Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€5000 VRT Relief for EVs to remain until end of 2023.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just off the phone to SEAI. they are in talks with the department of finance about the grant. They’ll know what’s it’s being extended to 2022 in a week or two.

They are aware of the semi conductor issue and have asked all Dealers to register their orders for the grant.

she advised I ring my dealer and ensured it’s registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cannco253

From 01 January the PHEV purchase grant of €2,500 will no longer exist, however these vehicles will continue to attract supports including home charger grants and tolls. Please note however that all new applications for Plug in Hybrid Vehicle grants will only be accepted for vehicles delivered, registered, and taxed before the end of December 2021.

• Any PHEV or BEV (above the 60k value threshold) which has an existing grant offer and was due to be delivered in 2021 but has met unforeseen delays due to semi-conductor shortage, may avail of an extension to 31st March 2022.

• This extension will be available to both private motorists and eSPSV (taxi) drivers who have grant offers in the system at the moment.

• Grant applicants should contact the SEAI in relation to private motorist grants, or the NTA for eSPSV grants, to arrange for this extension in relation to vehicles purchased in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

So BEVs stay as they are then for another while. Basic Model 3 SR+ are OK.

PHEVs will receive no grants from 1st January (unless already ordered & with grant approval but delayed delivery).

so grants remain for BEV sub 60k.. if you ordered a car worth more than 60k before July, you''ll get the grant if tis delivered before March 31st

• Continuation of the purchase grant scheme at existing levels for fully electric passenger cars and vans, and the refocusing of exchequer funding on zero tailpipe emission vehicles.

To me it reads that the grant to private cars remains after march..

Correct.

The second point just states BEVs over €60k, ordered & approved for the grant before July 1st this year & all PHEVs, again ordered & grant approved, can be delivered early next year & the grant will still apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cannco253

Anger

Unsurprisingly, the car trade in Ireland has reacted with anger at this sudden removal of the grant. Brian Cooke, director general of the Society of the Irish Motor Industry (Simi) said: “This is a terrible decision, which is anti-consumer and anti-environment, only adding to the cost for the customer making a better environmental decision.

“PHEVs are an important stepping stone to going fully electric, particularly in parts of rural Ireland where this is a lack of charging infrastructure. For the first quarter of next year PHEVs have been ordered well in advance of the Budget.

“The Government’s Climate Action Plan hopes to have 94,000 PHEVs on our roads by 2025 and 290,000 by 2030. The removal of these incentives undermines this plan and runs counter to the aim of reducing emissions. While we accept supports cannot be in place forever, it is way too early to remove this grant. It is particularly unfair to consumers and the Industry who have ordered cars for 2022 in expectation of this support continuing.”

Simi seems especially exercised that the move has come without warning, having not been announced in last week’s Budget, at that it does not include the four-month grace period previously allowed buyers when the rebate was reduced in July of this year, from €5,000 to €2,500.

what have SIMI done about installing more chargers??

Simi seems especially exercised that the move has come without warning, having not been announced in last week’s Budget, at that it does not include the four-month grace period previously allowed buyers when the rebate was reduced in July of this year, from €5,000 to €2,500.

I've no time for the SIMI lobby group, but I have to agree. Removing a grant in mid October for cars delivered on January 1st is unfair.

Ultimately, they'll force end users to accept a 212 reg plate & their PHEV will be devalued by several thousand euros in the years to come, should they wish to upgrade to a BEV. Others, contemplating a BEV but not sure, would opt for something like the Tuscon PHEV. They'll likely stick with a diesel now or not bother at all if the BEV isn't suitable or there's no equivalent BEV available at all, or the equivalent BEV is €10/15k more expensive.

They should have made the announcement now & applied any changes from March 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

The point about Rural Infrastructure is I suppose Fair enough, but doesn't change the fact that Home Charging is avilable to pretty much anyone ono the grid. It is contradictory on the Government's part though.

I think people who were considering a PHEV like the Tucson SUV will find that there's plenty of comparable BEVs in that price range (Ioniq 5, Enyaq, Id.4 etc.) although I know Range Anxiety will still play a part there.

I think the true reality of PHEVs is becoming wider knowledge that if you're not in Electric mode often (Like a lot of rural drivers) then they are actually worse on Petrol than a lot of ICEs.

All in all, the Government could have been a bit more flexible around notice time, and maybe even look at different grants depending on your address (i.e a PHEV is more efficient if you're largely doing Dublin driving).

Great that the BEV Grant is staying in place at its current level. As someone who has a deposit down on an Ioniq 5, I can say I actively did this in fear of the grant disappearing this year, so now that it is staying, I wonder should I hold off and see what EVs are expected in Late 2022, and will they be significantly better Value than the Likes of Ioniq 5, ID.4 etc.

Suppose there's always a reason you could hold off, I reckon the Ioniq is somewhat Future proofed for a good few years so I might not really need to worry at all about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

This part may help my dilemma of being given a 212 plate in January

“Any PHEV or BEV (above the 60k value threshold) which has an existing grant offer and was due to be delivered in 2021 but has met unforeseen delays due to semi-conductor shortage, may avail of an extension to 31st March 2022.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

They did the same with the business grant in 2019. Cut with immediate effect in October, 2 days after my company car was stolen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

It's a sensible move. Better to stop the phev craze which offers a debatable and likely small benefit and encourage Bev adoption which is Europe's goal. They are doing people a favour as phevs will get clobbered as much as normal ice cars re tax and penalties in years to come. No stepping stone is needed because in 2 to 3 years the market will be maturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Casati

Sorry can somebody confirm this is correct? If I buy a car with rrp of say 45000, this should have VRT of €3150 however is all of this refunded?

Are you buying a PHEV or BEV over 60k?

if you are getting a 212 car in the new year then it’s an ex demo. Otherwise why not pick it up before the new year? A new c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

BEV over 60k

Delivery looks to be into December, but why pick up a 212 in Dec? Dealer said in order to get the grant it would have to be registered this year. But grant now extended for delayed BEV’s.

So I’m wondering if the dealer gets the car in December, could they register it in January and we collect it then?

We ordered in the beginning of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

Not sure which thread to post this on but may aswel here.

My dad was looking at the Tuscon Hybrid (not the plug-in one) and needless to say i'm trying to convince him to go fully electric.

Anyway he is telling me 2 dealers mentioned a 5k grant to him. I told him there is no longer any grant as in my head i was certain there wasn't. I have done some online research and i can't see of any incentives for a Hybrid, including VRT relief.

Am i wrong here and is there any sort of incentives still out there on a Hybrid vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Miscreant

There are no longer incentives for hybrid vehicles. They have been gone for a couple of years now AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

i know - id love to know what he was being told by the dealers - has to have been crossed wires. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

5 k grant is for full electrics under 60 k euros - but the EV must be under 60 k without the grant.

However that grant will likely be reduced after July 2023.

Advertisement