Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for fixing creaky/squeaky floorboards

Options
  • 27-10-2021 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭

Moved into a new build about 5 years ago, the floorboards in a couple of the bedrooms and landing upstairs were very squeaky from the outset. I'm pretty sure they are just OSB boards with carpet on top, I peeled back a bit of carpet and had a look. Anyway at the time I asked the builder to fix them and he said the problem was the floorboards were nailed and not screwed down so he fixed it by screwing them down. The problem eventually came back after a few months and we've just been living with it since. I'm looking to get it fixed now and wondering what's the best option? From my research I found these

1. I seen there is kits like this for screwing down but not sure if yet more screwing is going to help if the problem is with joists themselves.

2. A retired carpenter suggested putting down another half inch osb boards on top of the existing ones. Obviously I'm no expert but it doesn't seem like a promising solution.

3. Installing braces like in this video seems like a good solution. I'd happily pay someone to do it but where to find that someone is the problem. I'd guess most carpenters probably want nothing to do with fixing squeaky floorboards as they'd be afraid of being hounded when the squeaks come back

Comments

Advertisement