Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going through a crisis and farming

Options
  • 19-10-2021 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Just thinking about a plan for the farm if you were going through a personal crisis and couldn't manage it. And you didn't have any neighbours, family or friends available to manage it for you.

Would like to plan for this and have a strategy that takes the mental worry of the farm away, when life decides to throw other things my way.

How long would it take to lease land?

Could you sell animals that are heavily in calf?

Is there any leeway with the department in terms of subsidy payments, stocking rate, clawback etc. if you offloaded all the livestock and leased?

Or are you stuck with managing the livestock and land and have no choice but the ride it out...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I've seen the Department of Agriculture help people who have insurmountable problems, so if a perrson feels they cant go they should go talk to them.

If yu treat cows carefully in late pregnaancy there's no reason why you can't move them to another farm in late pregnancy, I wouldn't be putting them in a mart though. Once the stock would be gone off the farm there'd be no urgency on leasing the land. I leased my land in about two weeks from first putting it in Donedeal.

A very old neighbour got incapacitated a couple years ago and the neighbours came from everywhere to help him and the department vets sorted the destocking for him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Agree the department can be helpful. In the meantime, if its within reason, when looking at the farm and jobs involved think of it in a a way where the jobs had to be done by a person coming in the gate having not been there before. Make things as manageable and understandable as possible. Numbering paddocks or fields, a map of the farm, handling facilities etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Had To step in and take over a farm and wild sucklers that was in terrible disarray, cards and cattle missing and mixed up.

Department were great, very helpful. We were able to sell all cattle as soon as we were able to have them loaded on the farm which took about three weeks of meal feeding three times a day to get them cornered.

Afterwards department were very facilitating regarding “irregularities” in the herd. “Once your 100% honest with us there will be no problems” is what I was told and they absolutely delivered.

Advertisement