Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who actually listens to Spirit FM?

Options
2»

Comments

Yeah, I must kind of say really that I did kind of get used to it for a finish..

Whenever God turned it on in the car I generally left it on for a bit..

It's very positive kinda..and I'm a miserable bastard so it probably does me good..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

They now have 20 FM transmitters and the MW outlet in Carrickroe. That would have quite a bill at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Taxi drivers in Dublin! I once had to ask a driver to turn it town!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No the costs are NOT SPLIT.

Despite more or less getting eighty million in free money from the government TV3 (who only had 80% coverage before Saorview) took legal action to limit costs to how many bytes were actually transmitted even though most of the cost is electricity which is the same if a multiplex transmits one byte or half a dozen channels in Full Proper HD. This is in effect a massive subsidy for Virginmedia as without them there'd only be a need for one Mux. (eg: Saorsat dropped bandwidth to 12500 which is a tad lower than the 24000 on each of the DTT multiplexes.)

Virginmedia/TV3 are why you get crap picture low bandwidth width of 528 pixels instead of proper 720 pixel SD. Even RTE HD is only 1440 instead of 1980 wide. BAI should hang their heads in shame as they send people off to subscription services or UK Freesat.

/RANT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

His son is involved with some weird breakaway Catholic sect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

That American style tele (or radio) evangelism never sat well with me. I don't have any religious beliefs anymore and I'm relieved that the Catholic Church don't have that stranglehold on Irish society that it once had but I think one downside is a vacuum thats partially being filled by shady baptist, evangelist type organisations plus the likes of the Scientologists and also weird breakaway Catholic sects who seem to be obsessed with turning the clock back to pre Vatican II.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,225 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Those assorted weirdos attract publicity out of all proportion to their numbers.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

because we do, as we do have a tiny semblance of a radio market in this country, very tiny as that is.

there is no reason not to allow such broadcasters either given nobody is forced to tune in to them.

if you honestly expect a religious station of which the religious teachings they follow would be against a subject, to provide balance in relation to that subject, then i am afraid that your expectations are unrealistic, given that unlike the rest of the radio, there would be no actual point in doing it given there would be no minds to be changed meaning they would be doing it for the sake of doing it and wasting their and their listeners time providing something they don't wish to listen to.

just don't tune in to such broadcasters, i don't and never would and they don't effect my life in any way, just like the rest of commercial radio in this country to be honest.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

Never found it too overbearing, definitely not catholic, there used to be a guy on in the early hours chuck something or other, used to listen to it in the car, quite relaxing, generally upbeat and positive station, sometimes a bit too much, Im sure I heard a reasonable almost rap like music on there, after a while I copped that it wasn't mainstream, so me sometimes, and Im not religious.

EOTR, they are propaganda stations, we don't allow it in any other area of life but as usual, religion gets a free pass - why?

Should we have a KKK radio station, after all people are free to not listen to it? A frankly stupid argument. Either we have standards, or we do not, and if we do have standards then they must be applied equally to all.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

no hot black, its not a stupid argument but simple fact.

they are religious broadcasters, propaganda stations or not, they target a market that subscribes to a legitimate set of beliefs that people are entitled to subscribe to in ireland and most countries, and that, i am afraid means the right to access to the airwaves as much as any other legitimate belief system, of which the KKK isn't just like isis and other extremist groups meaning your comparison to the KKK fails.

we certainly have standards, but quite rightly that doesn't extend to preventing access to the airwaves to groups and people simply on the basis that we disagree with their views, their views have to be of a certain threshold before such a process by where they can not be given a platform can happen.

you are going to have to learn to live with the fact religious people and their beliefs exist, i don't like religion either, but while it's thankfully declining it is not going to be fully gone in our lifetimes, so you are just going to have to get over it.

There is already religious broadcasting on RTE, BBC etc. and nobody is proposing to get rid of it.

What I'm talking about in particular is stations promoting a political viewpoint during a referendum campaign, this is not allowed but the religious stations are either exempt from the rules every other broadcaster has to obey, or were just let away with it - either is wrong.

You're really not getting the point at all. Broadcast stations (in our part of the world) are not supposed to be for promoting the viewpoint of a particular group or media owner. But religions are an exception to this rule, and no justification for this exception has been put forward by you, the BAI or anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I always like things to have an air of officiality, therefore can't see the appeal of evangelical Christianity. Not that I believe in god anyway but as ceremony providers the Catholic church put on a reasonable show.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So if broadcast stations have to be impartial- all published books, magazines etc should have to do the same, surely?

No. Broadcasting has always been regulated. But it seems that some get a free pass because they're religious. I think the point is being wilfully ignored at this stage...

It appears they are brainwashing evangelical Christians with evangelical music. (Hands up, I don't actually recall any discussion format on it when I did tune in, just the christian music)

Also, I think country and western stations should not be permitted licenses top operate on the FM frequency because Big Tom and Daniel O Donnell are gateway drugs to political parties like Fianna Fail and Fine Gael. Before you know it farmers will be running the country and there won't be a child washed for school because they'll all have to stay at home and look after the sheep.

I had to come back and edit that because I felt bad calling it evil music, it's just music and some of it can be incredibly uplifting and enjoyable. It's obviously working.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

i get the point, it's just a non-issue and i don't care, i don't need to justify it it's that much of an irrelevance.

religious broadcasters are never going to have balanced discussion on topics that are against the teaching of those religions, and the listeners to those broadcasters don't want it anyway, so therefore there is no point in forcing something on a station and an audience that have no interest as it's wasting air time and everyone's time from those involved to the listener.

all other stations have a cross section of listeners, so it makes sense to require them to have balanced debates, to insure that cross section is represented and are able to get air time, granted the current affairs stuff should be dropped as a requirement from commercial stations anyway.

what you are looking for is unrealistic given the broadcaster and the audience involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Much better to have teachers running the country.

I'm Christian. I don't listen to Spirit, no one is forcing me to. Hotblack has an obvious abhorrence to anything that doesn't support his atheist beliefs. So his, dislike of the station isn't a surprise.

Listening to him going on about his hatred of religion is no different to listening to the pope saying his is the one true church and I'm a heretic.

I just can't get people who have such a hatred of something spending so much time discussing it. Surely they have better things to do with their lives.

I think atheists are wrong in their belief. I don't spend endless hours discussing those beliefs and telling everyone about it. I've more important things to be doing with my life.

I think it's just a very catholic response to a very Christian issue. As someone raised Irish catholic I can empathise with the instinct to reject the oppressive nature that was of the power of the catholic church and it's influence on Irish politics since the inception of the state (not to mention the centuries of division the island has endured as a direct consequence of religious wars). But I also have learned to value the more important qualities that personal beliefs can bring to people individually. An educated understanding definitely helps making decisions easier.

(I just have a tendency to be very sarcastic in response to obvious and glaring issues that might otherwise shut communication down)

Advertisement