Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed rail line - National Development Plan

Options
  • 06-10-2021 4:20pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Some interesting news, if it ever comes to fruition.

I'm really interested to see where the stations in Shannon will be exactly, and what route it will take through Shannon. A station in the industrial estate would be within a few minutes walk for me, and another proposed station would be at the parkway, which is close to where I work.

I'll start holding my breath now I suppose. :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Double post. God damn stupid new site. I'll retype later.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I think the site puts in two of your post the first time, then tidies it up later. If not, let me know. :-)

Yeah, that's what happened and when I edited the second post, both got edited.

Anyways as I was trying to say, I think holding your breath would be a bad idea. The Greens have thrown a lot of ideas out there without any actual planning. I'm pretty sure this failed a cost benefit analysis a number of years ago (pre crash) when the airport was busy.

I also think that if it was to be done, using the windy single track Ennis Limerick line would be a mistake. It would need a double track for a proper commuter service and the link through the Limerick suburbs can't be widened.

It would be cool to see, but I can't see it happening in the next 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

When this was first raised, 15 years ago or so, the proposed route was in by Caimins School from Bunratty, across where Senans pitch is and around Drumgeely hill (which was to serve the industrial estate) before reaching the airport.

• Advertisement

The new route seems to go through smithstown now. I just can't figure out where it's going to go once you get as far as Atlantic air aviation. Maybe it can go between MidWest Tyres and Shanahans paints, and then through that field.

All pie in the sky right now I suppose. Are these the types of trains that they can share the road with the tracks? Or would these need their own area I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

mad to think this will be the only airport to be linked by rail. Are there any similar plans for Cork airport?

It won't be the only one, or even the first (if it ever happens). The metrolink in Dublin will be finished long before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

That metrolink wont be complete for another 15 years at a minimum!

It's not as far away as you think. And even if it was 15 years away, a rail link to Shannon won't happen in that period either. As I said before the project failed a cost benefit analysis in the 00s when the economy was booming and the airport had over 3.5m passengers. It's not going to pass one now when it's below 2m (pre covid). These rails plans are unrealistic, uncosted and impractical fantasies from the Green Party.

The only way a viable rail link occurs is on a completely new twin track alignment between Limerick Shannon and Ennis. Otherwise it's remain quicker to travel by road as we have already seen with the Limerick to Galway line. That will never happen either though as it would cost billions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

Doesn't the fact it's been committed to in the plan and the plan is to be completed by 2030 mean that they are at least targeting to have it completed by 2030 and it is going to happen one way or another?

No. Have a look a previous development plans to see how much actually gets done within the time frame, if at all. Then there's the likelyhood that after the next election the new government will develop their own new plan, so this one will be obsolete mid decade.

Or is it like when I tell the Mrs I'll put up the shelf. You don't need to remind me every six months, I'll get it done! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

If it is not going to be used to move freight,which it should be as well to make the airport a viable cargo hub. This would also mean getting maybe the Limerick /Foynes line up and running again to connect the port to the airport, well then why not go a hanging monorail line to do people delivery from a changeover station someplace convenient on the Lmk /Ennis line?Will cost about the same, but be less hassle than laying conventional tracks all about Shannon.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Whatever chance you'd have of getting people to use a train service from Limerick to Shannon for work - it needs to be quick. And having people disembarking in Cratloe to wait for a monorail or whatever would totally negate any chance of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Why at Cratloe for a start?And using a monorail is alot quicker than waiting for some slow train on a single line track, and a lot friendlier to build than mucking up the countryside and Shannon town with laying tracks? But anyway, it's a pie in the sky exercise...Makes about as much sense as believing that Foynes/Shannon can be turned into a cargo hub in the 1st place.Makes no logistical or economical sense.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

A mono rail would be idea through the industrial commerical prak. The rail link from the airport to city on edinburfg is the business. Unfortunately we arent good at seeing the long benefits of such projects. If they cant sort the metro link to dublin airport this will never happen in our life time no matter the environmental or economic benefits to the region

You're referring to the Edinburgh tram system that came in at more than twice the original cost, for half the originally planned network, took six years to build 14 kilometres and runs at a loss in a metro area of nearly one million?

"The scheme had an initial estimated cost of £375 million in 2003, but by May 2008, when contracts were signed, the cost had risen to £521 million. The final cost after delays was £776 million.

After running for two years, the scheme had achieved pre-tax profitability (excluding maintenance and infrastructure costs) and exceeded the original ridership targets. It has run at an operating loss since 2018 (e.g. -£9.4 million in 2018)"

And just to mention, I used it once and it was so slow I never bothered again and got a taxi instead. Took 40 odd minutes to get to the city centre. Taxi takes about 20.

It was such a disaster there is public enquiry into the whole sorry mess. I sincerely doubt, with our record of public projects (the childrens hospital being the latest one of course), that we would do much better. And I certainly think there is zero chance of it being economically viable in an area with a population that is a fraction over 15% of the Edinburgh area.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see a link between Limerick and Shannon airport but it needs to be both cost effective and fast, if you want to get people to stop driving cars to work you need to make it attractive and a link that costs as much but is slower and less convenient just won't do that.

Advertisement