Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing a laptop

Options
  • 15-10-2021 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi all,

bit of an odd question- I’ve bought a laptop for my son for Xmas and I wanted to get it early just in case of shortages closer to the time;

anyway now that I have the laptop I’m wondering is it ok to leave it stored away for the next few weeks?

I’m just wondering if the battery will be ok if it’s not being used for a while ?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

I'd imagine it's been sitting in storage for a lot longer before you got it. Shouldn't think there would be any issue with it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

In the before-times laptops often spent months in the supply chain. 9 weeks should be fine. Just don't put it anywhere damp, unusually cold or unusually warm. (no shed/attic basically)

If it has a removable battery (rarer these days), take it out and store alongside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yenr

Relating to this question, I'm using my laptop rare like once a month nowadays. Whenever I do power on it, It's working slow. It is happening because it's used rarely. It's 5 years old HP laptop so I'm confused. I have had totally benefit from it in the past when it was new I obtained working daily basis on it 😄

sounds like you have a laptop with an old spinning HDD drive in it

these get slower with time and also when you are running windows infrequently a full malware (and other tasks like updates etc) scan will be running when windows loads up slowing things down even further

if you are using the laptop frequently these scans and other windows tasks don't have as much effect as they run over time

upgrade it to a cheap sata 2.5 inch ssd (from less than 20 euro depending on size but go for min 240gb imo) and it will boot up to windows in 20 seconds at most

just clips in and recommend just installing windows fresh (create usb install key and make sure boot from usb allowed in bios - google this if needed)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-120-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B06XBTYTN7/ref=psdc_430505031_t3_B08BCPJKY8?th=1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,807 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Advertisement
Advertisement