Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late calf weight gain

Options
  • 20-10-2021 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

We brought in this year's spring born calves for the winter. one was a bit late and now behind the group on weight when looking at them in the shed. Is there a high energy feed that would cause stomach upset to help catch up .

Would prefer not to run her into the following years group.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

If its weight gain you want then add Maize meal to whatever ration/beef nut you are giving it, but it will still looked forced by the time it has the weight gained and will not match with the others. In fairness weanlings need protein at that stage for growth not weight gain. If it were me I'd sell it on as it's only a single weanlen. There is always someone out there trying to put together a bunch of similar cattle so if he/she has 10-15 together than it makes more sense for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

Id say I'll have to move her on to calve at 2.5 years or keep her to following year.

Came back with 1100 count for worms and have l but the others were low, she was a little younger going so maybe lower immunity/resistance.

Not sure how long recovery following the dose will take or if there is something else going on

Advertisement