Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What stove to buy - cheapest to run

• 28-10-2021 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'm buying a room heating stove and wondering whether to buy wood-burning or multi-fuel or something else. Probably 5kw-8kw, will be using it to heat sitting room and will open door into kitchen sometimes to heat that. Have no heating downstairs. Have a tight long-term budget so trying to consider wood, coal, peat prices per month with respect to how much heat they give out and for how long.

Wondering if anyone knows if it's cheaper to get wood-burning and just use wood so it's more cost effective. Or if better to get multifuel so I can use peat and/or coal as well. Just cheapest option overall to run, don't want stove or flue to be damaged by coal either

Sorry for my cluelessness , I only have experience with an open fire

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Do you have any heating upstairs? How big is this house? No access to natural gas connection?

solid fuel is not necessarily cheaper and involves a good bit of work as you obviously know.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Forge83

Pellet stove is the cheapest to run by a long way. Will be more expensive to buy first day however.

Multi fuel going to be the most expensive in the long run. Price of coal will rise year on year. Turf/peat is the most uneconomical fuel available for cost versus heat output.

Wood burning is the second best option to pellet. However it must be good tested dried wood, not the wet crap that most Irish fuel merchants sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 paulfogarty

House is 90m squared standard sitting room with door into kitchen. have electric panel wall heaters upstairs. no access to gas where i live and don't see the point spending 10 grand to install oil fired central heating, with the way oil prices are heading. The work involved with stove is no problem for us

Advertisement