Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair ambush of passengers who used chargebacks during Covid

Options
  • 13-10-2021 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭

Credit card chargebacks are controversial obviously, but I always assumed that the card issuer did some due diligence and gave the vendor some opportunity to give their side of the story.

What's interesting about this case with Ryanair, is how they wait until the passenger is about to board the aircraft (through a subsequent booking) <correction at check-in time not boarding> and then ambush them with the demand to repay the chargeback. At that point you are under duress and stand to lose a lot of money if you can't travel, as opposed to when you are just booking the flight and might simply choose another airline.

It doesn't feel right that that kind of behaviour would be legal. Companies and individuals will regularly do business with each other while they might be in dispute over something else. That's why we have the courts for example. What if other companies did similar things after they felt their T&Cs had been broken in some way? There was such a case in Germany where Lufthansa sued a passenger, but they lost the case, and didn't get to unilaterally impose their will like Ryanair is here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/ryanair-bars-passengers-from-flying-unless-they-repay-pandemic-chargebacks-1.4698690

Post edited by plodder on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well not quite when they are about to board but rather when they are checking in which in most cases now they would be a day or 2 in advance while they are still at home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

They booked non refundable tickets.

And once the flight has happened, a refund is not due.

if you don’t take a flight you are entitled to a refund of the airport fees/landing charges/taxes

buts it’s impossible, tried it before and gave up

Anyway how do they know it’s same person?

is it down to email/ account you have with them?

can you just set up a new account?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Or is it cc/dc details they are using to identify people by?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭plodder

T&Cs (like tickets not being refundable) aren't always lawful. Like the Lufthansa condition that said if you book a multi-sector flight you must use all of the sectors (otherwise you could be abusing the condition to get a cheaper point to point flight). That condition was found to be unlawful basically in the German courts.

I see the ambush happened at checkin time rather than at the airport. My mistake on that. The point is still the same though. They have your money from the new flight and whatever leverage that it being only a day or two to traveling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf, the only reason the flight happened is cos Ryanair didn't want to give refunds. There was no one on the flights in a fair few cases

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

As Pat Kenny just guessed there they probably put a 'stop' on the passport. Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Unsuprising scumbag move from a scumbag company.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,931 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Read about this earlier, no Doubt Joe Duffy will be on later going off on another poorly researched Rant (he's been caught out , quite a lot lately)

So, yes, it's appalling, Disgraceful, Typical theatrics from Ryanair but.......

MOL is sitting in his office this morning with a dirty big smirk on his face not giving a complete toss and why? Because Ryanair are entirely correct or so according to the T&C's customers affected accepted on booking non refundable seats. I'm not saying its right or wrong but Ryanair are simply enforcing their T&C's and there's Nada, Zilch anyone can do about it.

Personally I've never, ever, ever flown with this shower but do get a giggle out of MOL absolute intolerance at times.

I'm just hoping MOL gets invited onto da liveline later, that would truely be Radio Gold, last time he appeared he B****H Slapped Joe Duffy for an entire 45 minutes, clip available on you tube.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

There could be a GDPR angle with that, as the reason why they collect passport numbers is for a completely different purpose.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ryanair should have had ground to dispute the chargeback - if they didn't they really can't complain/act now.

Doubtful ( I'm not an expert) but affected passengers willingly submitted their details including, presumably passport's, can't see this move by Ryanair being a GDPR issue, besides as part of a charge back application, passengers would have disclosed additional information willingly, just a guess mind you 😉

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Willingly submitting your details for one purpose does not allow them to be used for any other purpose without specific consent for that purpose.

But we don't know that's how they're identifying people.

Just my own opinion so to speak , I'm guessing by the mere fact affected passenger's submitted their details and further lodged complaints they fully engaged with Ryanair and indeed an entirely separate financial institution a GDPR challenge would be very difficult. I'd certainly think MOL and Ryanairs legal department have ticked quite a few boxes before going down this path.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but MOL has proven quite resilient in defending Ryanairs actions in the past, however unsavoury they may seem.

Right. Except that their excuse for ambushing at checkin time could be that they only know who they are dealing with when the passport number is provided. That was always going to be a dubious excuse given credit card numbers are probably a better (and more GDPR compliant) way of identifying people in this situation. But, then they couldn't avoid the ambush charge.

It's possible they run some kind of report on a day's bookings, after the fact, to find these cases, but you'd expect them to contact the customer within a day or two after booking by email then. It still looks like a deliberate ambush.

You could be right but I just wonder can this be really described as a deliberate ambush. I ask in the sense, its likely these charge backs took place months ago, passengers affected thought, that's grand, only to discover that now they can fly again, I'll book a new flight and discovered Ryanair enforcing T&C's from previous booking. I guess separately Ryanair should have communicated to all passengers affected months ago, this little nugget will crop up on their next booking . In essence, Ryanair saying, pay up or book elsewhere, which they are technically entitled to do, unsavoury as it May seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭KildareP

Mightn't be the most customer friendly way of doing it, but their Privacy Policy and Conditions of Carriage will have them covered.

Quite a number of companies will refuse further custom from you if you do a chargeback where they still provided the product or service (even if you argue you couldn't avail of it) and will just cite "fraud prevention" if you ask them why.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Fatnacho

The payment processors don’t have enough resources to check if every chargeback claim by a buyer/passenger is valid. Additionally, Ryanair wouldn’t have had time to respond to the thousands of chargeback claims they received every day.

Therefore, most of the chargebacks were accepted and refunded without much of a review, even if the flight operated as scheduled. It’s also in the credit card companies interest to keep their customers happy by providing a hassle free refund.

Ryanair have obviously spent some time reviewing the chargeback refunds and realised some passengers received refunds for flights that operated. Now they are trying to retroactively to get those funds back by claiming the service was provided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

True - sometimes very unusual and unfair terms and conditions can be considered unenforceable, but a fairly standard condition that a flight is not refundable if it proceeds is neither unfair or unusual.

Bit of a bummer that there were state imposed restrictions that made it difficult to take the flight, but an airline can't be blamed for that. A basic level of travel insurance (if taken out pre-covid) would most likely have covered it

The second paragraph is reasonable enough (which is why you don't tend to hear about it in the media). You write it off and don't deal with the person again, or else you pursue the debt through the normal way. In this case, they agreed to carry the passenger, but then said a couple of days before travel - we're not carrying you until this other matter is resolved. And the matter is a charge back, not something like a court judgment in favour of Ryanair, which the passenger couldn't claim they didn't have to repay.

For it not to be an ambush, what could Ryanair have done differently?

1) contacted the customer straight after the charge-back and said we aren't carrying you again until you repay us

2) refused the subsequent booking for the same reason at the time of booking

3) If there are technical problems doing 2) then they could have contacted the passenger and cancelled the booking soon after, or at least presented the ultimatum at that point.

Even if the ambush wasn't deliberate and the charge backs weren't noticed until much later, that's a problem with their systems. They shouldn't be just dumping on the customer at the last minute in any event.

yes i heard him, but disagree

the first flight was never "checked in" so they didn't have the passport details to begin with

the lady he interviewed didn't pick up on that but she did raise the question and made my point that it could have been the ryanair account or credit card.

i don't really see that it is that going to be hard to get around.

i mean i have often booked flights for other people and all you give is names at the time of booking.

so in a family situation, just get the other half to book next time around.

Personally, I don't agree with credit card charge backs. I've had several disputes with retailers (and even Ryanair themselves once) and they were all resolved in other ways. What we have here is Ryanair essentially using the same kind of tactic against their customer. They had an outstanding debt, but decided to hold a gun to the passenger's head, and get the money back that way. There's an asymmetric relationship between customer and Ryanair here. They often don't take complaints seriously, but are able to bully the customer in situations like this, which is why we need strong consumer protection laws that take priority over airline T&Cs imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭KildareP

I think chargebacks are important, I did need to use it once where an online retailer had a habit of not delivering orders and then refusing to engage with customers. But I'd agree, you should exhaust all other avenues first and, in the case where you're not entitled to a refund, a chargeback is not the right way forward.

Ryanair have a bit of a track record when it comes to being customer friendly (or not!) so I'm not surprised this is how they're approaching the issue.

Personally, I'd use Ryanair only as an absolute last resort, but of course Michael O'Leary would point out that they're the number one air carrier in Europe so what does my opinion matter 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭bikeman1

It is important to note that there was only a travel advisory in place at the time to leave Ireland in September 2020. I travelled to non "green list" countries in August and September 2020. While you were asked / advised to not travel by our NPHT crew, it was not illegal to travel at that time. In fact I had return flights booked before the pandemic with Ryanair and they operated them. I returned from Germany and there was only about 30 of us on the flight.

We unduly cancelled summer / early autumn 2020 abroad for little to no reason, unlike our neighbours.

When it comes to money and a tough business like Ryanair, the rules and conditions are what matters. They provided the service, it was not illegal to travel, you book a cheap non-refundable. You incorrectly got a refund from your CC company, then you don't get to fly with them again until your debt is settled.

My guess is that on check in, that was when they could verify it was you. Name, DOB and passport details matched up to the banned list.

It also sends out a very strong message about chargebacks with Ryanair. Do them at your peril. It's an open market, so you can choose to fly with someone else, but those options are limited, especially with the downward spiral at Aer Lingus.

but as i say, the first flight was never checked in, so how can they match details up?

has to be either by the ryanair account, email address or cc/dc details

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

In that case shouldn't they refuse custom when a booking is being made - passenger details (including passport) need to be entered for every ticket being booked.

Accepting the booking, taking payment and only refusing a customer when it comes to check-in is underhanded if not extortion.

The issue also arises whether it is the original passenger or original customer, or both (they might not always be one and the same) that are blocked at check-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Interesting. I got a chargeback at the start of all this and I've recently been to Dublin and back via Ryanair. Not a word said.

My March 2020 flights were indeed cancelled but I wasn't willing to take the voucher "offer".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It's a breach of PCI regulations for card details to be retained without most of the number being hashed out. The only way you can use "remember card" technology is really via encrypted tokenisation which requires additional customer consent at the time of taking.

Even if that is being done - customers can still have different cards to use, cards may have expired/lost and been replaced with new ones.

Either way - I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for anyone who submitted a false chargeback claim, and then thinking they'd gotten away with it were stupid enough to try and use the same service provider again expecting there to be no consequence.

If it were a case where Ryanair had cancelled the flights then I'd have sympathy - but in cases when the flights operated as scheduled, AND where the passenger could have availed of the voucher offer (which would have paid for the new flight that's causing the problem now), then the passengers can only blame themselves

Advertisement