Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it weird to be single at 30?

Options
  • 10-10-2021 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I'm a 30 year old guy.

Everyone I know around my age is in either in a serious relationship, engaged or married.

I'm the only single person at work. Sometimes I feel like people pity me for that.

Is it that odd?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It's only odd if you're weird about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭spakman

Not yet, but you'd want to get moving!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

No

• Registered Users Posts: 25 guitarathome

No

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭scottygee

Def no. Maybe at 40+++ that's when you worry.

• Advertisement

Not sure why it would be odd being single at any age?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'd say it's normal enough... if your a leper... Wacka Wacka!

Ara just start attending bingo nights and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

No , its not

objectively speaking , some people will struggle to find someone for a longer period of time than others , luck comes around and someone will appear so be alert

Post edited by Mad_maxx on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I think its weird to be married at 30

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's way weirder to think it's weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭AllForIt

It is not weird to be single at 30. What is weird is to think it's weird to be single at 30. Or any age for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Hamachi

No; it’s not and I say this as somebody who didn’t marry until I was 33.

The only really weird thing on this thread is those who feel the need to critique the life choices of strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Married at 34 back to single for a while now. It's only weird if you make it weird.

At the end of the day, better alone than in bad company 😁

Your workspace is odd if it doesn’t have any single people aged 30. If they are older what do you care.

Even at the height of the 19C when Christianity pushed marriage up to 20% of people never married.

Anyway, probably nobody is actually thinking about your life at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

As the saying goes, a bitter ending is better than an endless bitterness.

The tide is turning…

Better than being in a bad marriage or relationship.

I’m guessing you are in a rural area, everyone desperate to get married and settle down the more rural the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I'm single and a complete weirdo! But the real question is am I weird due to being single or am I single due to being weird?

Post edited by Montage of Feck on

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 29 grassmoon

Ireland has the highest average age at first marriage in the world at 35.8 years according to wiki.

I wonder why this is?

• Advertisement

Compared to England we grow up slower. I don’t mean that the Irish mature slower, but we stay living at home with parents etc. longer than they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I got married at 22, didn’t work out because we were both nuts but that’s surely part of the deal if you’re getting married at 22. 28 now and I’d rather be single than in a ferocious mental bullfight of a relationship. Also it’s not a zero sum game where you’re in some absurd abyss or you’re in a content state of mutual love and support. Relationships have a price too, so if you ain’t done found somebody who makes that price worth it then you really shouldn’t get into one for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭JPup

What is Worldatlas? Grassmoon’s figure of 35.8 comes from the Central Statistics Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I was single at 30 and had been for years before that and understand entirely the situation with everyone around you at work in a relationship or married or whatever.

One thing you do feel is loneliness and I tended to work a lot harder/later than others.

Then one day a young pretty 27YO joined where I worked and began making an effort to talk to me and was really friendly. Soon afterwards we initially kissed and days after I asked her out. . . and she turned me down. Later we ended up on a date and started a relationship but it only lasted 6 weeks. Loved her with all my heart but she was coming from a bad place as she had left a relationship of 6 years just before she met me. I was a rebound.

Shortly after I fell into a sea of depression and sadness. . . . and I'd have given anything to have been just lonely at 30 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I used to work with a lot of Polish people who thought it was weird that I was single and would often ask why, but then most of them were married by 25. They tend to settle down younger. The Irish lads were more like, ahh you're probably better off." I think women generally judge you a bit more harshly for it, at least in my experience anyway. Then again there was more women than men in my last job.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Marry by 35, be craving single life again by 45.

Who cares? Most people think the grass is always greener for the other guy. Live your own life in a way that makes you happy first, every day, and the rest will follow. If the rest includes singledom for the next 70 years, eff it, you'll still be the happy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I cant really see why people want to be in a relationship. I was in a horrible relationship for a few years. I am mid 30's and love the freedom of being single but the main positive of it for me is I can go on a date tonight with someone and then go on another one next week with someone else. The job I am in means I meet loads of woman every day, I am my own boss and live a very care free life, no money worries, no kids, women see this and want to hang out go on dates etc I let them know from the start I am not looking for anything serious. Doesn't seem to put them off, then if they get too clingy I move on.

Never have been lonely for being single, am very happy in my own company.

I think most people settle down because it is seen as the thing to do. pity more people cant just do their own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Not really since I feel the average 30 year old in Ireland has the maturity of someone in their early 20s.

I think most people are just into doing their 9-5 and going home and they actually don't care about the lives of their coworkers.

It only gets weird if the person keeps going on about how lonely they are or how they're such a nice guy etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

So far, 30's have proven to be the best decade of my life for being single (other than Covid)!

I find it very strange that you would even ask this question. It has never even entered my head if being single in your 30's is "weird" or not. Why would it be??? I have lots of friends who are married, but I also have lots of friends who are single. I can honestly say that I don't in any way envy any of my friends who are married with kids. I know it sounds cruel, but I often feel sorry for them. But it seems to be what they wanted and say are happy, so I'm happy for them in that regard.

Advertisement