Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gear oil change,

• 07-10-2021 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

hi all,anyone have any idea cost of a gear oil change,i have a 161 rav4?thanks

Comments

DIY and it cost only oil + your time. I think you are only person in Ireland who ever was thinking about gear oil change. Typically nobody does not care about that until gears is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Not everyone is confident, has the skills or tools to work on their own car. Plenty of people have their gearbox oil changed as its suggested to them to get it changed. You are looking at €100 - 200 to get the gear oil changed unless its automatic then probably over 200

Be grateful was not an Audi, was quoted €650 by a main dealer recently.

Why you need to pay 100-200eur if the oil cost less than 30eur? Is it really so hard to open only 2 plugs? Start from the fill plug, if that does not work then do not drain the oil. Simple reason, you can not fill easily the gearbox by drain plug. Possible but hard to do. The automatic gearbox oil change is very different and I suggest to read service manual before any DIY attempt. And remember, your transmission can have more oils than only gearbox oil (axle, transfer case). Never over torque the plugs. If the manual gearbox drain plug is not magnetic, think about the upgrade. Cost only little money and can increase the gearbox life time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭sniperman

thanks all for info,i believe toyota says change gear oil every 60,000 miles or so,thats what ive read anyway.

• Advertisement

It is completely ok on normal use. If you tow, race or heavy foot then need to reduce the miles. Only be very sure to use the right oil on gearbox. You can not use just a generic gearbox oil. Read the manufacturer recommendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Just had the gearbox oil changed on my 6-speed manual. 2015 with 70000 km. The oil was black and very low viscosity. Based on this experience it seems like madness that people don't take gear oil change seriously.

Good job! The oil plug had magnet or not? With magnet is fun, you can see all the metal shavings. Because manual gearbox does not have any filter, the magnet is the best "filter". The manual gearbox oil changing is so easy, only new oil have strong smell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I didn't get to see the plug, the mechanic didn't love the idea of me hovering, but was able to have a good look at the oil.

Most important, job is done. Typically people do not see anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

Have a look on YouTube for tutorials on changing transmission oil for your year&make.

I gave it a go on my mk1 focus last year as a lock down project. Great satisfaction and only cost around €30

There is only 1 suggestion. If you can not open the fill/level check plug, do not drain the oil. It can be nightmare to get the oil back by drain plug hole. Nothing impossible, just need special adapter and oil pump. Do you want to know, why there can be the problem? Because mechanics almost never torque oil plugs properly. Over torqued plugs is the problem. Most of the gearbox oil plugs torque is around 25-45Nmm, follow the manufacturer recommended spec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

Buy a vacuum pump and DIY - easy and painless, after a few services you’ll get your money spent back( my car requires cvt oil change every 2/3 oil changes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

What we're they going doing for that? George Dalton done my A6 stronic for 180 euro compared to Audi which was 290 and a half arsed job..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Most people don't bother doing gearbox oil, it's considered "for life" by many manufacturers. However, oil does break down over time so it's not a bad idea to change it.

The oil itself shouldn't be that expensive and you probably won't need all that much unless it's an old school auto box in which case you might need 5 or 6 litres, depends on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

I just changed the gear box oil (and coolant) in my 6 speed manual bmw 2008. I figured the gearbox oil had never been replaced up until now. I used a friends pit to get access under the car. Overall it was easy enough, remove under panel, crack open fill plug, open drain plug and drain oil, pump in new oil. I put in about 300ml more oil than I took out and the gears are now nice and smooth. It made a huge difference to 1st and reverse gear which I had been having issues with.

Advertisement