Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foods dogs shouldn't eat

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Is this idea of chocolate being poisonous slightly exaggerated? My little dog gets a square or two of chocolate every day. My last dog who lived until he was 15 and. regularly got chocolate. What we call chocolate is mainly sugar and fat. Not the healthiest I’ll admit but not poisonous either. The way some people go on about giving chocolate to dogs, you’d think it was cyanide.

Hell would freeze over before I’d give my dog “dog food” though. That is processed muck. She gets what I eat, fresh chicken, fish or meat plus veg every day. She is slim and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Knowing that chocolate is harmful (even if you believe that the level of potential harm is exaggerated), why would you give your dog chocolate, daily?

I really, can't get my head around it.

I fully understand someone not knowing that chocolate is harmful, but you know, yet you still do it. You obviously, love your dog, though. I don't question this. It makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I saw a homeless person in town one day with two dogs. They opened two large bars of Cadburys and threw them on the ground, one for each dog. The dogs wolfed them down. It looked like a regular occurrence.

I told them how bad chocolate is for dogs. To put it mildly, they didn't want to know.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭hamburgham

You could probably say that chocolate is probably harmful for humans too but we eat it. So what does harmful actually mean?

My dog loves a couple of squares of chocolate and it does her no harm at all. What harm would you say I am doing to her? I firmly believe that the animal waste served up as ‘ dog food’ is far more harmful to a dog’s health than a bit of chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Called the vet after my Bichon Frize tucked into a box of Dairy Milk chocolates. He said not to worry as the coaco amount in milk chocolate wouldn't do much harm but had it been dark chocolate it could have been fatal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭AyeGer

That’s hilarious, he is like fussy child. Won’t eat the same meal two days running.

Advertisement