Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Salary expectations.

• 08-10-2021 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hello there,

I am hoping somebody very experienced in changing jobs might be able to advise me on this...

Unfortunately, I am not experienced in changing jobs/applying for jobs. I worked in my previous role for a very long time but was made redundant last year as a result of the pandemic. Since then , I have been trying to figure out my next chapter and trying to upskill.

My question is I recently applied for a role of service assistant/receptionist with the Law Society of Ireland. I have just received an email from them asking what my current salary package is and what my salary expectations are for the role? Is this the normal procedure these days? I don’t know anybody who works for the Law Society and it’s not listed on Glassdoor. I have obviously tried googling it but with no joy. Would anybody have an idea of the salary they would be offering? I have no idea what to put down. I am on a very low salary at the moment and am continuously dipping into my savings-jobs are not plentiful in the middle of a pandemic. I don’t want to pitch too low in case I shoot myself in the foot or pitch too high in case I exclude myself. I feel like I am in a game of poker and am being made to show my hand first.... I am not very good at poker unfortunately.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do not tell them your current salary,unless it is relevant to the job.

Personally always say market rate for the job - but sometimes this costs me the job.

IMHO, always give a range, eg 22-28k.

Try Google for salary surveys, to see what others in jobs with similar titles are paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

posted twice, cant deleted.....

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭defiantdancer

Thanks Mrs O!

Salary range is a good idea, will do that. Re stating current salary, can I say I don’t want to disclose that?

However, it would be very easy for them to find out as it is the first point of the pay scale of the Dept of Health....

I am pretty clueless about this sort of stuff and need to get up to speed quickly. The last time I was doing so many job applications, I used to keep all my rejection letters in a biscuit tin under my bed! Now, you don’t even get rejection letters! Am showing my age here but hopefully it will give somebody a laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Annascaul

Use exactly these words: I am usually being put forward for similar roles in the salary range between this and that figure....... Be sure you have spoken about your experience beforehand.

Advertisement