Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could go to university now, what would you study?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Zoology, particularly animal behaviour. I find it very easy to remember things about animals and I find even the most ordinary ones endlessly interesting. I would love to be the world's leading expert in crow behaviour or fox territorialism or something. The idea of hours spent crouched in some undergrowth with a clipboard really appeals to me.

More than likely my research would be derided because I would anthropomorphise their little faces and because I have no stomach for the 'red in tooth and claw' aspect of nature. My house would quickly fill up with wild animals 'rescued' from the wild.

I wouldn't go to University I don't think but I could still see myself moving to a particular country for a number of years to learn a specific language and experience a different outlook on life.

Universities don't hold a monopoly on further education.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rainagain

maybe a part time course at some stage? like https://www.bimm.ie/courses/foundation-diploma-music-audio-production/

I'd love to do English and history, without the exams and memorising dates. I've done some evening courses in TCD, Russian and Polish languages - not a hope of actually talking to someone in either language, but took in enough to make travel easier. Having good teachers made a huge difference. too.

I went to college after school, then started working at something completely unrelated. I can retire from my job in 8 years, currently studying law, might do a masters in something related, before I retire.

If I was doing it all again, I would probably go into something animal/agricultural related.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I’d like to take a course in exercise physiology I think. I’ve been training for marathons and triathlons for a while and I have found it pretty interesting to read into various training methods and the science behind them. I had a vo2 max test a few years ago and I was talking to the doctor for a while, he started out as an gp and went back to college to get into exercise physiology after he started running, now he’s full time in sports science and loving it.

• Advertisement

To be honest I regret this year not doing a history and geography course that I applied for instead I decided to continue my job in hospitality, but I suppose at least one good thing is I have money to pursue other interests such as motorbikes and upgrading my PC.

Environmental Science or Agriculture

@storker My friends Father went back and did a Classics degree on retirement just for the enjoyment. He went straight from school into the family business. He does live near a university and he loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

But good at Art!

I am close to retirement hopefully. Have a load of nursing certificates diplomas and MScs all work related, having gone into my choice of career thinking it would be easier than going to college after school.

Now I just want to something for me, probably useless but not if I like it. This may be my only chance if I can afford it.

Would like to study either History or Art, can't decide which.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Structural Engineering.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Art.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I have a degree in politics and a masters in international politics. My interest in politics has waned quite a bit over the years. I'd would probably study English and History if I had my time over again, my second choice at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭ofcork

I would do something to get into the pharma industry work around guys everyday,pay and perks are off the scale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Upon continued reflection, majoring in AI programming (emphasis within computer science) would have been my back to the future choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 grassmoon

I remember when everyone in secondary school wanted to study medicine for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

University is a waste of time. Better to go to a technical college (if there even is such a thing after Joan Burtons tyrade) or alternatively learn a trade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GlobalSun

I'd say Business. I've always enjoyed corporate law/corporate finance law related modules and did really well without studying much. However, I particularly disliked all other areas of law (tort, EU law, equity, property, human rights etc..) - utter torture. They were all too "theoretical" and boring for me. I remember when I did this two week placement at some law firm and worked on two different assignments: one was some legal research/jurisprudence assignment and the other was a numerical Excel spreadsheet I had to figure out. I did really well on the numerical assignment and struggled with the legal research one (hated it). That's when I realized law was not for me because it lacked the "numerical" component. I'm not a maths genius by any means, but law is too theoretical for me. Hence, Business would have been a better fit because it encompasses various areas. I wouldn't have ended up in Ireland if I hadn't studied law though, so I'm grateful for that. I now work in financial services.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Civil service, along with a few others from my class. There was a large public administration component to our degree. People I studied with mainly went into business/finance. A handful went into teaching and law.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Law

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Investigative reports

French language and live in France afterwards.

• Advertisement

Honestly I wouldn't go back to university or anything like that. Nothing stopping you from learning what you want to these days unless youre looking for recognition for it or you need a qualification to do what it exactly it is you want....

I might learn a language or maybe start brushing up on my history

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Couldn't pay me enough to go back and do graphic design in college again. That $hit is tough going, we were actually told at the start of every term that if we had a part time job to quit it because of how demanding the course is and they weren't wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I did it online this year after been laid off work last Christmas. The online courses only really teach you how to use the software though. I'm learning the rest from books and youtube. Do you still do graphic design or are you doing something else now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sunny_Arms

culinary. i like to see people's reactions when they eat my food. even if it's terrible. i also like to learn baking. my grandmother liked to bake and made banana bread and bread pudding when she had the chance. but now that she's gone, i don't remember her recipes anymore. maybe if i was more attentive to cooking then maybe i can recreate her recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Women

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Following, that Astrometry

Got accepted into a software engineering diploma today. And it came about because of this post letting me know it was even possible. The very first reply in the thread. Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

I'd love to do the full degree course in jewellery and design including learning how to be a goldsmith.

I've had an abiding interest in gemstones and diamonds for decades. I'm an absolute stone nerd, they all fascinate me on a molecular level upwards. I do use the knowledge I've accrued to deal occasionally in jewellery but that's mostly to make sure my friends get the absolute maximum bang for their buck. And I do enjoy that but to be able to design and create pieces myself either hand made or cast would be amazing.

Advertisement