Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars you nearly bought but are glad you didn't.

Options
  • 26-10-2021 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

Like a lot of car nuts there is nearly always something that catches my eye after a few years. I've come close to making some pretty dire decisions and dodged a few motoring bullets over the years. Some are below.

B5 Passat - Was blown away by this was launch. Felt like a game changer in build and design compared too the B4 and went a bit nuts trying to buy one. Came close to trading in both family cars to get into one. Luckily sense prevailed, one of us would be on the bus. We needed two cars.

FIAT Punto sporting - Coming from a bigger car I loved the styling and idea of a small town car. The reality was it felt like it was made out of yogurt pots, was noisy and uncomfortable.

E38 7 series - Always wanted one. Considered one a few years ago, 2001 728i sport. Looked great from a distance but close up was clear it was not a cherished example and would need a lot of work. The heart was saying yes, the head held firm. Haven't given up yet though.

Opel Zafira (last model) - The Scenic needed to go, this was more refined, drove much like a car, felt more solid. Much underrated I think, but skipped it for a Superb and haven't looked back.

Opel Insignia Estate - Was great value and fantastic spec, drove really nicely too. Came very close but faced nightmare depreciation, wasn't as spacious as we needed and engine horror stories put us off.

I'm pretty certain there are more, and there are some that I wish I had bought. E39 is top of that list.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Nearly bought a brand new a6 at end of 2020, had the papers ready to go but pulled out. Glad I did, 60k and I wouldn't have enjoyed it any more than my 2014 one. Nicer interior but that's about it. And 40k to move up the years, I just thought it poor value. Same thing with a 50k 330e I almost bought brand new. Going to stick to the 25-30k range now.

I haven't regretted any purchase, maybe a 1.6 alfa 156 after my e39 530i msport, sold the alfa soon after and got a nice 525i msport because I missed the e39 so much. E60 523i was a bit of a letdown after e39s but only slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nearly bought a Fiat Stilo when they launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Nearly bought an Alfa 147 when they were fresh on the Irish market. I thought they were gorgeous at the time and loaded up with nice spec as standard that wasn't available or cost big bucks to spec on rival cars.

The main thing that put me off was Alfa/Fiat's "open book" trade in policy which effectively meant they offered you peanuts for your trade in, so it seemed an expensive proposition.

Their subsequent reputation for poor residuals and worse reliability confirmed that I probably dodged a bullet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I came uncomfortably close to buying a Fiat Multipla once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Back in the 80s I almost bought a well used Mk II Golf GTI from a garage on Long Mile Road. It was a bit rough-looking but I was mad keen to have a GTI.

My gut feeling eventually prevailed and I passed. Was glad later when I found a much nicer one nearer home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Delete this post, your entire posting history, your online presence and move to the nearest wooded area. Then spend the rest of your days thinking about what you almost did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I actually admire Multipla owners who saw past the styling to what is in fact a brilliant, oddball car.

Post edited by Stallingrad on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,626 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You certainly got lucky not buying that Passat. I will agree at the time I thought they were nice too especielly with the beige interior and trued to get the parents to buy one but they said it was too expensive and it was as well as not being very good in a crash.

As for the Fiat Punto sporting I disagree with everything you said about it. Maybe you were on about the older model put the sister had a 2002 model in yellow and it could do 100mph easily and was very comfortable. It also saved her life when some idiot drove into the side of her so it was a very safe car too for its time. Such a pity that happened to ot do but that was not the end of it. It subsequently got a new second chance and was on the road again by someone else.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Back in 2010, nearly bought a Opel insignia v6. It was one of the Opel Ireland launch cars from 2009. Had loads of kit and was six months old with a huge price reduction on new.

I was tempted but when the dealer offered to drive the 100 miles to my house to show me the car I knew how desperate they were to get rid and I would probably not be able to give it away after.

Advertisement