Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The country is going well or disastrously depending on how you look at it

Options
  • 15-10-2021 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭

We have full employment almost, certainly no need for forced emigration, so things should be looking up.

But at the same time labour shortages are forcing the closing of businesses, the housing market is in a woeful state and is causing a real hopelessness. Covid is still a threat and cities are being hollowed out by remote working, with many people not having other social outlets in their lives becoming isolated.

While the strong economy should have people feeling more comfortable than they have for a while, that's not the case at all. Indeed with costs rising and housing still in a mess, I wouldn't be surprised if we have civil unrest quite soon.

I don't really remember a time like this before, when despite a really strong economy people are quite discontent and uncertain. SF will romp to victory in the next election as a result.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

It is very divided. There are a huge amount of I'm alright Jack's. The housing situation has never been worse... minimum wage in dublin is farcical for the cost of living. I'm not saying raising it is without issues either though...

If you have a house, you're grand. If you don't and you actually work for a living...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

How important the economy is depends on how it's used. Watching things get worse and pointing to the economy doing well is pointless.

The rich are getting richer and the rest of us plebs are getting shafted..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

So , no matter what happens SF will romp to victory?

And that concludes today's party political broadcast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There are more and more reports coming in regarding serious delays when people call 999 needing an ambulance. Lack of resources, crews deployed way outside of their regions are being cited as reasons. If we can't get that right (and added to the sh*tshow that is the rest of the health service) we're fcuked. A "grand" country to live in if you work for a tech multinational or are a builder/tradesman that has never been busier. Just don't get sick - and when doing your spending budget up for the year, private health insurance needs to be up there with food in terms of priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

My favourite is the average worker has to get up early of a morning and pay his way while many politicians shrug off fraud with expenses and any stroke that isn't illegal as, 'Lessons to be learned'.

When Sinn Fein get to power expect and end to their senior members having holiday homes in Donegal and Galway. They will be having holiday homes in Marbella, Tuscany etc to match their change in status

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Northernlily

We got certainty that wfh is here to stay. On that note, I'll be leaving Dublin and probably Ireland for a temporary period of 1/2 years.

Getting the deposit together for a mortgage as sole buyer renting in Dublin is proving next to impossible.

Will I feel guilty about working from another country and lowering my living expenses from a tax perspective?? Will I ****!! They get enough off me and I get sweet all back in return for it whilst I see my tax money squandered all around me.

So I'll happily take a 500 p/m 1 bed in Italy or Spain and quickly get the rest of my deposit together. There might be some creative accounting but the Developer/Investor centric Govt policies have me so pissed at this point I really don't give a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

Not true. With the ability of creating companies now and selling for millions the chance to create a stripe etc has never been easier.

Of course it takes hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭landofthetree

SF are promising Utopia.

Going to be quite a shock for those who voted for them when its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Ah yeah the 80s was much better than now.

Obviously no one had to try work and own a house here in the 80s.

If I had the equivalent of my job in the 80s I would probably own a few houses.

I can't even afford one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Because data for salaries and average house prices over time is freely available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Software companies can be created in any part of the world and put into the market, you just need a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭malinheader

Housing is a complete mess but nothing to the mess the health care services are going to be especially when the winter comes in right.

Be more fatalities than covid when all the delayed operations, delayed diagnosis are discovered. And not to mention trying to get an appointment for a GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Developed economies are a relatively new phenomenon and the pace of change is frightening. Its a different world out there now and there are so many options now. Big tech, big finance, big pharma, big engineering jobs all available now that weren't in the past.

Unfortunately it has lead to a very inequitable society as regards wealth and those not in these jobs will struggle to keep pace and get much smaller piece of the pie. Of course the big players need support staff to work retail, wait tables, clean offices etc and this must be a tough place to be. Luckily I have a house and am settled and happy, but at the moment for a 400k 3 bed semi D house in Dublin, which is about as low as it gets for new builds, you need 40k deposit and a combined income of 100k to get a mortgage. Thats 2 jobs paying 25 euro per hour for those that get paid an hourly rate. I don't see many hourly paid jobs being advertised at that rate. So you're talking salaried positions really.

And yet, demand still wildly outstrips supply. Not to mention big funds buying up en masse, which I believe has been stopped.

Our headline figures probably look good, but I've no doubt that there are more people struggling now than any time since 80s. I also believe some people in the big jobs are miserable too, might look like they have it all, nice house, nice car but these jobs are not a walk in the park and causing stress and health issues. Mine isn't too bad, I work for my family run company but it does have its stressor points too.

Ireland Inc is chasing multinational foreign investment but has forgotten the foundations, where will we house these staff? Immigration is both a gift and a curse at the moment, real double edged sword.

However, I've started looking at problems other economies are having and while we are shamed in some areas, almost all developed cities have same problems we do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

One of the dumbest things I've read on boards. It's like saying you've two legs so you've no excuse for not being a premiership footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Considering that we've had a Fianna Fail led government for a year and a half now, we should be grateful that the country hasn't actually been bankrupted yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

The amount of "staff wanted" signs ive seen in shops and fast food places is very high

I wonder what the amazing Turas Nua are doing to get these positions filled?

Basically we are overall at a stage in society that to sustain our way of living there is more work to be done than people to do it. Yes, so much is “automated” but to maintain the increasingly sophisticated and complex automation and data processing requires as much human input and supervision as the pen & paper processes of yesteryear. We are used to a speed of living like never before and become impatient of anything less than expedition. Our standard of living and ambition is starting to exceed our overall ability to provide for it. It’s happening globally, not just in Ireland, as much poorer countries deservedly try to catch up and continuously try to strive ahead.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

The public narrative seems to be that we are going well, I'm lucky I'm in a well paid job in a booming industry, however I see many who aren't and who are barely hanging on.

Ireland has huge issues, including massive debt, let's see how it plays out over the next decade, I expect badly. SF probably will gain power at some stage unfortunately but that's the fault of the existing powers and their policies. SF will destroy this country culturally and economically imo.

Have a pleasant Sunday 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

the reality is, we re not actually doing well at all, even those that are relatively comfortable in life are a part of this not doing well. we re clearly experiencing a significant decline in overall wellness, this is very evident socially, politically, economically and environmentally, the methods we use to gage our wellness, gdp, employment rates etc etc, are virtually meaningless at this stage, people are clearly p1ssed off, and understandably so, as a growing number of people simply are unable to gain access to their most critical of needs, most evident in property and health care needs etc. something is catastrophically failing, and has been for a very long time, we have just been codding ourselves, with the use of our statistics etc, that everything is fine, when it clearly hasnt been, expect 'something' to occur soon!

I’m getting daily emails from a friend in USA telling me how bad things are there for so many, and especially of the logistics calamity that is seeing empty shelves everywhere. The past couple of years is having a cruel effect globally on many levels and we ain’t seen nothing yet as the pandemic rages on. We are not really alright, Jack, but there is hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭malinheader

The plan could be to destroy the country culturally and economically before SF take over.

Looking to be on track at the minute.

Advertisement