Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PS5 controller broke itself?

Options
  • 10-10-2021 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

The R2 button on my PS5 controller has almost no resistance now, I was playing Tales of Arose and there was a scene with lots of vibration and now the slightest tap of the button will trigger it. It seems to be way looser than my L2 trigger. Has this happened to any of ye?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

There a DS issues thread here, probably get some better info from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭eggy81

The spring inside your controller that returns the r2 after you press it has snapped. Very very common. I’ve replaced 2 of mine. Pretty easy if you’re any way confident opening gadgets up. If you have a gen2 PS4 controller the springs are the same. Older PS4 controllers have different springs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

This happened to mine, I returned it to Harvey Norman. They argued that I have to return it to Sony, I made them replace it for me as that's what they are supposed to do.

It is common enough with PS5 controllers but Sony are very good at replacing them in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Exact same thing just happened to mine, how do you return to Sony? I bought it in Argos last December I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

I dunno I tried emailing Sony haven’t had a response yet, the phone line has long queues. Tbh I’d just save the hassle and buy a new one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

First step is bring it back to the store you bought it. They are responsible for replacing it.

Sony didn’t answer any of my emails yet and the phone lines have long wait times, kinda suprised how hard it is to get in touch with them

Because Sony are so slow these days, I would 100% be going back to where you bought it, it will be quicker. I hadn't read it in a while, but this is a great resource and seems a lot more detailed than it used to be:

The only issue I'll say about the really, really good consumer rights we have here in Ireand, is that there are no time limits, so you could end up fighting over that. But, considering faulty DS triggers is well known, there shouldn't be any issues getting a replacement. They can't repair it, so replace or refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

My R2 button broke the last day too I called on Monday midday and the automated thing said the waiting time was 30mins so i gave up on that and called when their lines opened (10:30) yesterday and got straight through to someone

They went through some troubleshooting things which can be done in advance so you don’t have to spend ages on the phone

-reset the controller (pin in the back of the controller)

-update the firmware

-turn haptic feedback off and on again

-reboot the ps5

then they took the controller serial number and they took some of my details and emailed me a prepaid DPD postage label which you can then call DPD and arrange for it to be collected from you

• Advertisement

On that note above, I'd recommend to copy and save the SN of the controller somewhere, mine is fading away with use...

sent the broke one off to Sony got a black one to tide me over so now I’ll have 2 when it comes back

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Not had any PS5 or PS4 controllers springs break but I'd PS3 ones go, I just took the spring from a broken pen and cut and bent it to size.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Im about to bring back my 4th broken dual sense 5 now since July.

R2 button broke on first one exactly the same as in the OP.

The new replacement for that right out of the box the R1 button was getting stuck. Got another new one as a replacement for that.

And now the x button is sticking intermitantly on the controller that came new with the PS5.

I had 2 dual shock 4s for 10 years with no issues at all. This dual sense is a shoddy build.

Cant fault currys though. They immediately swapped the broken ones for new ones when i brought them back. I had awful bother returning something else to Smyths. Will choose Currys over Smyths forever more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

That's mad, I've had 2 since launch day and no issues, I had a sticky X button at one stage but went after a few days...

Mine are going to break now aren't they?

😬

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Let us know :) I think the chances are high given my experience with them.

Advertisement