Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Salary expectations.

• 08-10-2021 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47 defiantdancer

Hello there,

I am hoping somebody very experienced in changing jobs might be able to advise me on this...

Unfortunately, I am not experienced in changing jobs/applying for jobs. I worked in my previous role for a very long time but was made redundant last year as a result of the pandemic. Since then , I have been trying to figure out my next chapter and trying to upskill.

My question is I recently applied for a role of service assistant/receptionist with the Law Society of Ireland. I have just received an email from them asking what my current salary package is and what my salary expectations are for the role? Is this the normal procedure these days? I don’t know anybody who works for the Law Society and it’s not listed on Glassdoor. I have obviously tried googling it but with no joy. Would anybody have an idea of the salary they would be offering? I have no idea what to put down. I am on a very low salary at the moment and am continuously dipping into my savings-jobs are not plentiful in the middle of a pandemic. I don’t want to pitch too low in case I shoot myself in the foot or pitch too high in case I exclude myself. I feel like I am in a game of poker and am being made to show my hand first.... I am not very good at poker unfortunately.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,857 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble

Do not tell them your current salary,unless it is relevant to the job.

Personally always say market rate for the job - but sometimes this costs me the job.

IMHO, always give a range, eg 22-28k.

Try Google for salary surveys, to see what others in jobs with similar titles are paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭ KeithTS

posted twice, cant deleted.....

• Registered Users Posts: 47 defiantdancer

Thanks Mrs O!

Salary range is a good idea, will do that. Re stating current salary, can I say I don’t want to disclose that?

However, it would be very easy for them to find out as it is the first point of the pay scale of the Dept of Health....

I am pretty clueless about this sort of stuff and need to get up to speed quickly. The last time I was doing so many job applications, I used to keep all my rejection letters in a biscuit tin under my bed! Now, you don’t even get rejection letters! Am showing my age here but hopefully it will give somebody a laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ Annascaul

Use exactly these words: I am usually being put forward for similar roles in the salary range between this and that figure....... Be sure you have spoken about your experience beforehand.

Advertisement