Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colleagues' Girlfriend Refused Entry at Airport

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

LOL, you think immigration is a) taking urine tests and b) going to do a pregnancy test? Are you for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

If they did a urine test why not test it for pregnancy, in terms of border control I'd see it as reasonable.

If you think that's reasonable, then i'm glad you're only in charge of a keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is Irish law different to other countries on this? From watching too many of the Customs/immigration shows on TV getting denied entry is as bad as being deported in most other countries. What they do if they think you made a mistake is let you withdraw you application to enter the country then you've no issues, if the refuse or deport you then you have issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Different countries have different procedures, obviously, and often the administrative/practical differences are as significant, or more significant, than the legal differences. But it's generally true that:

• being deported from a country has the most serious and most long-lasting consequences for you, after which
    • being denied a visa can cause you long-term problems (depending on the circumstances and the reason for denial), while
    • being denied entry has the fewest consequences, and may not even result in any kind of record being created.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭dennyk

Immigration officials generally have absolute discretion whether to allow any visitor into the country, so there's probably not much to be done from a legal standpoint. "Visiting a significant other" can certainly be a red flag for immigration, as well, as it increases the likelihood that the visitor in question will overstay, especially if they can't provide sufficient evidence of significant ties to their home country that would compel them to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

As far as I'm aware, Ireland fairly recently entered an information-sharing arrangement with the Schengen immigration bloc. So if she had an overstay in the Schengen area it would now likely be alerted to the Irish immigration service on scanning of the passport (previously they wouldn't have a clue).

I've been given the third degree by immigration in a couple of countries before. Japan because I was entering after a long backpacking stint and looked like a hobo, and the US were just being the US. It's not pleasant but countries have the right to screen who is entering their country and need to be satisfied that the individual isn't up to no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I remember seeing a movie years ago where this was part of the plot. US Customs suspected a Columbian woman was likely a drug mule. Prior to X-raying her they did a pregnancy test (as they can't X-ray pregnant women). No idea if this is standard procedure here or even in the USA but it's probably not the insane scenario that you're making it out to be.

You do understand that movies aren't real life, right?

• Advertisement

I've been given the third degree by immigration in a couple of countries before. Japan because I was entering after a long backpacking stint and looked like a hobo, and the US were just being the US. It's not pleasant but countries have the right to screen who is entering their country and need to be satisfied that the individual isn't up to no good.

I went to visit the US on business. Going with me was my Macedonian colleague. Going through immigration in the US, they saw the irish Passport, asked a couple of questions and sent me on my way. My colleague, same age as me, with the same company for the same length of time as me, we both had the same documentation, including invitation letters, hotel reservations for both. return flights, and letter from our boss to say we were expected in work in the EU when our trip was over. I got a cursory once over by immigration, he got interviewed by immigration for 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

You do understand that movies are often based on true events. Maybe you're only watching Marvel ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I don't know why you are being so rude; I don't know about Ireland, but in other countries, if they body scan you and have reason to suspect that you are smuggling cocaine internally, they stand around you while you you sh1t it out - asking someone to pee on a stick does not seem far-fetched at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

they don't stand around while you **** it out. they take to you a special toilet where they can inspect what comes out. there is no reason for them to do a pregnancy test.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,265 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I remember reading a story about some fella who was taken to one of those special cells and managed to stay there for something like 50 days without "expelling the goods"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

called out by a female officer that told her how lacking of respect she was of European law.

really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭beachhead

It's the law not semantics.You are not officially on Irish soil until Immigration stamp your passport or entry papers.That means you have satisfied the official representative of the Irish state that you are a bona fide traveller wishing to enter the Republic of Ireland for a legitimate reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Bit weird, usually you submit all the documents in the home country and the visa office grants you the visa, immigration jusr check the return ticket and insurance, they very rarely refuse unless they see something very suspicious

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

She should have eaten her passport and claimed asylum. Would be here for years no problem, could work after a few months, get an own door house/apartment, free medical, the works. Sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Argentina is a non visa required country. This means that Argentinian citizens do not need a visa to travel to Ireland.

Permission to enter the State is granted or refused by an Immigration Control Officer at the port of entry. At Dublin airport this person is from the Border Management Unit (BMU).

They can, and do, refuse people permission to enter. Even visa required nationals who have applied for, and been granted, a visa can be refused entry.

I have worked with a number of people from the BMU and they are throughly courteous and professional. Shouting at someone that crossed some red line - I seriously doubt it.

Searching for drugs - BMU would have no interest/authority .

BMU can and do examine phones, laptops etc. They often find information which contradicts the story which the passenger gives.

The passenger is given a letter explaining why they were refused.

At the end of the day she has no “right” to enter the State and there’s no right to appeal. She can try again but there is no way to guarantee entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

What grounds would the Irish immigration officer have for demanding a urine sample?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

It's semantics in that a large proportion of people reading this thread wouldn't know the difference or even question the wording of the post you pulled on, you have nothing to add to the discussion apart from the way the poster is saying essentially the same thing as you are, the end result is the same in that she's back in Argentina and no-one would be any the wiser as to whether she was deported or refused entry, alas I'm dragging the thread off topic as are you and no need for it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,265 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's not off-topic at all. The title of this thread says the woman in question was refused entry; Phileas_Frog talked about the consequences of deportation and appeared to be unaware that deportation and refusal of entry are different things with different consequences; Silver2020 pointed out the distinction; Phileas_Fogg said it was "semantics"; I came in at that point to say that it was not a semantic distinction and to point out why the difference may be quite important.

You are now weighing in to apparently to say that the difference is semantic "because a large proportion of people reading this thread wouldn't know the difference or even question the wording of the post you pulled on". In the first place, that is not what "semantic" means. In the second place, it was not me who pulled on the post; it was Silver2020. In the third place, surely one of the values of discussion boards like this is that people might learn things they didn't previously know?

And, in a thread about a woman being refused entry to Ireland, discussing the conesquences for the woman of having been refused entry to Ireland is not "off topic" The OP might like to know what he can do to get his girlfriend into Ireland and, for that purpose, it matters hugely that she was refused entry and not deported.

You may not care about the distinction but that does not make it a semantic distinction; just a distinction that you have no interest in discussing. In which case there is an obvious course of action open to you. What a shame it never occurred to you to take it.

Advertisement