Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pelletstown train station - How do you make a noise complaint?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

There it was again, tonight they decided to blow the horn both on approach and exit of the station usually it's just the once. When a rule cannot be referenced and cited and can change based on the whim of the driver then it's basically not a rule.

Now I know some people think thats just city living but it's still no reason to accept it. I brought up the 80s just to demonstrate how thing can change. The relationship with Irish rail was so bad in north inner city Dublin that at one point they paid out 3 thousand pounds to ever household along the Fairview to Connolly stretch of the line as compensation for distruption.

I like the train station, we bought here before it had real approval but where happy it did. I like the increased access to ashington and phoenix park as well. However it doesn't mean we just accept to initial set up. When they removed the kissing gates on the canal we had increased issues with scramblers and scooters, a few complaints and blocks where put down that allow bikes to pass but not scramblers, a compromise where everyone was happy.

Honestly I'd see this as being a major issue for Irish rail, the days of semi state companies running rough shot over communities is long over.

It's interesting you never found and issue at Ashtown. Perhaps trains are traveling slower through the station due to the level crossing? There is quiet a lot of mature planting around the station which might mitigate noise.

Tbh acustics are a bit of a problem around the new development, especially on bridge avenue where sound just echoes up and down.

As someone else pointed out though, most building work hasn't been happening at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well unless your dad was an Irish rail employee then it sounds like he trespassed on a railway line and interfered with loco which is a just not on. Poster you live next to an active railway line, so I’m not sure what you expected. I live not far from Kent station in cork and I hear the class 201 blowing their horns several times on a Saturday and Sunday. By your logic I should put in a complaint to cork city council. And yes as has been pointed out to you trains are required to sound the horn at points along the line which do include stations.

Of course there was no horn blowing before the staton opened because a driver isn’t required to on a stretch to track with no station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there were no such days in the first place to end.

the 3000 pounds you refer to that was paid to households was done so because of works that were going on with the line and not due to day to day running.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

From Google maps there are no houses that close to the line. You contend that someone standing at the end of the platform wouldn't hear the horn, yet there are no houses within a platform length of the station. The houses that are nearby are to the right and left of the direction of travel so the horn wouldn't be pointing at them either.

To be honest, I think you're being overly sensitive. I live a similar distance away from another station, and tbh the fluttering of the curtains is louder than the horns with the window open.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

I would love to hear a recording of the sound from the inside of your house or better still watch a decibel meter as it happens.

I think it's possible this matter has just kinda gotten to you a bit and you're making a bigger deal out of it than it has to be. People get used to noise and we are all living in a Dublin City that is getting bigger and bolder as time progresses, some things can't be helped. The best reference point would probably be to compare the decibel level of your item with the criteria in Dublin Airports noise exclusion zones, that will give some context as to the decibel levels that warrant action by the authorities

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Why would the trains need to sound their horn at a unmanned station if no passengers services are scheduled late at night. No one is standing around a platform at 12.30am waiting for the morning train. I assume the station is locked at night.

By your logic it's perfectly acceptable to leave a train idling in a residential area pumping out Diesel fumes into the homes of people as they sleep, as their children sleep. Tbh it's not worth arguing about this, Irish Rail had been taken to the high court on exactly this point and settled (source Irish times) they wouldn't get away with it today.

If something is disrupting your quality or life, why wouldn't you complain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

People are missing the point somewhat.

If the OP lives beside the train line, then he/ she must be well used to the normal everyday sounds of the train. That's not the issue.

Per the first post, planning permission was granted on the basis of no increase in noise. If IE knew that every train passing through would have to sound its horn, that should have been made clear in the application. The noise assessment is a classic exercise in setting out to get the answer you want and nothing else.

A train sounding its horn after midnight is a definite increase in noise.

Like, the OP may have to suck it up but that doesn't mean it isn't a valid complaint.

I did get a laugh out of the guy who went on to Google Maps and decided there aren't any houses beside the line. Peak social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm confused on what level someone with this much legacy animosity towards rail services would make a conscious decision to rent or purchase a home this close to a physical railway line. And one of the busier ones in the country.

It is really a bizarre but equally interesting emotional study in self torture. There's a dissertation in it...

I don't understand what the length of the platform has to do with anything, are the horns meant to be set at a level to only reach a platform length? Is this e part of the regulations?

Again, the issue isn't the railway line, it's the newly built station which obviously wasn't there when the OP moved in.

Well trains are great, better for the environment than driving and are a great amenity. I've commuted on trains to work daily up until COVID. Just because I use something doesn't mean I cannot be critical of its failing and I'm merely bringing up past experiences as to highlight Irish Rails history of contempt towards communities.

The number one category of submission for planning permission of this train station related to noise concerns followed by anti social concerns. Irish Rail made a number of undertakings including that the noise increase would not be audible at the distance to my home. This is how they secured planning permission and it's turned out to be untrue. When you look at the survey they did it's a complete fudge. The paddy wackerie of "ah sure it's grand" isn't helpful. There are obviously steps Irish Rail can take to ensure both safety and reduce to noise impact of surrounding citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have you ever heard the concept of personal crusade.

It could be argued that you are more interested in being the captain of your own personal crusade than getting on with life.

I think it's fairly evident and you probably are fully aware you aren't going to stop trains idling or doing safety warnings. So what's the point of all of this ?

Why not up sticks and just live happily. Many individuals prefer the torture though...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yes but the planning permission has been there since 2014 and updated in 2018

It was applied for in 2013 or so and came up plenty times in preceding years.

The houses were still being built

As mentioned previously, I believe there is likely some compromise here. The PP made reference (without details) to noise mitigation steps that could be taken but where not and other posters have made suggestions as well.

Regardless of what you believe, this has to be a major issue for folks living around the area as well. I'd say it won't be too hard to get the management company on side as well.

I'm not sure I'd agree with the attitude of "if it's broke, don't bother fixing it" just live with it.

Different stages of planning permission and government approval where granted. We bought in 2015 and the developer was not legally allowed to included the station on promotional material as the station was unfunded at the time and the PP granted wasn't final.

If you look at the 2018 PP you'll see adjustment to it specifically for addressing noise and anti social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Trains don't have to sound their horns on approach to stations but it's good practice.

If someone jumps out Infront of a train and a driver hasnt sounded the horn, have his headlights illuminated or is over the track side speed limit, the driver could be in serious bother when it comes to the investigation.

I know the stations out of Hueston, park west, Adamstown, Hazelhatch etcall have an audible warning system stating "stand back, train approaching" it still doesn't stop the drivers giving a blast of the horn, again, best practice.

Having stayed in the Aspect close to Parkwest station, no matter what time of day the early or late commuters to Hazelhatch/Portlaoise or the intercitys, they all sound the horn and there's houses on the other side, think it's Cherry Orchard, that back gardens are right over the tracks.

There's also things called whistle boards around the area, these are boards that you simply have to sound the horn at regardless of time in they are all over the network.

• Advertisement

Says it all really, plating acting as a natural sound barrier removed, no sound wall put in place as issue never raised before. Response from Irish rail in the article shows contempt for the locals.

OP, does this horn wake you at nighttime? Or your neighbours?

Yes and yes. Hence the thread. I'm actually going to get secondary glazing fitted and the chap that came out indicated he'd received several inquiries from my neighbours since the train opened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Contact Joe on 1850 715 815

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Fair enough, didn't realise the OP was in the new houses.

However, there were lots of objections raised at the time about noise while the planning application says there would be no noise impact.

It would therefore seem that the application contained incomplete and erroneous information so the OP has a valid complaint.

my logic ? And i don’t believe I addressed the idling trains in my posts actually so I’m not sure why you’re bringing it up as something I said. In the past they did because as has been pointing out to you by multiple posters there was a reason for leaving them running and beyond that reason, the duties they could be called on to do were a lot more numerous than today so I’m sure that played a part.

And you decided to live beside a railway line and I assume in the full knowledge that there would be a new railway station built. Just like people who live near airports there is certain things that you have to deal with.

And while you seem to be out for Irish rail as if they and they alone are doing it, the sounding of horns by trains through stations and at certain points on the line is a near universal things around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You said that you wouldn't hear the horn at the other end of the platform.🤷

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Have you read the environmental survey in detail? I'm not familiar with Irish noise laws but in other countries it's usually more complicated than just some average value over the course of the year, does it say anything about "Supplementary noise indicators".

You have my sympathy anyway OP, a 75dB (indoor) blast every night at 00:30 is not on.

As to what they can do, well noise barriers or 'Lärmschutzwande' are very common in Germany.

• Advertisement

The implication being that just because they had there reasons it was an acceptable thing to do. It wasn't, this has all long been settled through the court system. A poster trying to defend an abhorrent historical practice by Irish Rail shows dogged belligerent. I bet you feel the people who wrote into the Irish times about being abandoned by Irish Rail staff to anti social abuse on trains should just put up or drive if they don't like it.

As I've mentioned several times at this stage, the planning permission indicated no appreciable increase in noise level. They have failed to live up their agreement. You can wag your finger all you want that we knew a train station would be built, but this is hardly an immutable aspect of operating a train station, sure it's not even a CRR guideline, it's just something a company is deciding to do. I've lived here for six years with no issue with the operating of of the train service, and used the service frequently. I'd appreciate it if you and others didn't make me out to be a marble clutching loon howling at the moon. If it was a private company fudging PP conditions we wouldn't even be debating this.

Advertisement