Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have experience with Solar and TAMS

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Got a quote for a 4.45Kw system, with a Solis 5.0kW Inverter and a 3.5Kw Battery. Coming in over 10k. How does that sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Go to the renewable energy forum for quotes and feedback. There's years of discussion on pricing and system specs.

Including VAT. I'm going to price up without battery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Ina windy spot in the mountains are they secure on a shed, also do they still generate in overcast conditions

• Advertisement

Just found out that TAMS is a non-runner for me:

In the case of Solar Photovoltaic(PV) panels, 100% of the electricity generated from the panels must be consumed on the applicant’s holding for farming purposes.

It falls under TAMS II- Organic Capital Investment Scheme in case anyone is wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Are you definite on that? If so my application won't be accepted as the house and farm is on the same meter. The agent I had the agreement with said nothing about that to me??

I was just quoting from the TAMS documentation, so it seems so. A PV installer is checking it out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

OK thanks it was the first I heard of it so Id be interested to hear what your installer says.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I was just thinking probably the optimum system would be battery storage for two days use. Solar and wind charge up backed up again by charge up on night time rate supply.

Don't know how that'd work though. The current systems seemingly cut supply of power from solar panels to battery and maybe all in event of power cut. It's not a cut off switch at the meter. (well that's what a solar company posted online).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I wonder does that mean you can't put panels on a farm that's connected to the farmhouse.

That being said, I've put panels on my sheds (8kwp) and put it under the house grant (€1800). Worked with a local installer in the NW, done some of the donkey work myself (running cables etc). and spent a day putting panels on the roof as a 3rd pair of hands/telehandler driver.

All in the Solar PV install costed me 3850+vat. (Also will have accelerated capital allowances on it too)

Tracking my usage, for the house and farm, on solar only is about 10yrs payback.

Battery system is a completely separate inverter with a DIY battery from ali Express. Payback on that is coming in at about 7 yrs.

I'll have better numbers in January as them paybacks are calculated on Jan-Jun

Panels and batteries cover nearly all my day rate use from April-Sept, and most of the night rate use in may-july. (except for the EV!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

We’ll done, it’d be great to hear how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

10yrs payback on a largely DIY install, so any sort of professional installation is probably at best going to be a 15yr+ payback?, thats still the main stumbling block for me with solar, I want any of my farm investments to be more like 6 or 7years max.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

What would a 15 kw turbine be like?

I've 10kwh, I could extend to 20 for about 1k if I get the batteries at the right price (currently it's about 1.4, but that would only benefit me oct-feb with charging on night rate)

Our yard isn't a big user of electricity, biggest thing now is the new barley crusher. And the solar is helping a bit there, but it's now Oct, days are dark and short. I'm charging the batteries on night rate. All the barley was treated into the shed with solar with plenty to spare!

The solar install was professional, I was just the go-for! Over the 2 days they were here I prob sped them up by a day. My install was a bit more costly than normal as I ended up putting the panels about 50 m away from the inverter, which put about 200-300 onto the cost of it alone just for the cable! There was no (suitable) power on the shed, and nowhere really suitable to put the inverter there either. So panels are on the silo pit shed and inverter is in the barn!

I would say a lot of the adverts for savings are exaggerated to say the least, to save the money you actually need to be able to use the power.

A lot of farm investments never pay back (but a lot makes life a lot easier) but this one will - even just for the house it's worth it.

I'd say if your interested get a few quote, and know what electric you actually use.

This seems to be misleading. I was onto my Solar Rep and he says you can be connected to a domestic dwelling but the first 5000( not sure on the number) units you export to the grid will not be paid for. So really it will be up to you if you want to pay more upfront and get paid more long term or not.

That's misleading too... There's no feed in tarrif (for export) at all, all there is only a consult done so far and nothing really announced yet. It's expected to be around 5c/ kwh. And a smart meter is needed too, and the way the current tarrifs are, your better off on a day night rate than a smart tariff...

Advertisement