Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inverter charge/discharge questions

• 24-10-2021 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭

Quick question for any one with Solis inverters. If you have them set for nighttime charging and then day discharging from 8am are you then losing out on any generation on the sunny days in late autumn and winter. For example yesterday was promised poor so charged batteries from 4-8am on night rate but then from 8am on when sun is out in intervals they are effectively ignoring the solar generation as set to only discharge. Am I missing something?

Other thing that is quite frustrating is if you forget to set max export to 0 as soon as the battery discharge time kicks in they discharge full power to the grid as well as the house.

Comparing to other inverters I have seen also where you can remotely set batteries to charge from grid the Solis disappoints in that it has to be manually turned on with the inverter should I wish to charge on occasional days.

Many thanks for any help or advice with this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭jkforde

just set the Charge period (eg 0600-0800), leave rest blank, works for me anyhow using Solis 5G with latest firmware

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

This was explained well by idc in this thread, look for his post....

don't set discharge time at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 stevekn

to take advantage if the Octopus negative pricing on this windy day, with my Solis inverter, ive charged my batteries to max, (overnight) and am wanting to use some of this afternoons “free” grid energy to clean my oven ( self cleaning)

how do i make the Solis inverter use the grid and not deplete my batteries ?

ive tried to include a discharge time period with 0A discharge rate, but it is ignored, and the batteries are supplying the power !

Steve

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Charge time and set the charge rate to 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if your battery is full when the sun is shining, you'll export any excess. So you're effectively charging up at (say) 7c and selling at (say) 20c. As I understand it, if you have a cheap night rate, it's worth charging your battery every night, so long as your export rate is higher than the night rate.

In my case, we're still on a 24h rate and if I switch to a smart plan with cheap night rate, my day/peak rates go up. So I'm really not sure if there is a benefit as in the winter at least I could be worse off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 stevekn

thanks hadn't thought to programme charge at zero !

wouldn't it be nice if there were manual charge/discharge-time button ( on app?) rather than having to go in and programme everything in the clunky interface.

Advertisement