Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been codded?

Options
  • 07-10-2021 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭

As a naive young man I was on holidays on Italy (pompeii). A couple of girls wearing tshirts that said "Pompeii Tourist Board" stopped us and sold us a trip for 40e a head (80e in total) that amounted to a standard taxi journey to vesuvius which would have cost less than 30e in total if we flagged down a taxi on the street.

It was a strange feeling to know that I was duped so easily and these unscrupulous feckers parted me from my hard earned money without a care in the world.

Have you ever been deliberately codded by someone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Yep twice….

once in Dunnes and once on Moore street…

nothing like having no where to go to get the stink off ya… I hate being slapped with wet fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Would finding out a bra was padded qualify?

If so, yes.

Bought a ticket off a tout for a sold out music fest in Chelmsford quite a few years back. Examined the ticket really closely and was happy it was real. Made the school boy rookie error of handing it back to the tout before I paid for it. Feel for a sleight of hand ticket swap and the one he actually gave me back when I paid was an obvious fake but I did not see it until much later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

In Egypt 10 years ago at the hotel the little **** that provided the pool entertainment sold us an all inclusive package to a beach party that he was running on the side. You pay for the entry and your drinks upfront. Wife said sounds good let's do it. I was more skeptical as I didn't trust the little ****. We get to the party at 11 to find out the drinks aren't included until after 1am..and it's only for 1 hour. I was really pissed of. That turned to a different level of pissed off when I finally got our inclusive drinks we paid for. Massive line at the bar only to be served beer in a whiskey glass, which as essentially mostly froth.

I lost the head. Found the guy and called him all kinds of a slimy bastard. He bought the drinks for the rest if the night for us. Probably because i questioned if the Raddison know he had this job on the side and was using his position to recruit customers.

I over reacted, but it was a cumulative of the entire week in Egypt of literally almost anyone we met trying to take the piss. The only ones that weren't were the ones that wouldn't look at you, if they smiled at you, you know it was coming.

I'll never forget the bus back to the airport. Holiday rep say to all, hey everyone enjoy the holiday? He was met with a few groans and tumbleweed. I was sitting across from a guy from Belfast with a loyalist tattoo on his forearm. We had a friendly conversation and both agreed on certainly 1 thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,041 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Was taken in by a phone scam years ago and more recently by an email one. Mercifully have forgotten many of the details...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Myself and the wife once arrived straight from the airport train in to a Paris metro station and we were looking around for the ticket office to get a local rail ticket to head to our accommodation.

It was late enough in the evening and a 'helpful' local asked if I was OK and needed help. When I explained that I was looking for the ticket office, he told me it was closed at that hour and I would have to use the machines on a nearby wall. He watched me head towards them and then try to work out the screen language change. He then offered to help further explaining that the machines worked on a travel card payment system. I of course didn't have the travel card ... but he did and could get the ticket for me (I know.... I know...)

He put his card in and talked me through every step of the transaction to buy a week long local access ticket for me and the wife .... all perfectly explained and he showed me the total cost - which I paid him in cash and then the two tickets were spat out. We then headed for our local train and swiped the tickets through the gate... no problem.

The next morning however, the barrier would not let us through and the now open ticket office explained that we were holding single journey tickets that had been used the night before. We had paid for the far more expensive week long options.

Scammed.... minutes on arrival in Paris ... left a sour taste in the mouth that still lasts many years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Got codded by a taxi driver in Prague once. I thought he was bringing me to a strip club. Turned out to be an occult brothel with all sorts of weird stuff going on. There's a slight chance I might have walked in the wrong door though.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

When I was 16 I got done for €50 by some ethno-cultural fellows with the 3 card trick at the Ploughing Championships.

Think that was the only significant-ish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Taxi man in Vietnam codded us.

Stupidly we never checked the exchange rate. Just landed and agreed 15 USD into the city. Half way through the journey he said he'll only take Dong so had to go to an ATM. We believed him that 3 million dong was the correct fare, it should have been 300k. Eejits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

When in Italy, never trust anybody that comes up to you as a tourist guide. Most of the times they aren't.

Never trust a restaurant menu that has been handed to you by the waiter if you are a foreigner, in several bars and restaurants in the most attractive cities (mainly Rome and Naples) they have two menus, one for locals and one for foreigners, and the latter one has crazy prices on it.

Italy seems the homeland of scammers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Adhamh

Literally the very first minute I arrived in Mumbai airport

Trying to get my bearings and walked out of the front exit where the taxis were lined up, waiting to take people away. They were quite scammy looking so I went back into the airport to book a taxi from one of the genuine taxi offices. As I walked in again through the main front entrance (with a big clear sign, clearly saying 'Entrance Only') the official doorman singled me, the obvious gora in a crowd of Indians who were also entering the airport via the entrance, and told me that I can't go back in that way and tells me that there's no point going inside to book a taxi when those kindly gentlemen behind me will take me anywhere. I start kicking up a fuss and an armed soldier, who clearly wants a cut, comes over to 'smooth things out'. I storm off and walk around for a few hours until the bus shows up, but that's another story which would take hours to type...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tony H

yes in Soho London in the late 70's, was enticed into a so called stripper show (didn't take much enticing ) , paid a big entrance fee and overcharged for 3 pints of warm beer , after an hour waiting for the entertainment we complained and were thrown out on our asses minus 30 pounds each ,

we didn't give up hope though and ended up in Paul Raymond's Revubar , and got corrupted but not codded too much .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Bought a Subaru with check engine light on.

Lovely clean car.

Showed me the error report that a sensor was gone but a new one was €200 plus labour.

2 mechanics and 300 or 400 later feckin light still on.

Had to sell on to a guy with no interest in NCT at a nice discount ultimately

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

I just got fkkkin scammed on Facebook. First time ever, I must be getting senile.

Take an EU survey to get a "free" hotel voucher. And then I paid for it ??

I paid via PayPal so maybe I'll get it back. Was 25e but it's the doh factor

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yes, I'm pretty dumb a lot of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

For the non-Irish amongst us, or Irish below a certain age..

"codded" = conned.

It has nothing to do with fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭enricoh

Scumbag boss wouldn't pay me for a week or 2s work on a building site in Germany. I was 18 n dumb so I got boozed up and slashed the tyres on his van. Dogs barking etc n I woke the entire street up! I. Shudder to think what I'd have done if the boss turned up.

Rented a scrambler in Thailand as my mates did scuba diving n handed over my passport. Brought it back at the end of the week and your man pointed to a laughably small and old scratch n wanted e30 iirc. Out of principal I wasn't paying but there was a murky underbelly about the place n went back and bit my tongue n ponied up the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,083 ✭✭✭mada999

once in Madrid, paying a tout for 2 tickets to Real Madrid vs Liverpool.. some english lad selling tickets for €150 each. Seen the lad outside the stadium selling more tickets....i was like wtf

looked legit, friend of mine tried to scan ticket on way in turnstile... no joy and if it remember correctly got a few slaps off stewards/cops...my ticket worked but didnt go in. We watched the game in a pub..

second time i had a lucky escape/weird experience... was in St Petersburg in Russia and got off the plane but my luggage didnt follow.... we were staying at 5* hotel and had a car booked to take us from the airport to the hotel. I told my partner to go and take the car and get checked in etc and i'll see about my luggage.

waited for ages to speak to someone in English, my gf took a photo of her bag tag and they were able to tell me that my bag was still in Amsterdam and that they'd send it to my hotel in a couple of days. So I headed to look for a taxi to take to the hotel. Seen loads of signs for Airport official taxi kiosk which was outside the terminal building. Started speaking to the lad in the Kiosk and he didnt want to know... some lad appeared beside the Kiosk and yer man pointed to him.. Told him where i was going and he said come with me... We walked about 50 meters towards the multi storey car park, the guy was a few yards head of me and two lads joined him... i was like wtf?? took another couple of steps and just swiveled and started walking back to the airport.. I didnt even look back...

got back into the airport and there was an Irish bar... asked for a Guinness and i mean it was the worst ever.. i sip and i had to change it...

was a bit shook so after the experience, not sure what the 3 lads were gonna do... ended up ringing the for the hotel car...€60 well spent lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

This was actually quite funny because I was drunk.

Myself and some friends were in Nice on a girl's weekend away.

We were in an area with pubs/clubs and pretty drunk.

Now, bare in mind..this area wasn't a 'strip' area teeming with tourists and it was also a week day night.

These local girls appeared from nowhere and we started up a bit of banter, chatting and high spirits.

Us Irish girls were pretty well on.

Anyway, the girls said they knew a club and would take us there..

We went in and I turned around to my Irish friends a few minutes later and asked where our new friends had gone!

They laughed at me and said "they were working for the club, paid to bring people in."

They couldn't believe I actually thought the new girls wanted to tag along with us as friends.

In my drunkenness I was actually a bit gutted that they only wanted our money not our company 😅

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Yep. It was an Asian crowd presenting a website as if to appear British. It had the '.co.uk' part to it. It was a pair of shoes I wanted. I should have known it was too good to be true. I even spotted a bad typo on their website before buying, so I should've known as the warning sign was there.

Advertisement