Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bayview, The Coast, Baldoyle - Is it a good area?

Options
  • 09-10-2021 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello Everyone,

We are looking for a house to buy. Recently, we went for the launch of Bayview, the coast. We were interested in 4 bed property (priced 555K). The location of the property suits me as it is 25 min drive from my office. However, I am having doubts as it is near to Clongriffin train station and few people told me that area is a bit rough on other side of railway track. Also, agent told me that there are proposed apartments on this side of railway station (16 storied buildings). Would it make sense to invest 555K in this part of Dublin? What is the resale value of this location? Any view/thoughts? Thanks a lot.

Post edited by DOCARCH on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

There was a guy killed just outside clongriffin a few years ago, but I think that was part of some gang dispute in another area

Haven't heard of much trouble since then

The apartments nearby were built just before the bust and I think a few of them ended up in negative equity and the area was a bit grim for a while

Things are probably picking up a bit since then as there's more amenities in the area now

Personally I think 555k is pretty mad money for a house but that's how property prices are going unfortunately.

Since you mentioned 25 mins to work, would that be in the direction of Dublin city? I don't know if it'll suit you much, but I'm in Swords and if I take the tunnel it's only about 15-20mins to the city centre.

When I was heading into the office I'd do a couple of hours from home then drive in after 10am to get the cheaper toll (I've an electric vehicle so it's only €1.50 during off peak times)

It might be a good idea to look at ways you can shape your job around where you live rather than the other way around

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sagar_raturi

Thanks a lot Amazing for your comments. It is pretty expensive and that's why a bit concerned spending that much in that area.

For me work from home works well. My office is in Dublin 2 but do not have to necessary go to office. In fact, I have been to office just 7-8 times in last 2.5 years. I was not aware that there is a toll if you travel to city center (I have not owned a car till now and am planning to do it once I settle on the house. I know it should be other way round :) ).

Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

There is only a toll if you use the tunnel Sagar.Tunnel gets you in very quickly, but obviously you pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Toll is only for the port tunnel (for now, city council might bring in emissions charges)

IMO, if you're able and happy to work from home, then commute time isn't a priority. What's an hour's commute if you only need to do it once a week? If you've a comfy car then just crank up the music and relax

So you can probably set your sights further afield if there's anywhere else you were considering

Since you mentioned you're looking at a 4 bed, I'm guessing you have kids or are planning to have some.

If that's the case then I'd look very closely at what local amenities there are for little ones. Schools and childcare are the obvious ones, but also things like a decent park or walking space and a playground and sports pitches will save you a lot of sanity.

I'd also try to live somewhere with quiet roads. I grew up on a main road and could never play outside, whereas there's constantly kids playing on the roads in my current estate

Having said all that Baldoyle is generally a nice spot so it should be grand

As for the house holding its value, well your guess is as good as mine. Probably worst case scenario is you get into negative equity and can't sell. If that happens, at least you'll be in a big enough house for your needs and the good thing about Dublin property prices is that they tend to recover first if there's a downturn

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Theres 800 apartments up to 15 stories going in close to clongriffen dart station on the coast side

• Advertisement
Advertisement