Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contributors who vanished from Radio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Longback

I heard BP Fallon one time a few years ago while he was presenting a show on RTÉ refer to a “Gee hair” as a unit of measurement to describe how narrow something was. Often wondered if that was the reason I never again heard him on RTÉ …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Molloy was a great “contributor” but his own show could be a tough listen at times. He’d read from his notes and it would sound quite wooden.

Anyway, it looks like John Fardy muscled him out of his show. Not sure it’s much of an improvement, felt Molloy was more of a film “anorak” so you got more from his input.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Walking_Wolf

Louise Kings. She was a psychic who used to appear on Adrian Kennedy's show on FM104 quite regularly, back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

A presenter rather than a contributor, but John Murray had a fall from grace after the Mickey Harte controversy - I'm not sure if he has any presenting job now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,811 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Jason Maine... anybody know his whereabouts ?

also Greg Gaughran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Charlie Wolf. UK based right wing Yank who for a while hosted a morning show on Corks Red FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Sorry to hear that about Charlie. For someone who brought exceptional energy to his radio programming, particularly on Laser 558, Parkinsons is very cruel blow. I wish him well.

• Advertisement

Sam Smyth used to have a lawyer on from New York every week, normally shooting the breeze about nothing in particular.

I always assumed that he was, at best, just a lawyer well-known in New York legal circles (appearing every week at on an Irish radio show at what must have been an ungodly hour on the east coast seemed a strange gig for a big-time celebrity lawyer), but years after the show was axed, I learned that that he was the basis for the Tommy Killian character in 'Bonfire of the Vanities',which I thought was fairly impressive.

You are right it seems; I turn off the radio when the sport comes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

None of those were contributors. They were presenters. Jason Maine retired. Greg Gaughren has been presenter with Dublin and commuter belt classic rock station Radio Nova and is still there. He also has some position like Head of Music. As I said, none of them were contributors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Is Philip Molloy still on radio? Used to love listening to his film segment on the George Hook show a few years back. Not sure if he has his own slot now or if that's finished too? He was very knowledgeable and a great critic without being snobbish about film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭hawley

The Gabby Cabby. Used to do my head in. Used to be on Pat Kenny's show, other Irish programmes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Tork

Matt Cooper occasionally had him on The Last Word after that. Sometimes in the US slot instead of Cal or Marion I think. I haven't listened to TLW much in ages so I don't know if he has been back.

I was going to mention that muppet but couldn't remember his name. New York taxi driver, a right pr!ck by all accounts. Neil Prendiville used to have him on a lot on Corks 96 FM as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Terence the Cork hairdresser.

Dr Bill Cullen. The ah jaysus be the hokey cokey one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Terence is still on the radio every day afaik. AKA John Creedon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He was OK when on with Hook but awful as a presenter by himself on the movie show, dreadfully slow and morose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I felt the same. Newstalk back then was a much better listen.

George Hook made the evening commute far more tolerable; Michael Graham's contribution would always give that 'other' viewpoint you'd rarely hear on radio. Add to that the lunchtime news show which was actually a lunchtime news show (was it Damien Kiberd?). I also enjoyed the night time shows with Declan Carty and later Marc Coleman. Although over the top I wish NT would bring back the night time chat shows - Tom Dunne should really be back on Today FM with his music show.

Almost forgot to mention the outrageous hilarity that was the 'Your Call' show with Brenda Power in the mornings. I wasn't a regular listener - but I remember having a rough day at work and boy did her visit to the Dept of Health demanding to see Mary Harney cheer me up no end.

Ha, Michael Graham. Trump Lite.

Alternately loving us and insulting us calling Eurowienies.

John O Donovan, serial radio phone in-er and anti everything "campaigner".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I never heard Molloy's Saturday show but I know what you mean. Hook prob balanced things out by being his usual motormouth self, and Molloy was well able to call him out on his shíte talk. They bounced off each other well.

Molloy was also a breath of fresh air compared to the other critic who'd occasionally be on the show - a younger academic type who was too highfalutin to appreciate mainstream films.

The good thing about Hook being gone is not having to listen to Dave McIntyre on it. An absolute pain in the gonads on that show, he was.

RIP Simon Young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

100% agree. The saturday evening movie show was like a graveyard when Molloy presented. The banter with George mid-week was really the only entertaining thing about him on NT.

John Fardy does a much better job now on the weekend movie show imo. Very entertaining, lively, good interviews, an encyclopedic knowledge of film and Tv. And interesting guests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭robo

Emilia Golightly -who?

I used to love listening to her 3 minute slot just before I fell asleep in the 90's, and I always wondered who did her voice, Fiona Looney! I never knew that until today.

Fiona Looney - another contributor that was a staple with Gerry Ryan and some other RTE shows, you don't hear her as much these days. I remember she used to spend summer holidays with the kids, camping in France. And loved the Irish football team.

Karen Fricker, an American who used to do movie, theatre reviews etc on Radio 1 circa late 90s, early 00s. Believe she's back in the States. (Edit: she's in Canada these days)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

I think Fiona Looney was on 2FM -or whatever it was called then- on Saturday afternoons for a while around 2010/11. She still writes for the Mail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭pjordan

Tim Lehane used to a great quirky show on RTE back in the 90's called Monday 702.

No more than George Hook (actually probably even more than George) Kevin Myers got right royally shafted and "cancelled" by his media colleagues in Ireland, none of whom seemed want to have anything to do with him because of a foolish editorial mistake blown out of proportion. The only show I heard on him since his fall was I think Ivan Yates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭patspost

Years ago Pat Kenny on RTÉ radio 1 used to have Paul Duncan the Poet on occasionally. He was always worth a listen.

Karlin Lillington? used to be on a Casio Nally discussing personal finance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭patspost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Karlin Lillington was and is a tech correspondent and is on a fair bit on various stations; she may have done finance stuff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Bibi Baskin appeared back on the airwaves regularly a couple of years ago and seems to have disappeared again. I presume someone from HR came down to the producers morning meeting with her file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bibi retired in May.

She came back on 96fm, she had worked for RTE before she left to become a hotelier so absolutely no corporate connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

The Gardener - Dermot O'Neill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Whenever hot topics arise, you get some expert on the air, seemingly every other day. Then when the news cycle moves on, they simply vanish. Case in point was the so called Childrens Referendum and there was some lad from Waterford IT who seemed to be in every week for the Finucane show. Mind you a good few regulars on that show were delisted when O'Connor took over. He has his own set of pals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

BP pops up on Dunphys podcast from time to time (he was on recently discussing the new Beatles doc), he's impossible to get rid of, if there was a nuclear war he'd survive and be found boring the head off cockroaches with his tales of how he met someone famous back in 1968

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Barry Kenny was showing up with such regularity along with his regular Hooky love-in at one point you'd wonder was he doing any work for Irish Rail at all. Only shows up now very occasionally for mild chastisement when trains are late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

I don't listen to RTE Radio 1 as much as I used to but there used to be a Polish guy Zbyszek Zalinski on a lot a few years ago who I don't hear as much of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That is his job.

Barry Kenny, Corporate Communications Manager

Barry joined Iarnród Éireann in 1994 and has spent his career with the company in the communications area.

Best known for representing the company in the broadcast and print media, Barry is also responsible for a number of areas including social media policy and development; and liaison with public representatives, as well as media relations.

Barry enjoys travelling the world and has a keen interest in sport and current affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Constantin Gurdgiev - he used to be everywhere a while back. The most pro-capitalist Russian on the airwaves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭chicorytip

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Eanna Ni Lamhna is great craic. She could be talking about the grass growing and she'd be able to throw in a sex analogy in there somewhere.

I've heard her a couple of times recently.

He predicted that Ireland would end up worse than Greece around circa 2010.

Not much room for permabears once an economy bounces back, turned out he hadn't much of a clue but his exotic accent left him in demand when doom and gloom was everywhere

Éanna Ní Lamhna is from Co. Louth and Brenda O'Donoghue is from Co.Kildare. There seems to be some confusion in some of the previous posts about contributors to Derek Mooney's show!

It's 100% Brenda O'Donoghue I was thinking of - I'm sure she is a nice person, but my toes curl whenever I heard her on the radio.

• Advertisement
Advertisement