Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggested fraudulent activity

Options
  • 12-10-2021 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭

A online payment processing company is claiming that my phone number is linked to fraudulent activity. I am certain that this isn't true. Can I force them to reveal more information? I am concerned that their error could have implications in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,240 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Who have they made this claim to? And why? (As in, what do they hope to achieve by making this claim? Are they looking for anyone to take some particular action?)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Scant on details - were you trying to buy something, set up online payment processing...???

Maybe under GDPR you can request any information they hold about you but to say your phone number is a reason for rejection is a bit weird especially in this day and age when scammers are cloning phone numbers every second of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I was using Daopay, who appear to be a very well established bona fide company, to use phone credit as payment for Amazon vouchers.

I have done this three times with no problems but now they are claiming, via email that my phone number is "suspected for fraudulent use".

I don't want a situation where my phone number is on some database & linked to fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Perhaps the person who bought your second hand phone credit made a claim that it was already used?

No. I don't think so. Three Mobile have no problems with me paying by phone credit. I just paid for a Disney+ subscription.

My guess is they changed their policy as a few Boardies, that also used it, said that they were now asked for photo id. But they are using the excuse of possible fraudulent use to justify it. So I think they just lied. But you are bound to be concerned if someone tells you that your phone has "suspicious activity".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well perhaps I don't understand what the company did. I thought from your post that you had some unused phone credit which you exchanged through some marketmaker for some other kind of voucher. So that the marketmaker would then sell on your unused credit. In that scenario, the eventual buyer might have activated the credit and then claimed it didn't work. I may have misunderstood the scenario

Daopay are a big European payments processor. They get you to call a premium rate number & they collect the payment. You can use the payment to buy various items including Amazon vouchers. Quite a few Boardies have used it as a way to get something useful from unused phone credit.

Advertisement