Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anon letter

Options
  • 24-10-2021 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm just wondering what the law is with anonymous letters. I just found out my friends husband is cheating on her and using her for an inheritance. I want to send a simple letter to say what I know I feel so sorry for her and she needs to know if I tell her out straight I will be involved and being pregnant at the moment I just can't deal with it. My issue is her husband is a guard will he be able to trace the letter sent. Can they check cctv in the post office its sent from, can fingerprints be demanded if im ever suspected. Thanks

Comments

It's just a letter. It's not threatening anything. Just has information in it. So, nothing illegal.

Unless of course, the information is false. Then I suppose it's libel or something. That's civil anyway.

That doesn't mean it's a good idea though, for all kinds of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭Jeff2

TBH there is to much information is the OP post about their friend.

I'd just tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

show them this thread, ask them what they'd do...

Buy a Burner mobile and text your friend.

Rove sim and throw out phone as e waste when done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

That’s quite an accusation to make in an anonymous letter/ text. Who do you think she will believe? An anonymous, and potentially malicious person, or her husband?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Post in a letter box and wear gloves when writing it.

But what's the outcome you want from sending an anonymous letter to your friend? She isn't going to be happy and will most likely think that it's a prank. IMO if you want to tell her do it face to face,when you can offer support, or do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kooreczka

If you wanna stay friends with her don't tell her anything. This is their relationship and if she loves him she will choose him over you. People are unfortunately blind once it comes to love and relationships and no matter what you do or say if she doesn't see him for who really is no letter or conversation between two of you is going to change it. It will only ruin your friendship with her, unless there is some issues in the relationship already then maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Someone else's relationship is none of your business. You don't know what arrangements people have made between themselves. If you are determined to say something then do so in person, what you're suggesting is cowardly and interfering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

If you are that much of friend you should be able to tell her straight out to her face.

Plus the husband will easily blag his way out of it using the anon stick to beat it- "Shure it's a personal grudge. A load of criminal/scumbags out there want to make my life misery"- easy shoot down. It won't have the desired impact.

If I found out 100% any of my friends were being cheated on I would tell them and I would like to think they would tell me if the role was reversed.

The notion that they cops will go full CSI:Miami on it is hilarious. You are safe enough sending it.

Can they check cctv in the post office its sent from,

They can also check cctv where the stamp was bought as stamps have individual numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

or check for DNA from when you licked the stamp, or partial fingerprints if it was one of those self adhesive ones....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,265 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Set up a new email address and send it by email.

Although she will be able to email back of course

It is much easier to trace email than an ordinary letter

If they are that worried about it that the lady is going to try take it to court to get IP addresses, she can use a VPN (or something like protonmail). All but the last header in an email can be spoofed. And the earlier one won't give your IP but the IP address of the email provider server. Unless she has her own email server set up!

vpn would help but no guarantee of not being found

It's an email to an individual. Non threatening and non abusive. She's not emailing a bomb threat to the CIA. Sign up for protonmail. Send the email and never open that account again.

Only gap would be if it either went into spam or the person didn't open it thinking it was spam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Stay out of it. It's none of your business. If one or other party has decided to go offside that is up to them. Almost always there is more to the story than meets the eye.

Advertisement