Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody notice the amount of cafe / restaurant staff which still handle cups/glasses by the lip?

Options
  • 16-10-2021 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

The hospitality sector has had it rough over the last few months and those still working in it deserve our appreciation.

However, has anybody noticed the amount of staff which still handle cups and glasses by the lip (of cup, of glass)?

This was kinda / barely passable behaviour pre-pandemic. But, in a pandemic, it's just does not seem hygienic at all.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

no

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Never. Not once.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Yeah , yeah I did ...oh wait now , no sorry I was thinking of something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

yes. in fact i made a scrap book about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,950 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm speechless, perhaps a good thing but I can stretch to Nooooooooooo!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No and I couldn't care less if they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

yes. Young wans in local pub. With older relations that ordered a bottle of wine, delivered the bottle with the fingers holding the 3 glasses together. They felt like saying something, but didn't. Said they should be trained properly. You shouldn't need to be trained not to do this!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

• Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You even see barmen on tv pulling pints and doing it, to make it even more ironic the news story being covered is usually about the impact of the pandemic on their business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,934 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It doesn't make much difference how they carry it. If they carry it by the lip you contact their germs, if they carry it by the handle/side you still contact their germs and people make contact with their face a lot more than they think. They carry the delph and utensils in their hands also so they are a risk.

The only way to be sure not to get any contamination off the server is to bring your own glass/delph/utensils. Then to avoid contamination from the people preparing it you should bring you own produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cavan_man2021

Yes I have noticed how staff finger and maul glasses. I think in the past 2 years we have become more aware of it.

I avoid eating out anymore, if someone coughs you look over at them, if someone walks to close to your table you crinch up.

Barman standing at the bar wiping glasses with a tea towel but really cleaning off lip stick, over shining that glass, lips marks are still on it after dish washer quick wash.

You are smelling your cutlery to make sure it is clean before using it.

I think we are becoming more hygiene aware.

Wouldn't agree with that. If they carry it by the lip you will most likely come into contact when you take a sup. If they hold it by the handle/side, it's up to you to avoid touching your face/mouth and wash your hands as normal. Definitely a different level of risk.

So every time a server comes to your table you wash your hands! Why bother going to places if you are that paranoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,327 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's fairly common OP.

Just imagine the stuff that happens that you can't see in the kitchen, storeroom, etc.

Where did I say that? You should try to avoid touching your face/mouth/nose while your hands are not washed. That is basic advice. Just try to keep your hands away from your face and it won't matter whether the outside of the glass is dirty or not. You can wash your hands a little later! 😁

But you have zero choice of avoiding your mouth touching the lip of the glass, and if they've carried them that way, the increased risk is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

just the Tip

For those that don't see the difference between a server holding the glass by the side, versus the lip, here are some helpful links!

But it should be thought about like this - say a server collects all the empty glasses inserting their fingers into those glasses, holding them where customers have had their mouths. They are not going to have washed their hands before serving the next customer, and then they hold his glass by the rim. The amount of bacteria all being concentrated on new glasses from loads of previous direct contact with manky mouths on glasses!

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2015/11/dishing-up-disease-food-server-follies/

If the server brings you a glass of water or other drink while handling the glass near the rim, it is a bad sign. Either ask for a straw to avoid touching the rim with your lips, or leave the restaurant. Chances are that if they handle your glass near the rim, then they have little regard for other food safety issues.

https://frucosol.com/en/2020/02/18/train-your-staff-to-serve-drinks-the-right-way/

When waiters serve drinks at the table, they must handle the glasses from the bottom. Waiters should never place their hands and fingers near the edge of the glass. Always handle glassware by stems, handles or the bottom of the glass.

https://bevspot.com/13-reasons-your-bar-could-fail-a-health-inspection/

Never pick up glasses by the rim. By doing so, you’re spreading any bacteria that might be on your hands straight into your customer’s mouth. Make sure to hold the glass by the bottom or by wrapping your hand around the side. If you’re serving wine, be sure to hold the glass by the stem. Be wary of this, not only does this bad habit put your customers at risk, but many people keep an eye out for this when they go to bars and restaurants. You reputation is also important.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

So what do you do with cutlery? They'll have been several hands on cutlery before it gets to your table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

thanks podgeandrodge.

I can't believe that SOME people that work in hospitality based businesses don't seem to know about these rules.

Yeah, I saw this last June on RTE news.

A piece on the safe re-opening of hospitality and ironically the clip showed in broad daylight bar staff handling glassware by the lip. You could not make it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's training. Some business owners think that proper service is something that everyone should just know, but that's not true. Sure, you can pick it up over time, and some manage to pick it up correctly from the get go, but most have terrible waiting habits. Holding 3 wine glasses with your fingertips in the glass is something a savage would do. You can safely and hygienically carry about 12 wine glasses in 1 hand, if you're trained how.

Re: the cutlery, a proper kitchen would have the stupid hot water washer, and then someone to empty for drying (they would dry from just being so hot), then stacked for the wait staff to bring wherever or placed by the chefs for usage. Wait staff should then buff the cutlery with steam from hot water and a specific towel. Yes, they are then touched by the waiter while placing, but again that depends on the place. I used to give the cutlery a quick buff as I was placing, and I've never seen someone hold cutlery by the head. Personal hygiene from there, if you want to touch your mouth, so be it.

Of course, the public should also learn some eating etiquette, especially how to tell your waiter that you're finished without telling them, ie: cross you knife and fork across the plate. Placing them side by side means you're not finished.

Thanks PM for your informative and two-sided post.

It really is amazing how many places cannot get the simple thing of telling staff not to touch glass / cup rims right!

Advertisement