Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Irelands best place to live

Options
  • 22-10-2021 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Recently voted. I agree but I am from there. Other opinions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Don’t think I could ever live there. Having to listen to that accent and, constantly, hear about how great “blaas” are would drive me nuts.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Not for me. Very west Brit. Never found the natives the friendliest, a bit up themselves and insular, a sort of Cork-lite thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

well boi/girl!

at least we know we re above you all!

id love to know the criteria that was used in the survey, like everywhere else, property prices and rents are off the walls!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

not a hope in hell would i live there.

best place in ireland to live is westport co.mayo and im not from there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

It's a hole full of in-bred factory workers. Full of unions, secret societies and biker gangs. It's like Rathfarnham and Crumlin joined to make a new town. No planes in the airport, no railway to the port in Rosslare, no North Quays, no Michael St shopping centre, no musical festival anymore. They have a parade called Spraoi for people who did pass subjects in the leaving cert. No decent rock bands. It's a sanctuary for asylum seekers - that's all you need to know about that town. Any kid with a brain leaves after school. Full of middle-aged men giving out because they're short. Joe Duffy took the piss and rejected an invite from some knob on the local paper. Their gaelic foot team is the lowest ranked in the country.

• Advertisement

‘It’s like a bap but it’s more floury, great with luncheon, no not lunch, the meat…you don’t know what luncheon is?!?!’

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Waterford City is probably the most boring place in Ireland, crap pubs and crap restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sudocremegg

I don't speak posh so have no idea what luncheon is.

Blaas are lovely with red lead though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Too much traffic in the town for me. They should pedestrianise the whole centre and the qualify of life there would be vastly improved.

Also they need better chippers. Got a fish and chips over the summer (which they called a 'fish supper' for some reason) and it was awful. Also the pub food was poor.

Otherwise nice though with plenty to keep one occupied.

ah your major mistake, leave the city for the real joys....

I'm sure there are worse places but I'm looking forward to getting away from it in the near future and it might be the west Brit in me but "the mainland" looks more appealing in terms of work and happiness levels at the minute. I think Ireland in general is just not somewhere I want to be anymore, it's lost it's soul and is a very depressing place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

If you think Ireland is soulless wait until you live in the UK for a while.

It wouldn't be a first, I've lived outside Ireland before. Not really much to stay for and more reasons to start new somewhere else. There's little between the two but I don't love Ireland anymore.

Was watching one of those “home renovation” shows recently, Angela Scanlon presents it.

Anyway, the couple couldn’t do the “build” because of Brexit. No could give them a proper quote, provide any confirmation on materials or a start time, was bizarre.

I would have thought the episode would just have been dumped but they aired it and, in the end, the couple just moved house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

"Middle aged men giving out because they're short". Classic. You should write material for Dylan Moran.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

So do you.

This can go around in circles. Stop moaning. Move on

How do i sound insufferable and moaney, I didn't even say anything? Unlike your man who decides to whinge about everything from "da unions" to "da pass LC students". Like christ on a bike everyone knows that was nothing short of a little miserable cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Pubs & cheap food! If that's all that draws you to a city, town or county you're better off where ye are!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

He can use this:

Waterford will soon have a technical university for people who get 290 points in the leaving cert. It will be the worst uni in the country with zero benefits to the town. Only Carlow will do well.

They celebrated annually the youngest solider in ww1 to get killed till they found out he wasn't as young as they thought (not the census for that year of birth).

All the middle-classes live out the Dunmore Road. Most of their parents grew up in Waterford city centre and are about as middle-class as a family of plumbers from Ballyfermot.

Their glass factory trained people in East Europe who then took their jobs when production moved abroad.

The only town in Ireland where teenagers want to work in a factory when they finish school.

The only town where they want to build a big statue of a viking to make themselves feel important.

One of the highest rates for single mothers, asylum seekers, unemployed (some areas are 30%), and on disability payments.

The created a tourist areas called the viking triangle where most people living there aren't descended from vikings as it's full of non-nationals.

Their soccer team has had more managers in the last 30 years than than the local McDonalds.

The whole town knew about Bill Kenneally tying kids to trees but kept quiet for decades as he had political connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

A friend that moved to Waterford recently was delighted with his choice.

Said the house was bigger for the same money in Cork with more land around it and closer to the seaside and there was plenty of work in his particular occupation in supporting manufacturing.

I guess it’s not the city though, more rural.

However, he did tell something interesting that I had no clue about, that Waterford in it’s history was a very powerful area in terms of importing and exporting, there was more to it but I can’t remember the specifics. It seems a pity that the region has gone downhill in terms of industry over the past century.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭nomoedoe

Wow id really hate to be as miserable as you it must be very tiring!

For anyone that doesn’t know this guy has multiple accounts on boards and all of them just to knock Waterford ,he let his cards down once though and posted the reason he hates the place so much is his wife and kids left him and for some strange reason blames Waterford for it!

It is a pity because geographically it is a beautiful place to live. I just thought corruption was the norm in Ireland and not specific to Waterford but Jesus, there really are no words.

Lol. The accent is fairly mild. Bland even. Are you confusing it with cork, Kerry, Dublin, or all the north?

I’m a dub and I like Waterford. To visit at least. The coastal areas surrounding the town are amongst the best in Ireland but not as busy as the south west. The comeragh drives are great. I’ve taken foreigners to Waterford (city and county) and they loved it.

cant talk about living there. I’ve noticed people from Waterford themselves are often down on the place, so who knows.

Where do you live? whats your job?

I'd love to know why you think you're better than literally everybody else. The snobbery and classism here is astounding.

Do you really think any of that rant makes sense. It is the product of a monomaniacal mind. The only corruption was the last bit and it’s not like other parts of Ireland haven’t covered up abuse.

otherwise it’s a Viking statue, a middle class who aren’t middle class, a soccer team with a lot of managers, a factory that moved to Poland ( you know like dell) and a lot of classist abuse about people who like to work in factories or are on the dole. And the anti asylum seeker stuff.

that guy knows far too much about Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Not from there, but my wife is from Waterford city. In my view, the city center is a dump. It’s depressing walking through parts of the city, filled with both locals and let’s says ‘internationals’, clearly not living very productive lives. Having said that, some of the suburbs, particularly out on the Dunmore road, are pretty nice.

Where Waterford really excels is the county. Dunmore East, Tramore, Dungarvan, and Lismore are all lovely towns. The coastline, the beaches, the comeragh mountains, and the drive through the ‘vee’ in the knockmaledown mountains are simply stunning. Really beautiful and thankfully not overrun by visitors.

Advertisement