappropriate contact with the opposite sex, looked at the phone, suspicions confirmed. She shouldn't beat herself up about it. It's generally a bad idea, but her spidey senses led her to believe something was off. On the sliding scale of affairs and looking at a phone, I know which one is worse in my world.

Confront him

Tell him you lost your phone and were trying to find it by ringing your number from his phone and you saw the messages

He lied to you first...

Remind him very forcefully that you're carrying his baby and that this is not a game and you demand commitment and loyalty from him.

How he responds will say a lot about what kind of person he is

Privacy-schmivacy. The woman is carrying his child and he's texting a woman about copping a feel and sex toys. As another poster said it's not a game.

Sounds like you guys are at an important point in your timeline where dishonesty is not a good foundation to build your collective future upon.

It's not easy, but at this stage I'd be flat-out honest with him. No roundabout excuses for going into his phone, own up and tell him exactly why you did it and what lead you to do it. Tell him how you felt reading his offer of physical contact with this 'friend', and her talking about a device that she uses for masturbation. Ask him if this is serious flirting, more, or just a bit of shíte-talking.

There are male-female friendships which totally can happen where the likes of these things are discussed innocently without the implication of romance or sex. But generally from my experience, the male doesn't get overly protective of his phone in this situation or (need to) lie about the situation to his partner.

He could be just looking for a self-esteem boost at a trying time for both of you. Maybe there's more. You won't know unless you confront him honestly and openly about this. Good luck OP.

_Thank you all for your replies...been pregnant isn't helping me. I feel sick to my stomach.

I don't think anything has happened between them but I worry it could. There is talk of a night out as part of a group that they are in but he hasn't hasn't me about it...other people's names have been included in the night out but mine wasn't by either of them..this worries me. I know I need to confront him now and I know it won't be pretty. He got very cross when I questioned him before and even hung up on me. Wish me luck

I was going to say this in my post but thought it was long enough - Keep an eye out for him suddenly taking up a new interest/hobby that doesn't involve you or working overtime when he never worked overtime before. They could be at the stage of flirting where they are building up to that first encounter.

Now having read your quoted post above, this is a red flag in that respect.

Him getting "very cross" and hanging up are more red flags, which even go outside the context of your original concern in the OP.

• Administrators Posts: 13,761 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

His wrong is worse than yours. He'll most likely deflect away from his wrong by accusing you of all sorts. Your gut told you something was going on. People are always told to trust their gut. He already lied about the texts. He wasn't going to admit to texting her inappropriately. So your only option was to find out for yourself.

Now you have a choice to make. Do you tell him and give him a chance to make amends, or do you tell him you won't stand for it and leave the relationship. That's a choice only you can make. But please don't feel that you need to accept disrespectful behaviour in a relationship just because you have children.

Life is very very long to settle for being treated as an after thought in your relationship.

I've been so stupid..feels like there laughing behind my back...there is lots of red flags unfortunately and in a way I guess I was so busy with the kids I let them go until now. Very sick with this pregnancy and it's slowed me down showed up these red flags.

Your boundaries are your boundaries, your values are your values. Don't apologize for them. From my reading they are not crazy and are not off-the-wall.

Another bit of perspective, when a woman is pregnant, it's literally one of the most vulnerable human states one could be in. A partner needs to step the f*ck up and be there at times like this and not hiding his phone because (and he deep down knows it) of thick inappropriate text messages with another woman.

Good luck and Godspeed.

Honesty and openness is great until you get the entire conversation derailled by him accusing her of breaching his privacy.

He has already lied to her, he will get defensive so he'll be looking to change the subject.

If she says to him 'I saw your messages to that other woman the first thing he's gonna say is 'you read my messages??' And then the conversation can get turned into her breaching his trust and he has an 'out

The OP needs to focus entirely on what he is doing because that's what is most important at this critical juncture

• Advertisement

Just to add he has said this pregnancy is making me crazy...turns the tables around on me while he continues to hide his messages

Yeah, as I said, it's not going to be easy. She'll be the worst **** in the world for going into his phone no doubt.

Still though, I'd remain on point in such a conflict and she has a good one - He lied about this and there has to be a reason. If it escalates from there, well then, as I said it won't be easy. Some hard decisions might have to be made.

If you have any trusted long-standing friends you can talk to about this, now is a good time to pick up the phone. That's what they are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,377 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

So now he's gaslighting you too. Classic behaviour from someone who 100% knows he's in the wrong.

How was the relationship before you got pregnant this time?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I kind of agree with this. Privacy is not a sacred cow above all else. There is absolutely nothing in my life that my wife isn't aware of and I wouldn't think twice if she was looking at my phone messages.

We were a bit distant after the birth of our 2nd but I thought we were still OK. I had some issues after the birth that took months to get over

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Confront him. Tell him you checked his phone and saw the messages. Bring this to the surface as it can manifest, bubble and boil in to other areas.

Also to be utmost frank pay no attention to the user who said "invaded his privacy" - That's all garbage. There's always one per checking phone thread. It's all fake ethics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Invading his privacy? **** me. Is that poster projecting or something? If you check and the suspicions are confirmed then it wasn't invading privacy but a smart move that puts you at an advantage in planning your future with this guy, the invasion of privacy argument is void and the now relatively minor issue takes a backseat to the much larger issue of potentially breaking his girlfriend's trust in the first place that led to this. Jesus, I can't believe there's posters actually gas lighting this poor woman in this awakward and confusing situation she has found herself in.

Hi everyone and thanks for your replies.

Here's what happened.

I asked him again about it sat night, denied everything so I asked could I see his messages. He gave me the phone and I read some of the most recent text, questioned him about some and he claimed all were jokes, I told him how they looked to me that he was either having or wanted to have it off with her, denied all, only fu**ing jokes thats all it is..threatened to walk out on me, I told him we needed to talk about it. Anyway he stayed and agreed it may look bad but we're all jokes.

Fast forward to last night when I checked the phone while he was asleep, since I confronted him there are no messages apart from 2, now I suspect he is deleting them which in my opinion is worse and confirms he/she wants to hide something. I lay beside this man with my brain doing 100 miles an hour as I cradled my tummy...I am scared, angry and have no idea what to do. I did ask him if he wasn't happy if he wanted to break up with me not to let the pregnancy stop him and he said he didn't, said he loved me and wants to get our new house sorted so we can call live together properly...

Am I been stupid here? Because i feel like I am....a stupid stupid woman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Morgans

If there wasn't anything with the texts before you confronted him, the pattern shouldn't have changed. I think your gut is right. It's not easy.

You have to be concerned about your future. Should the house and the relationship end in tears you can't say that there were no warning signs.

I'd explain that he needs to do more for you to trust him fully. Outline what you expect - including that he doesn't send flirty texts to others (to me it's laying potential groundwork for fun later but something he can Derby if caught)

Anyway say what it is that you feel is making you lose your trust. If he can't do it, or if he says he can but doesn't follow through, you have a very difficult decision to make regarding your house. It would be good if you all were fair with each other before needing to worry about mortgages and another child.

Post edited by Morgans on

Advertisement